hmmmmn

Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default hmmmmn

So, I've owned and run ae products since 1996. I gave a couple rc10gt's, and a rc8b and a 8.2. To me, its a hobby! I'll prolly go and enter into a race someday, but, its not a high objective for me... I enjoy reading all the post about different rigs. I'm leaning towards the jq "we" edition. But, am open to other suggestions. My parts support is the internet! I actually like the way my 8.2 handles, compared to me 8b. Do I wait for the new ae kit, or change it up all together? Like I said, I haven't raced competitively yet, but, I want to be prepared if I ever do. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks....
Old 01-19-2014, 02:10 AM
Tech Champion

Lot of options out there.. I've also always had Associated. What I've always wanted and never had is a Mugen, so that'd be top of my wish list probably.. But I've also always liked the looks of the Sworkz..(similar to the Mugen, but for a better price.. But then Mugen seems to retain its value so much better than everything else..) The JQ's are more for people who like 12,897 1/2 set-up options and get into all that from what I've heard and understand. That said the WE seems to get a lot of rave reviews... Still, coming from the AE and Losi mid-range kind of level, Mugen seems to me to be a must-try when moving up to the top-shelf stuff... I also like what I've heard about Mugen re set-up - that they're generally not as set-up finicky as other brands, and well-suited to aggressive driving styles. Not totally sure if that applies to the MBX7, but still..

Whatever the case, there are lots of good options.. The RB One R also looks very cool(to me anyway)..
Old 01-19-2014, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

The Jq and Kyo MP9 will be an easy upgrade for you. Similar cars, with similar ideas.

Switching to a Serpent/Xray/Mugen can be a pain. You have to relearn to drive and tune those cars.

I ditched Mugen because the shocks weren't my style and huge changes in tune hardly altered the cars feel. They aren't setup finicky because nothing seems to really change the car. What you get, is what you get.

The Xray and Tekno are more finicky. Minor changes can help or hurt a lot.

I ditched Serpent because it drives very differently, and I didn't want to start over from scratch.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I ran the RC10 gold tub in the late 80's after tearing up a Tamiya Hornet and Falcon, places in RI got a little thin so I dropped out of the hobby. I started back almost 20yrs later, wow did things change. I went with Jammin gear and ran the X1 CR & X1 CRT, both rock solid and dialed cars, swapped them out for Moogs MBX5 & 5T Prospecs and couldnt have been happier. Divorce forced sales of all it, and this year opened the door to a couple new rides. I went back to my old roots and bought an RC8.2, for me the car was mess and I was a little disappointed, so I quickly dumped it and went back to the Moog, MBX6R, best move for me ever, enter the new MBX6T Eco for the 2014 season.

I looked at and highly considered JQ's cars, I wont knock his gear in any way, but like you parts are priority, and if the LHS doesn't carry them, then its off to the internet we go. If you look around he parts are scarce, very scarce. He's not a big company, I will say from what Ive read his support is top notch, but Id be worry about parts. Im not saying they're not going to be available but the guys in the US running his stuff have Ebay or AMain, Look them up, decided for yourself. Then look up the Mugen gear. The comapny has been around longer and parts are everywhere, I just built a completely brand new MBX6T from parts on ebay combining it with the spares I had from my 6T Nitro, all under $300.
Just My 2¢ Bro.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Shane, one thing I've noticed about you is that you always seem to have top quality gear. That's something that most bashers don't really seem to care about. Bashers usually go for the cheap RTR stuff because they just want to have fun and have no desire to be competitive on a track. With that being said I really think your best choice would be to wait until you start racing if you ever decide to do so. It's going to take you a year or so to find your speed on the track and at that point you can decide what you want your car to do and not do. You don't really have a driving style yet and picking the right car for you is very difficult until you determine how you drive on the track and what's going to make you faster. Not all cars are created equal but all cars can be fast if matched with the proper driver. I've driven allot of buggies and some are stable and lazy and others are twitchy and aggressive. Some have too much steering and others don't have enough but these are all things that pertain to me. I am old and slow so I don't plan on ever winning anything with a buggy but I can you that without the right car you won't reach your full potential. You should race your AE when your ready and then make an educated decision based on your race results and how the car reacts to the way you drive. For now if your just bashing and even when you start racing the RC8.2 is more than a capable buggy.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect

I ditched Mugen because the shocks weren't my style and huge changes in tune hardly altered the cars feel. They aren't setup finicky because nothing seems to really change the car. What you get, is what you get.
You haven't tried a mbx7 yet...every little change in setup can be felt on the track. And as far as durability and wear rate they are at the top of there game with Xray.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Jaz240 with some very sage and prudent advice.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well Scott, here in MN youll get the best track support with either Kyosho, Mugen or Losi. Asociated hasn't had the support in 1/8 off road the past couple of years.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with a Mugen, and like some one else said... It also holds its resale value. If you don't care about racing than setup shouldn't matter, Mugen is tough and wears very little. And when you are ready to race run 5-5-2 with 600/500 shock fluid and the car will drive like a Kyosho on steroids.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

If u like how ur 8.2 handles, u should check out the nb48... Even more nimble, lots of steering, and tough... Parts wear rate should be much better then 8.2 but not sure if can match mbx7 though

Mbx7 can be pretty tricky to setup right, I agree sometimes it doesn't respond much to setup changes... However the upside it's still more forgiving if u're always on throttle
Old 01-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Shane, Show up to any MNRC series race and i will pay your first entry. Come on out, you will have a blast.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rider313
Shane, Show up to any MNRC series race and i will pay your first entry. Come on out, you will have a blast.
Sooo, thanks for the offer! When and where are the events? I won't need my entery fee paid, I'll need pit support! And, a drink! lol.... kidding.,. Let me know! We'll see what happens....
Old 01-22-2014, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Here's the link to our schedule. MotoDome is is Staples MN indoors, Ricks is in New Richmond WI, LooseNuts is North Branch MN, FTR is in Foley MN, and LSRCC is in Duluth MN.

I can be sure to get you set up with pitting and a place to pit. Just let me know which event you would like to attend.

http://www.mnnitroseries.com/index.php/forums

Last edited by rider313; 01-22-2014 at 04:37 AM.