R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   D8T or 8ight T 2.0 rtr for racing? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/790774-d8t-8ight-t-2-0-rtr-racing.html)

Bsud 02-04-2014 07:16 AM

D8T or 8ight T 2.0 rtr for racing?

I know ive been asking a lot of ? lately but im getting ready to get into racing this summer and im ordering this week! These are the two D8T and 8ight T 2.0 rtr. Which one of these should i go for? Im on a budget around 850. No bias comments please just help me out on what direction i should go. Thanks!

wever75 02-04-2014 07:26 AM

8ight T

Bsud 02-04-2014 01:10 PM

come on guys help me out. These are tough decisions:sweat:

LOW ET 02-04-2014 01:39 PM

d8t all the way.

imrob 02-04-2014 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by LOW ET (Post 12975935)
d8t all the way.

D8t all the way. It like indestructible and a very good car handles great.

JEDWARDS 02-04-2014 04:15 PM

Having ran both the D8T and TLR T2.0 for quite some time I can say either but since you say tlr "RTR" I would say the nod goes to the HB. The 2.0 RTR will have you wanting to upgrade the chassis to the less stiff "tuned flex" version for greatly improved handling, probably want to change out to the V2 shock towers, change out motor,possibly the electronics(possibly), etc. among other things to it to make it more competitive. These are all things that can add up pretty quickly that you won't have to do to the D8T or the "NON" RTR TLR. I know that package looks pretty yummy from a price standpoint but it will leave you wanting to change out quite a few things pretty quickly. The TLR will also have you nervously keeping an eye out for constant wear i.e. cvd pins, rear diff gears and housing that go out unexpectedly,where the HB will wear better. If you said the standard 2.0 or the awesome new 3.0 I would give the balance back to those 2 but you will have to pick your own motor and electronics for those(as well as the HB)anyway which I would prefer over RTR gear. I still think the HB is an awesome handling truck but I would personally shy away from the RTR. My 2 cents and only my opinion. Good luck!

BillyT. 02-05-2014 08:42 AM

Order a D8t from a hobby shop at a track. Order everything you need to build the thing from that same shop. The insight you receive from them will be invaluable.

Or, at the very least, if you have to order the the car online, get everything else from a local shop, WITH A TRACK, that races 1/8th scale, or at the very least find a guy that works at a shop that actually races. Don't have Joe's planes and trains shop tell you what you need to buy.

The RTR truck will be fine for bashing, even driving on a track, but it will really show it's weaknesses when it comes time to race. The biggest of which is gonna be 7 minute run times from that 454. 7 min run times would ruin even the best drivers chancing of doing anything good in a truck race, where 10 plus minutes is the norm. Two pits in a 15 min race is no good. Hell, you will prolly run out of fuel in a 7 minute qual...

ThePanda 02-05-2014 08:48 AM

Stop making these threads on " which to get." You will get different several answers on each. Just choose which looks good to you.

Klimpen717 02-06-2014 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by ThePanda (Post 12978656)
Stop making these threads on " which to get." You will get different several answers on each. Just choose which looks good to you.

Why?

mkiiina 02-06-2014 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Klimpen717 (Post 12982242)
Why?

For the following reasons:

-Because 9/10 times it becomes "get ____ as thats what I run and its the best!"
-Also it's a single snapshot in history. What happens if someone comes out with a part that fixes all the problems with a platform or there is an update or an item gets marked down because it's discontinued?
-How much will it really be raced vs bashed? What are the traction conditions like?
-What parts does your LHS have, what do your fellow racers have? Having to order a part online vs having 1 in the shop or from a friend can be the difference between making the main and packing it in early.
-How about driving style, you like a ride thats more neutral, aggressive, etc?

There are simply too many variables in the equation and why these "help me spend my money" threads are a waste. Do your own research and see what suits your situation the best. Read up on both cars and post the questions you have left in the correct thread.

Really not trying to be mean but these popup in every forum :blush:

oh and for my answer - Get the TLR 3.0 and pick your own components. Will save you in the long run as you get exactly what you want vs having to spend more later to swap out cheapy RTR parts.

Bsud 02-06-2014 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=ThePanda;12978656]Stop making these threads on " which to get." You will get different several answers on each. Just choose which looks good to you.[/QUOTE

you pissed cause i didnt. buy yours? Well get over it!!

I Wheelie A LOT 02-06-2014 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by mkiiina (Post 12982327)
For the following reasons:

-Because 9/10 times it becomes "get ____ as thats what I run and its the best!"
-Also it's a single snapshot in history. What happens if someone comes out with a part that fixes all the problems with a platform or there is an update or an item gets marked down because it's discontinued?
-How much will it really be raced vs bashed? What are the traction conditions like?
-What parts does your LHS have, what do your fellow racers have? Having to order a part online vs having 1 in the shop or from a friend can be the difference between making the main and packing it in early.
-How about driving style, you like a ride thats more neutral, aggressive, etc?

There are simply too many variables in the equation and why these "help me spend my money" threads are a waste. Do your own research and see what suits your situation the best. Read up on both cars and post the questions you have left in the correct thread.

Really not trying to be mean but these popup in every forum :blush:

oh and for my answer - Get the TLR 3.0 and pick your own components. Will save you in the long run as you get exactly what you want vs having to spend more later to swap out cheapy RTR parts.

+1 I completely agree. Theres no right or wrong answer to this.

hambone 02-06-2014 09:03 PM

Buy a reputable racers 8t 2.0 non rtr and pick up the bits you need along the way. The rtr losi will cost you do much in the long run changing it to a real racer. Seen many folks do that and regret it. Since the 3.0 truggy came out there's many great racers rebuilt and ready to roll. I know cuz I have one. But it's not for sale, lol.

Bsud 02-08-2014 11:47 AM

I purchased a D8T that a guy on here had, I've ordered a werks B2 .21 racing engine and a dynamite 053 pipe, also ordered the airtronics mt4 radio system and the ofna blue truggy starter box with a 14.8V lipo to run the box. I can't wait to get this thing and get it completed and on the track! This racing stuff should be fun!

Franchise 02-08-2014 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bsud (Post 12988904)
I purchased a D8T that a guy on here had, I've ordered a werks B2 .21 racing engine and a dynamite 053 pipe, also ordered the airtronics mt4 radio system and the ofna blue truggy starter box with a 14.8V lipo to run the box. I can't wait to get this thing and get it completed and on the track! This racing stuff should be fun!

I run the b2 with the 2013 pipe in my d8t and love it. Went up one tooth on the bell with two carbon shoes and two aluminum. That things sound so freaking Awsome.

On subject, I would go with the d8t simple because of the price of the parts .I have never had a problem with mine but spare parts are cheaper. Bot trucks are very cometitive on the track but racing wears out parts. Losi stuff is expensive.