Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
just another what would you buy post. rtr buggy edition. kyosho mp9 readyset or rc8.2 >

just another what would you buy post. rtr buggy edition. kyosho mp9 readyset or rc8.2

just another what would you buy post. rtr buggy edition. kyosho mp9 readyset or rc8.2

Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 113
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default just another what would you buy post. rtr buggy edition. kyosho mp9 readyset or rc8.2

happy tax time to everyone that gets a return. my financial advisor, aka wife, has given me the go-ahead to spend a little money. I want to get into nitro buggy racing this summer. I also want a buggy that has a good brushless conversion kit. I am aware that rtr's are lower quality but I got a tax return, didn't win the lotto. I'm torn between the mp9 readyset and the rc8.2rs because you can gradually build these buggies up to full on race spec as you go. any opinions would be appreciated.
benbishop98 is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 PM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,629
Trader Rating: 7 (82%+)
Default

well I would get a mpe rtr or the serpent 811b rtr
RavensNightFury is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 PM
  #3  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (31)
 
wombat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 955
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

MP9 all day long - in rtr spec, the MP9 has got it all over the AE IMHO.

Take a look at the Serpent as well, great spec for a rtr
wombat is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 PM
  #4  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
packerbacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: sc
Posts: 499
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I drove a serpent e buggy last weekend and was really impressed with it. Car ran real good and jumps like no other I have drove.
packerbacker is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 PM
  #5  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: johnson city ny
Posts: 260
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

buy a used setup off here dont waste your money on rtr
jenson40 is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 PM
  #6  
Tech Fanatic
 
mv91pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: marshalls creek pa.
Posts: 993
Default

Originally Posted by benbishop98 View Post
happy tax time to everyone that gets a return. my financial advisor, aka wife, has given me the go-ahead to spend a little money. I want to get into nitro buggy racing this summer. I also want a buggy that has a good brushless conversion kit. I am aware that rtr's are lower quality but I got a tax return, didn't win the lotto. I'm torn between the mp9 readyset and the rc8.2rs because you can gradually build these buggies up to full on race spec as you go. any opinions would be appreciated.
god i hate rtr s. by the time you get the ae rs even close to being good enuf to compete you could by a mp9 tk13 kit. i assume you dont have a radio or anything else? also you want a nitro buggy or an e buggy.
mv91pony is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 AM
  #7  
Tech Fanatic
 
mv91pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: marshalls creek pa.
Posts: 993
Default

just saw a mugen mbx6 eco artr.(no batt) 400 bucks. great car. seen um run and win all the time. used get urself a used sanwa mt4 radio and a hobbyking batt and charger. all for the price of a rtr kit. and itll walk all over either of the rtr kits you mentioned. just a thought
mv91pony is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM
  #8  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (25)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 280
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

If you MUST get a RTR, I'd recommend Losi. Their engine and electronics are better than those that come with the others, and will be much less frustrating. Also, they include a starter box, which is 1000x better than the pull starts included with other RTRs. Not sure on the ETA for a 8ight 3.0 RTR, but they do have the 8ight 2.0 RTR available and it is tried and true.

Associated is coming out with another buggy VERY shortly, and it should be an all new platform, so I'd steer clear of the RC8.2 RTR. I really like Kyosho products, and the MP9 Readyset is pretty solid -- but I'm not a fan of their RTR radio products or engines.

So if you must have a new setup for around $600, Losi for sure. BUT if you're not dead set on a new setup, you could pick up a good used setup for around the same or a bit more.
lknracer is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 AM
  #9  
Tech Fanatic
 
mv91pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: marshalls creek pa.
Posts: 993
Default

Originally Posted by lknracer View Post
If you MUST get a RTR, I'd recommend Losi. Their engine and electronics are better than those that come with the others, and will be much less frustrating. Also, they include a starter box, which is 1000x better than the pull starts included with other RTRs. Not sure on the ETA for a 8ight 3.0 RTR, but they do have the 8ight 2.0 RTR available and it is tried and true.

Associated is coming out with another buggy VERY shortly, and it should be an all new platform, so I'd steer clear of the RC8.2 RTR. I really like Kyosho products, and the MP9 Readyset is pretty solid -- but I'm not a fan of their RTR radio products or engines.

So if you must have a new setup for around $600, Losi for sure. BUT if you're not dead set on a new setup, you could pick up a good used setup for around the same or a bit more.
i agree with the 2.0 nirto rtr. includes everything, even start box. plus you get a dx3s radio. plus with the 3.0 out its a steal right now. probly the most complete race ready rtr out right now. batts and fuel and ur racing. plus parts are available at most tracks. forgot all about that car. no brainer. if your thinking of used. lol remember its new until the first run on the track. it is a nitro buggy. but the losi 2.0 is buy far the most for your money
mv91pony is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,624
Default

Originally Posted by jenson40 View Post
buy a used setup off here dont waste your money on rtr
+1, RTR is worthless
they make it cheaper and worse quality, and include useless junk engines w/pullstart that always crap out
Eivind E is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 12:49 PM
  #11  
Tech Fanatic
 
mv91pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: marshalls creek pa.
Posts: 993
Default

Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
+1, RTR is worthless
they make it cheaper and worse quality, and include useless junk engines w/pullstart that always crap out
i agree.but if hes dead set on one. you gotta admit the losi is the best way to go. its a true entry race level package. and at my shop their selling them for 600 out the door. and im not a losi guy.
mv91pony is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 12:54 PM
  #12  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (18)
 
rc lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 454
Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Wink buggy rtr

I think everyone has a good point for me I would buy from here with a setup that some one is willing to sell for a great price. Or like it has been said 2.0 rtr is your other choice.
rc lover is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 04:31 PM
  #13  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spring Texas
Posts: 560
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

you know if you spend 400 bucks for a rtr you could get a OFNA/Hong Nor X3 sabre from Nitrohouse for under 300 bucks right now. then you just get a good 21 such as os21 xb blue head or the os21xrb blue head and an os 2090 pipe and a good radio to go with it! With an rtr you dont allways get top notch stuff and you spend more than grand trying to upgrade it when you could just build a kit up from the ground and have a blast building it! this way you get to choose what things to add such as servos and batteries etc and thats my two cents Michael
stoney452 is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 PM
  #14  
Tech Fanatic
 
mv91pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: marshalls creek pa.
Posts: 993
Default

Originally Posted by stoney452 View Post
you know if you spend 400 bucks for a rtr you could get a OFNA/Hong Nor X3 sabre from Nitrohouse for under 300 bucks right now. then you just get a good 21 such as os21 xb blue head or the os21xrb blue head and an os 2090 pipe and a good radio to go with it! With an rtr you dont allways get top notch stuff and you spend more than grand trying to upgrade it when you could just build a kit up from the ground and have a blast building it! this way you get to choose what things to add such as servos and batteries etc and thats my two cents Michael
the losi and the serpent are way under a 1000 bucks and are +100 far better than that ofna buggy. jmo. i havent sen an ofna win a race in a decade. no offence. but ido agree with the rest of your post. os xzb is badass. and building your buggy is key i think in understanding setup and maintinence.

Last edited by mv91pony; 02-13-2014 at 05:36 PM.
mv91pony is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 07:11 PM
  #15  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 375
Default

With a coupon at Amain a rc8.2 kit will run you $375 excellent car tons of parts support both online and on eBay and a solid car that won't break not for lack of trying. You get one build it how it says in the manual but use the very inner upper shock mounting holes and build the shocks with atleast half rebound.
homershoots is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.