Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Which Scale to Race in Australia >

Which Scale to Race in Australia

Which Scale to Race in Australia

Old 02-02-2014, 02:45 AM
Tech Regular

Default Which Scale to Race in Australia

Greetings to all fellow members.
As you can see, I'm new here but hope to remain a member for many years to come.

My last participation in R/C Nitro Truck racing was back in the mid 90's while I was residing in the UK.
As a member of the B.R.C.A and of the local Northampton RCMCC, I regularly competed at a wide variety of clubs
with my trucks.

All my three trucks were AE RC10 GT's with OS 12TZ engines and all my radio gear was KO Espirit Vantage II.
Regrettably, when I emigrated from the UK, I sold all my hobby related stuff.

The main reason for my first post to the community here is not only to introduce myself, but to also tentativley enquire:-

Which is the most popular scale of Nitro trucks race here in Oz these days, as 1/10 does not appear to be one of them.
also is anyone willing to suggest which model manufacturer would be the best to invest in, for off-road track racing,
eg; Mugen, Kyosho, Lossi, Team Associated, HPI, or similar quality brands that I have yet to explore?
Good radio gear tips eg; KO, Futaba, JR or similar quality, would also be very appreciated.

Many thanks,
Dave.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Hi Bushman, I noticed this post & seen there was no reply so thought I would try to help, there is also an Australian section on this forum as well so you might be better off looking there.
As for popular scales, well I guess 1/10 offroad would probably be the most popular, wether that be buggy or SCT, they both have good followings. Not to sure about 1/10 stadium trucks though, haven't seen to many of them but it depends on the location.
1/8 scale nitro buggy & truggy is still pretty popular & electric 1/8 buggy is becoming more popular as well. Check out a local club & see what classes they run.
Most of the brands you mentioned should have good cars but I'm not really sure what models they have as I have 1/8 not 1/10.
For a good radio, check out the Sanwa range, the MT-4 is a great radio with some great features & is really well priced, easy to use & great quality, a new updated MT-4s with a couple more features has been released as well & the top line M12 would be hard to beat but it cost a bit more to & is a bit heavy for some people.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default Which Scale to Race in Australia

Many thanks for spending your time to reply to my post oziii.

After looking around on the RCTech site, I found the rctech.net/forum/australian-racing-29/ and re-posted to it on there.

As yet, my post has not been cleared by RCTech 'Administrators or Moderators' which according to some, who are familiar with the RCTech forum website,
will not be happening any time soon.

Maybe I have not chosen the best Ozzie forum for all things Ozzie RC Racing related, in order to get back into the sport.
But who knows, someone might chime in and point me in the right direction?

Once again oziii, thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Last edited by Palebushman; 02-13-2014 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Added those funny little faces lol.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

G'day Bushman, you're in Toowoomba now? I'm a member of the Toowoomba club, we're only having our first run of the year this sunday so its a bit early to tell how popular each class will be this year, if you're set on nitro then 1/8 buggy or truggy is the way to go but 2wd electric short course is already looking like the most popular class, if you're not doing anything on sunday feel free to come check out the club and meet some of the members.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

1/10 2wd electric - boring/10
1/10 4wd electric - mediocre/10
1/8 electric - 6.5/10
1/8 nitro buggy - YEEEEAAAAH/10
Old 02-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Palebushman View Post
Greetings to all fellow members.
As you can see, I'm new here but hope to remain a member for many years to come.

My last participation in R/C Nitro Truck racing was back in the mid 90's while I was residing in the UK.
As a member of the B.R.C.A and of the local Northampton RCMCC, I regularly competed at a wide variety of clubs
with my trucks.

All my three trucks were AE RC10 GT's with OS 12TZ engines and all my radio gear was KO Espirit Vantage II.
Regrettably, when I emigrated from the UK, I sold all my hobby related stuff.

The main reason for my first post to the community here is not only to introduce myself, but to also tentativley enquire:-

Which is the most popular scale of Nitro trucks race here in Oz these days, as 1/10 does not appear to be one of them.
also is anyone willing to suggest which model manufacturer would be the best to invest in, for off-road track racing,
eg; Mugen, Kyosho, Lossi, Team Associated, HPI, or similar quality brands that I have yet to explore?
Good radio gear tips eg; KO, Futaba, JR or similar quality, would also be very appreciated.

Many thanks,
Dave.
Haven't seen 1/10 nitro ST class run for a few years here in oz, mainly due to lack of manufacturers making these cars anymore and the easy/power/affordability of lipo and brushless systems over the last 3-4 years.

1/8 nitro both in buggy and truggy still has a strong following/turnout at club level, but not like it used to be as everyone has jumped on the 1/10 electric buggy bandwagon which is by far the strongest/most popular category here in oz in the past 2 years. 1/8 electric buggy has a following, but not as many numbers that turn out at club level compared to 1/8 nitro

So if it is nitro you want, go either a buggy or truggy 1/8. If 1/10 is your thing, elec buggy or truck. I've noticed Short Course trucks have died off as suddenly as their popularity rose, with a lot of people making a switch to 2wd/4wd buggy (although SC class is still well supported), their f$%kn ugly boats anyway and just look awkward driving around....

Best supported/most popular brands in oz:
1/8 - Mugen, Losi, Kyosho
1/10 - Losi, AE, Kyosho (Team Durango is popular, but not very well supported as it used to be since Venom/Redstar Hobbies shut up shop a year or so ago).
Radio Gear - Spektrum, Futaba, Sanwa (would go either a Futaba 4pl or Sanwa MT4, decent radios for the price)

Personal choice at the end of the day.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks to Sully, Eivind E and, especially your very enlightening post, Wombat.

Okay guys, this is the way I'm intending to go:-

1/8 Buggy= Mugen MBX7, Xray XB8 or Hong Nor Sabre.

Radio= KO or Sanwa (Wombat's good suggestion)

Servos= KO or Sanwa

Engine*= Picco, OS or Novarossi
* not too keen about bits of silicone in the crankshaft design

Will be visiting the Toowoomba track over the week-end to have a squiz and
maybe check out the best place/s to purchase the above too.

PS;
The last 1/8 Buggies I had back in 1998 were TT EB4 and a Bergonzoni R1, unfortunately they got stolen so that's why I went down the AE RC10 route, they were a cheaper solution to stay in the sport.

Last edited by Palebushman; 02-13-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Spelling