Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What's the best "race" buggy to buy, looking for most bang for buck >

What's the best "race" buggy to buy, looking for most bang for buck

What's the best "race" buggy to buy, looking for most bang for buck

Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 AM
  #1  
Suspended
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 58
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What's the best "race" buggy to buy, looking for most bang for buck

I'm buying a new 1/8 scale nitro and I've always stuck with major name brands bc they are easier to find and get parts for. I'm thinking this time around I may go outside the box but I know nothing outside the circle of brands I do know.

I have been thinking about the ofna sabre x3 with a picco boost .28 swap. ..

Opinions would be helpful
GvilleFloridaR1 is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 AM
  #2  
Tech Fanatic
 
mv91pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: marshalls creek pa.
Posts: 993
Default

Originally Posted by GvilleFloridaR1 View Post
I'm buying a new 1/8 scale nitro and I've always stuck with major name brands bc they are easier to find and get parts for. I'm thinking this time around I may go outside the box but I know nothing outside the circle of brands I do know.

I have been thinking about the ofna sabre x3 with a picco boost .28 swap. ..

Opinions would be helpful
hot bodies d812 is great car for the money. probly the most adjustable car also. under 500 for roller
mv91pony is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 AM
  #3  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,049
Default

What do you want to do with it? Can't race with a .28...

IMO Mugen.. They keep their value better than the rest...
Herrsavage is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 AM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (88)
 
Motorman007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,366
Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
What do you want to do with it? Can't race with a .28...

IMO Mugen.. They keep their value better than the rest...
If you not racing and.Just bashing get a used one.

Off eBay or here

If plan on racing mugen, hot bodies, jq.

First off how much do you.have to spend?

Like what Sav said what are your plans?
Motorman007 is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 AM
  #5  
Suspended
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 58
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
What do you want to do with it? Can't race with a .28...

IMO Mugen.. They keep their value better than the rest...
Originally Posted by Motorman007 View Post
If you not racing and.Just bashing get a used one.

Off eBay or here

If plan on racing mugen, hot bodies, jq.

First off how much do you.have to spend?

Like what Sav said what are your plans?

I don't want to buy used bc then I'm just assuming someone else's problems. There is a really nice track here local, I plan to race my buddies there but nothing official. I really like what I read about the .28 boost. Anything I've ever bought before was rtr... I don't mind building something of my own but if I can get a race quality rtr buggy and swap the motor I'll do that. If there is anything that really is "race quality " rtr..

Money really isn't an issue but I will be beating it up. I'd like to get the new losi 8 3.0 but I don't want to build it from the ground up if I can get away with it..

I'll be bashing and every now and then throwing slicks on it and drifting a spot I have for fun.

I thought the sabre might be a good place to start but I don't know how u guys feel about it. I bought a hpi pulse last week for $450 something and opened it , then closed it and sent that over priced pos back.

I really would like something that I can find parts for easily.... preferably towerhobbies bc they send me coupon codes that save a ton of money...

A good roller would do as well. I have a few really nice Savox servos and a few extra spektrum rx's as well
GvilleFloridaR1 is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 AM
  #6  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,049
Default

Serpent has an RTR buggy - Savox servos, Novarossi engine, etc.. Associated also has the RC8.2 RTR - not as great as the Serpent probably, but likely cheaper, and 100x the parts support..

Last edited by Herrsavage; 02-09-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Herrsavage is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (53)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 4,524
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by GvilleFloridaR1 View Post
I don't want to buy used bc then I'm just assuming someone else's problems. There is a really nice track here local, I plan to race my buddies there but nothing official. I really like what I read about the .28 boost. Anything I've ever bought before was rtr... I don't mind building something of my own but if I can get a race quality rtr buggy and swap the motor I'll do that. If there is anything that really is "race quality " rtr..

Money really isn't an issue but I will be beating it up. I'd like to get the new losi 8 3.0 but I don't want to build it from the ground up if I can get away with it..

I'll be bashing and every now and then throwing slicks on it and drifting a spot I have for fun.

I thought the sabre might be a good place to start but I don't know how u guys feel about it. I bought a hpi pulse last week for $450 something and opened it , then closed it and sent that over priced pos back.

I really would like something that I can find parts for easily.... preferably towerhobbies bc they send me coupon codes that save a ton of money...

A good roller would do as well. I have a few really nice Savox servos and a few extra spektrum rx's as well
Don't buy a RTR car, you get what you pay for in this hobby. Buy cheap = buy twice. I guarantee you'll spend twice as much after replacing the crappy engine, servos, and cheap stamped/cast aluminum parts.

If you want a solid proven buggy and good motor at a low cost with tower coupons go with the Hotbodies D812, O.S. engines .21 XZ-B "blue head" engine, ofna truggy starter box, and werks 2058 pipe combo.



http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDBHU&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVTB&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAESB&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRLU1&P=ML
nv529 is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 AM
  #8  
Suspended
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 58
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
Don't buy a RTR car, you get what you pay for in this hobby. Buy cheap = buy twice. I guarantee you'll spend twice as much after replacing the crappy engine, servos, and cheap stamped/cast aluminum parts.

If you want a solid proven buggy and good motor at a low cost with tower coupons, go with the Hotbodies D812, O.S. engines .21 XZ-B "blue head" engine, ofna truggy starter box, and werks 2058 pipe combo.



http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDBHU&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVTB&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAESB&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRLU1&P=ML

Man I was really digging the serpent until I read this. It makes a ton on sense... Idk why I really want a .28 but I do... I don't know much about the os motor you suggested, how does it compare to the picco boost .28?
GvilleFloridaR1 is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:34 AM
  #9  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,049
Default

This is a heavily racer-centric forum, so you're going to get racers' recommendations..

Whether or not you really need a $1400 full-on decked out race kit (add in decent servos and a radio and a couple sets of mounted tires to the above..) to bash around with friends I don't know...

OS engines are known to be really good, and user-friendly too.. Easy to break in, etc..

The Picco is overkill in a buggy, but hey, why not if you're not gonna' be doing organized racing?.. Just go +1 up on the clutch bell...

There's a guy here on rctech named janderson78 I think - he was selling Sworkz buggy kits really cheap a while back.. If he still is, and you want a top-flight buggy kit for half the price, look him up...
Herrsavage is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 11:23 AM
  #10  
Suspended
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 58
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
This is a heavily racer-centric forum, so you're going to get racers' recommendations..

Whether or not you really need a $1400 full-on decked out race kit (add in decent servos and a radio and a couple sets of mounted tires to the above..) to bash around with friends I don't know...

OS engines are known to be really good, and user-friendly too.. Easy to break in, etc..

The Picco is overkill in a buggy, but hey, why not if you're not gonna' be doing organized racing?.. Just go +1 up on the clutch bell...

There's a guy here on rctech named janderson78 I think - he was selling Sworkz buggy kits really cheap a while back.. If he still is, and you want a top-flight buggy kit for half the price, look him up...


I kinda figured that... But it makes sense... I have never been on that wanted to go the cheap route on something... I am seriously thinking about that kit... I just have never setup up something from scratch like that before... I have rebuilt everything I have owned numerous time so I feel like I am no rookie but I still dont feel super confident making sure I have everything that is needed to get it right the first go around..

I really liked the serpent rtr kit you reccomended... It doesnt say much about about the nova motor... specs etc... You know much about it?
GvilleFloridaR1 is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 11:25 AM
  #11  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,049
Default

No.. Just saw some pics of one on another forum by some guy who got it..

Building a kit is awesome.. Easy. All you need is a couple decent hex drivers - 2mm and 2.5mm, basically.. Some blue threadlock. Most kits come with oils etc..
Herrsavage is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 AM
  #12  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (52)
 
Jaz240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,494
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Don't overthink it. Pick the one you think is cool and go for it. After a few months if you decide the hobby is for you than you can go crazy and spend every paycheck on the latest and greatest stuff. The best advise I ever got was that this hobby is 80% money 10% wrenching and 10% driving so make sure your cool with all that before you take the deep plunge. For now just concentrate on the fun and cool factors. You can have just as much fun with a $300 investment as you can with a $1500 investment. If you are not getting into competitive racing than don't worry so much about top quality gear.

Last edited by Jaz240; 02-09-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Forgot the not
Jaz240 is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 11:57 AM
  #13  
Suspended
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 58
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Don't overthink it. Pick the one you think is cool and go for it. After a few months if you decide the hobby is for you than you can go crazy and spend every paycheck on the latest and greatest stuff. The best advise I ever got was that this hobby is 80% money 10% wrenching and 10% driving so make sure your cool with all that before you take the deep plunge.
I've learned very quick that you need a consistent flow of money to stay in or around this hobby. I have been in it for over 7 years but always have bought name brand RTR stuff, that was fun, but ultimately was crap.

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
For now just concentrate on the fun and cool factors. You can have just as much fun with a $300 investment as you can with a $1500 investment. If you are getting into competitive racing than don't worry so much about top quality gear.
I agree with you for sure. But I am tired of cheap stuff. If someone made an awesome quality RTR buggy I would buy it ... I wish there was more feedback on the serptant..

But I want something that will last and I know is a solid ride. If I need to build it that I guess thats what I have to do.. I just dont want to get in over my head... I dont know if the diffs in this kit come assembled or what... I can build a buggy Im sure, I just haven't built a diff, drive line from scratch before and I dont want to f it up.


Is the hot bodies kit mentioned above a roller already assembled or a kit that I have to build from ground zero?
GvilleFloridaR1 is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 PM
  #14  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (52)
 
Jaz240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,494
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Ofna makes very durable RTR's but like most RTR's the engine, servos and radio will be subpar. There cars don't really break but parts support is somewhat lacking. If you have experience and prefer better quality stuff than stay away from RTR altogether. You will spend more money for sure but you get to take 500 pieces and turn it into a racing machine which for most of us is one of the best parts of the hobby.
Jaz240 is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 PM
  #15  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,049
Default

I love building kits. I was nervous the first time too - but it's easy.. And not only that - but rewarding..

Still.., doing up a race kit will cost easily double what even a good RTR like the Serpent or even AE RC8.2 will.. Of course after spending $1200+ you'll have a really awesome car.. But at that point, are you really gonna' want to just bash it around? IMO there's a psychological price barrier which can be crossed, beyond which bashing won't be as fun and carefree as if you'd spend less.. If you have the budget, then by all means - race kit, good engine, good servos, good radio, starterbox, and on and on.. But if you're not gonna' do organized racing, then the Serpent would be more than fine.. - IMO..

If your main hesitation about getting a kit is just building it - pppffff.., yeah, forget that. Building is easy and fun.. Gonna' cost you though..

BTW, an Ofna RTR LX2 or whatever it's called, with a Picco, would be a good basher.. Ofna makes good quality stuff.
Herrsavage is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.