R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Setup Advice Rating? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/793885-setup-advice-rating.html)

AZRC4Me 02-17-2014 10:08 AM

Setup Advice Rating?

Does anyone else think a Setup Advice Rating tied to your user name, much like the Trader Rating, would be useful? The thought is to distinguish those who provide useful and correct setup information from those who have no clue what they're talking about. You give correct advice, you get +1. You talk outta your rear orifice, you get -1. Just a thought...:tire:

Nitro Tiger 02-17-2014 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me (Post 13016521)
Does anyone else think a Setup Advice Rating tied to your user name, much like the Trader Rating, would be useful? The thought is to distinguish those who provide useful and correct setup information from those who have no clue what they're talking about. You give correct advice, you get +1. You talk outta your rear orifice, you get -1. Just a thought...:tire:

I know of another large forum that does something like this which does help distinguish between people.

KThatcher 02-17-2014 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me (Post 13016521)

You mean to tell me that there are people posting setup advise that have no idea what they are talking about.... :confused:

No way..... -2 for you Sean for even suggesting such a thing!

mkiiina 02-17-2014 12:02 PM

I have been on a few forums that have this kind of rating system and it usually gets abused in short order.

Setups are really hard to rate as well. What makes a good setup for you at your track may not work for me at mine. There are general setup tips that are good but 9/10 a specific setup may only get you in the ballpark. Heck even throughout the day a setup may need to be tweaked but you have "the good" setup on your car you have a false sense of security.

BillyT. 02-17-2014 12:06 PM

Sorry. This is dumb. Biggest issue is a setup that works for me, may not work for you. And who's to say the problem you are having and asking for a way to correct it has even been properly diagnosed?

IMO, it is up to you to gather all the info an figure out how it applies to you and how to use it.

It's just not as cut and dry as did this guy rip you off or was a good seller/buyer.

Jaz240 02-17-2014 12:06 PM

If you boil your engine it will add more flex to it and therefore get better fuel mileage.

BillyT. 02-17-2014 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mkiiina (Post 13016852)
I have been on a few forums that have this kind of rating system and it usually gets abused in short order.

Setups are really hard to rate as well. What makes a good setup for you at your track may not work for me at mine. There are general setup tips that are good but 9/10 a specific setup may only get you in the ballpark. Heck even throughout the day a setup may need to be tweaked but you have "the good" setup on your car you have a false sense of security.

This guy gets it... :nod:

BillyT. 02-17-2014 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 13016870)
If you boil your engine it will add more flex to it and therefore get better fuel mileage.

But how long do I boil it for and what do I use to test the amount of flex to know it is right?

Jaz240 02-17-2014 12:11 PM

You have to boil it in beer for 48 hours. Add some bratwurst if you want that added advantage but keep that a secret because only us super fast snooka guys know that trick! When you take it out of the boiling water if you grab the cooling head and twist and you hear 4 snapping noises you know its perfect!

AZRC4Me 02-17-2014 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by KThatcher (Post 13016810)
You mean to tell me that there are people posting setup advise that have no idea what they are talking about.... :confused:

No way..... -2 for you Sean for even suggesting such a thing!

Lol Thatch!

Originally Posted by BillyT. (Post 13016868)
Sorry. This is dumb. Biggest issue is a setup that works for me, may not work for you. And who's to say the problem you are having and asking for a way to correct it has even been properly diagnosed?

IMO, it is up to you to gather all the info an figure out how it applies to you and how to use it.

It's just not as cut and dry as did this guy rip you off or was a good seller/buyer.

You are missing the point. It's not about "does this guy's setup sheet work for me?" but instead "is the advice being given correct or not?" If you're blindly copying someone's setup, best of luck. It's much more important to learn what does what and why, and this was just an idea of how to separate the people on here who know what they're talking about from the 12yr old kid who spent 5mins on wikipedia. Obviously it would need to be moderated closely. Just an idea, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

BMenard17 02-17-2014 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 13016890)
You have to boil it in beer for 48 hours. Add some bratwurst if you want that added advantage but keep that a secret because only us super fast snooka guys know that trick! When you take it out of the boiling water if you grab the cooling head and twist and you hear 4 snapping noises you know its perfect!

Water or beer your off track here are you sure you know what your talking about -1 for you!!

30Tooth 02-17-2014 03:11 PM

The "tune with camber links" thread has helped me setup my own cars and seems a good way to teach how to setup instead of relying on internet advice :)

aloksatoor 02-17-2014 06:38 PM

hahah its a good idea but can be abused. I used to be on the headfi.org forums. It seems to be controlled now from far east manufacturers manipulating headphone reviews/amp reviews etc. rctech is pretty much still not biased towards any yet.

Jaz240 02-17-2014 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by BMenard17 (Post 13017347)
Water or beer your off track here are you sure you know what your talking about -1 for you!!

that was test to see if you were actually paying attention to my advise! +1 for you :lol:

BMenard17 02-17-2014 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 13018206)
that was test to see if you were actually paying attention to my advise! +1 for you :lol:

Wahooo!! +1 for you cause I said so!