Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
setup station: is it worth it? >

setup station: is it worth it?

setup station: is it worth it?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:46 AM
Tech Champion

Default setup station: is it worth it?

Hi,

I'm asking this for the 1/8 off road category, is a setup station a real advantage in terms of precision compared to standard camber and toe gauges? It's for a racing use.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

No real advantage setting up a car. I use one on a new car or a rebuild just to square everything up perfect. But once you are at the track it is usually a crank here, a crank there without the setup board.

I think there is some use in documenting your setup also. Say at the end of the day of adjusting and your car feels really good on the track. Toss it on the setup station and take some measurements and jot them down for future reference and repeat ability.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:20 AM
am
Tech Master

No
Old 01-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Yes to get it right.

No after you done the setup.

I would ask around to use someone else setup station.

I have one and only time I used it is when i get a new kit and after a total rebuild.

I like to have it when I need it, and helping others that don't have the xtra cash to buy one. They are welcome to use it.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 AM
Tech Champion

I never set up my xb9 with a station and I rebuild my cars quite often so maybe it could be an option

is there a big difference between hudy and other stations (precision)? I've seen integy is making a station but don't know about other brands out there..
Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I have this one

hard-racing

http://www.hard-racing.com/productio...7105&pageNum=1
Old 01-24-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

I setup my car with the station after every rebuild. This is usually before a big race.
And when I change the length of my upper links I also use it to verify that I have a neutral base to start with.

If I only need to change the camber, then I don't use the setup station. Then I change left/right equally until I have the feeling that I want.
Sometimes I set the car back in the setup station after the final so I know how much camber I ran.

I'd say it's nice to have and it I feel confident when I know my car is setup right before a big race. But on a raceday, I don't use it unless I try a longer/shorter camber link.
If a friend has it and you can use it now and then, I'd spent my money on tires.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I love my hudy setup station. I use to struggle to get an accurate toe measurement. Not anymore!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
I setup my car with the station after every rebuild. This is usually before a big race.
And when I change the length of my upper links I also use it to verify that I have a neutral base to start with.

If I only need to change the camber, then I don't use the setup station. Then I change left/right equally until I have the feeling that I want.
Sometimes I set the car back in the setup station after the final so I know how much camber I ran.

I'd say it's nice to have and it I feel confident when I know my car is setup right before a big race. But on a raceday, I don't use it unless I try a longer/shorter camber link.
If a friend has it and you can use it now and then, I'd spent my money on tires.
Hi morgoth, nice to have a feedback from you

I always had troubles to keep a consistent setup especially for camber and toe, this is why I might be interested in a station. On the track gauges are just fine but as mentioned a station could be interesting after a rebuild.

You're right for the tires, this is the most important but I just bought 18 sets for a steal price so I should be ok
Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

In offroad racing i believe that there is just to much slop to get any kind of accurate measurements. I personally just make sure all of my links are exactly the same length side to side and that my steering rack is square. I am a "numbers" guys and would LOVE to be able to perfectly record my setup and to perfectly recreate a certain setup later, especially front toe. But for now i just try to get close.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by masher81 View Post
In offroad racing i believe that there is just to much slop to get any kind of accurate measurements.
Not too much slop per se, but the slop works in such a way you have to roll the car back and forth and wiggle it a bit side to side, in order to get the angles settled.

I find that when I use the setup station, and put the wheels back on and roll it back and forth, the angles are visually all wrong.
Basicly the setup station doesn't let the car "settle in".

I don't use it much anymore.
Basicly I only use it when I build a kit, and then to set front toe later.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/showimage....b1da311af3c78#

Personally, I don't think a setup station is necessary. I think setup wheels are the most important (you can buy just the wheels...) When ever my car is new or like new, I set all the camber etc with the setup wheels and then take down the measurements of tie rod lengths etc so I have a reference to come back to. The "numbers" don't really mean a whole lot because one guys 2 deg may be way different than your 2 degrees depending on how things were measured and set. I am more concerned with "my" set of numbers and how the car is reacting on the track. I would say setting the front toe in is probably the biggest advantage of a station, but with setup wheels, a 1/32" ruler and a calculator it's not the hard.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/showimage....b1da311af3c78#

Personally, I don't think a setup station is necessary. I think setup wheels are the most important (you can buy just the wheels...) When ever my car is new or like new, I set all the camber etc with the setup wheels and then take down the measurements of tie rod lengths etc so I have a reference to come back to. The "numbers" don't really mean a whole lot because one guys 2 deg may be way different than your 2 degrees depending on how things were measured and set. I am more concerned with "my" set of numbers and how the car is reacting on the track. I would say setting the front toe in is probably the biggest advantage of a station, but with setup wheels, a 1/32" ruler and a calculator it's not the hard.
how do you calculate toe with these?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Worth it to get it. One less thing to worry about. I only use it at home for offroad. But for onroad almost every heat everyone uses it.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
Hi,

I'm asking this for the 1/8 off road category, is a setup station a real advantage in terms of precision compared to standard camber and toe gauges? It's for a racing use.
Yes, setup gauges are worth it, even in offroad, IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.