Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Is it worth it to use WD-40 >

Is it worth it to use WD-40

Is it worth it to use WD-40

Old 01-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Is it worth it to use WD-40

I was at the track yesterday. I percieved the angle my MP9 was approaching a jump wrong and jumped off the side of the track into the infield in never never land and promptly drove through a mud bog. After the run was over I noticed lots of mud was bonding itself to my car. I tried to spray it off with the air compressor, but it was too late. It dried faster than my tire glue ever has and bonded stronger as well. Later I saw someone spraying their car with WD-40. I remembered hearing that WD-40 can prevent dirt / mud from sticking. I searched this forum to find out if using WD-40 can be used successfuly for this, but the posts were old, brushed over the topic quickly, got off track or ended in an arguement with in a couple of posts... one guy says it'll make parts brittle, another says it makes parts more flexible etc.

I really would have liked to just use the air compresser to blow the mud off, so that's prompting me to re-inquire. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

When I ran offroad I removed engine, servo tray etc.. Anything that you don't want wet and just take a power washer to it.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

WD40 will not help much to prevent mud from sticking but its what I have used for 15 years to clean my cars. It does not make parts brittle or harm them in any way. It leaves the car clean with a nice dark black finish.

Just remove your engine and electronics and spray the whole car down then blow off and wipe with a towel.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Did your engine take in any mud? If so I'd disassemble that thing ASAP (at least the head, backplate, and carb) and clean it out with the WD-40. Re-assemble using after run oil. I had this happen to me once on my old Savage SS Nitro Star 25 motor and it suffered no ill effects after the WD-40 treatment.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Tech Champion

In the early morning with a clean car you can spray your car with silicone spray.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

+1 to post above. I silicone spray my cars after cleaning them and nothing sticks/stains permanently.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 on the Silicone Spray.

Liquid Wrench makes a silicone spray they sell in Lowe's/Home Depot and it works real well.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Give this a try. We won it in a prize bag at the AMS last year and been using it every since. And the beauty of it is you don't have to remove your electronics.
http://rcxtremekleen.com
Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Has anyone tried never wet. Looks like a good product. Just wanting to know if any one has tried it and how it works for rc.
Thanks
Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
In the early morning with a clean car you can spray your car with silicone spray.
+1 on silicone spray, used it when i raced MX/SX and worked great in muddy conditions. just dont use it when dusty, it attracts dust
Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Protek has some good cleaning products as well.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Austin's dad View Post
Give this a try. We won it in a prize bag at the AMS last year and been using it every since. And the beauty of it is you don't have to remove your electronics.
http://rcxtremekleen.com
This stuff actually works.

Kalgard PrepnShine is a close second.

If neither is available, Pledge or PAM will work. Pam is a little greasy, reserve that for severe conditions.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fun hawg 1 View Post
Has anyone tried never wet. Looks like a good product. Just wanting to know if any one has tried it and how it works for rc.
Thanks
Doesn't work for RC. Air pressure will blow the stuff off. So you can't even blow you car off. Better for fabric and porous surfaces. and maybe the internals of electronics... It just doesn't stand up to any kind of "abuse"
Old 01-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

When i clean my car i use simple green and then i use a light cout of wd40 ... Then use the air compressor
Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Addict

Before racing use Extreme kleen or however u spell it, that stuff works better than anything to stop buildup. Ask anyone who has tried it, I just started a few months ago and will never not use it. At the Fall Brawl at Badlands in Myrtle Beach it was a mud bog and I could clean my cars in seconds with only air after using Extreme. If it isn't muddy your car won't even look dirty after racing, just barely blow off and it's safe on electronics.

But for WD-40 get the new stuff with silicone in it also and I have used that for 3 years no problems it just leaves a little residue.

If mud is really bad remove all electronics and motor, spray down with simple green, brush and wash off with water hose. I go back and drown the car in the WD -40 with silicone including and especially all bearings and never had a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.