Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
eight t 2.o rear diff >

eight t 2.o rear diff

eight t 2.o rear diff

Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default eight t 2.o rear diff

Having trouble getting the ring and pinion mesh right. Did it with what the manuel says and it feels notchy. Funny thing if i stay within the 6 shims and shim more on the right side it seems to get better. Help. And using .o25 and .010 shims.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The manual is just a guideline. It needs to be slightly notchy when brand new. After a few tanks, it should be smoother, but it's still important to recheck the mesh.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Yup. Notchy good on those, when new.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for info guys. Gunna go with what the manuel says and recheck after first race
And yes it is brand new diff
Old 02-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

The manual set up will cause you issues . It needs to be shimmed tight enough that , when you rotate the diff with the gearbox screwed together tight , you actually feel a high spot . The others were trying to tell you the manual set up is garbage. search losi 2.0 diff issues if you want more clarification
Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

^^ thanx for that info. I actually did shim more on left side and felt the high spot and still felt notchy so i stopped. Gunna def look up that info. Thanx guys for all help.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I also look and make sure the ring gear is running in the center of the pinion. I have put a small shim behind the pinion gear to insure that there is plenty of tooth engagement. The buggy too. Its just a good idea to have PERFECT mesh so you are not out of a big main do to failure.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by motoclay View Post
I also look and make sure the ring gear is running in the center of the pinion. I have put a small shim behind the pinion gear to insure that there is plenty of tooth engagement. The buggy too. Its just a good idea to have PERFECT mesh so you are not out of a big main do to failure.
got it right, motoclay..........kinda like you would do in a 1/1 scale diff....really not all that different that setting up a full scale diff......also, i make extra sure that i use a good quality moly gear lube for the ring/pinion that doesnt sling as easy..........in all my years of racing nitro, i've never had a diff fail. maintenance and proper set-up's where it is............
Old 02-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alexrckid View Post
..........in all my years of racing nitro, i've never had a diff fail. maintenance and proper set-up's where it is............

Exactly.

Dont see why so many are having issues. I know its different than AE, Xray and others, but it not rocket surgery!! When you check the play, put both case halves together and tighten down the bolts. You will get inconsistant results if you dont.

Here's a great idea, maybe we can start a new thread each time instaed of finding the one for your specific vehicle. I think this is like the 10th or so
Old 02-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Adam drake has a video on what the diff should be, Tight all the way around the the ring with a few extra tight spots will get you through a full hard day.especially with long mains.