Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
how to remove pro-line rims from wheel hex >

how to remove pro-line rims from wheel hex

how to remove pro-line rims from wheel hex

Old 01-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default how to remove pro-line rims from wheel hex

I've got a set of proline Badlands that I like to run on my RC8T and my MT4. Every time I try to take them off it's a real pain in the ass. Right now I'm trying to get them off of my MT4 to put them back on my RC8T. For the life of me, I can't get them off!! It's like they are glued to the 17mm hex's. These wheels/tires are the premounts on Desperado rims. I'm just trying to find out if there is a "trick" to getting them off. I've wiggled them back and forth and pulled, everthing just flexs and they wont budge. Is the plastic just so soft that the hexs just embed into the rim? If so, I don't think I will be buying any proline rims in the future. The tires are great but, if I can't get the damn rims off, I don't want them. It's like, I'm gonna end up breaking the truck trying to get the wheels off.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

It is probably stuck on the threads the nun feeds onto. I always get mine off by applying a bit of pressure to the axle (where the 17mm nut threads on) and wiggling the tire at the same time. For in the futures,cream out the axle hole in the wheel a tiny bit.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
It is probably stuck on the threads the nun feeds onto. I always get mine off by applying a bit of pressure to the axle (where the 17mm nut threads on) and wiggling the tire at the same time. For in the futures,cream out the axle hole in the wheel a tiny bit.
Just to elaborate a little bit. I put one of the wheels on my vice. I used a socket extension with a hammer. I put the socket extension on the top of the threaded part of the wheel hex with the wheel resting on the jaws of the vice. I've tapped on the extension with the hammer while the wheel is supported by the vice. It just won't pop out! I'm not sure what you mean by "cream out the axle" but, I assume you mean I should lubricate the hex before putting the wheel on. Maybe that would be a solution. For now I'm thinking, maybe I should add some heat from my heat gun to soften it up. This is really pissing me off! Something as simple as getting the wheels off the truck!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Sorry, that was supposed to be ream
Old 01-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Best trick is to hold the wheel with 4 fingers on each side and pull on the wheel while pushing on the hub with your thumbs.

Last edited by Jaz240; 01-12-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Trick not truck
Old 01-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Best truck is to hold the wheel with 4 fingers on each side and pull on the wheel while pushing on the hub with your thumbs.
That
Old 01-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Use a body reader and team out the hole int he wheel, just a little bit. There was a. Run of aka rims that were just a tick too small, hit them with the body reamer and no more issues.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Use a body reader and team out the hole int he wheel, just a little bit. There was a. Run of aka rims that were just a tick too small, hit them with the body reamer and no more issues.
I think I got a set of those aka's
Old 01-13-2014, 01:16 AM
Tech Adept

you could try running the car without the nuts on... that will probably work
Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AllyITA View Post
you could try running the car without the nuts on... that will probably work
I wouldn't go that far. You run the risk of the wheel coming off the hex and then the hex rounding out the rim. just a little time and persistence and they will come off.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

To the guys that suggested that the hole in the middle of the rim was too small and catching on the threads, you were spot on! After lots of pressing, wiggling, and hammering I finally got the rims off. I checked the center holes and sure enough they were all just a little too small and catching the threads. I reamed each hole out and now the rims go on/off with no problem.
Thanx, Micah
Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Best trick is to hold the wheel with 4 fingers on each side and pull on the wheel while pushing on the hub with your thumbs.
+1
Old 01-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I had a set of AKA wheels that one time I couldnt get off my Truggy for the life of me. I hit the center of the wheel with a heat gun for a second and they came right off.