Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Help with my .26 buggy >

Help with my .26 buggy

Help with my .26 buggy

Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help with my .26 buggy

Blew off the dust on my OFNA ULTRA. Been about 5 years since this thing ran. Stored it improperly with the last runs worth of sludge hardened in the motor.

I stripped it down gave a thorough cleaning with alcohol, soaked the one way bearing and carb overnight etc. I had changed the sleeve and piston in this, as well opened up the ports on the sleeve. I remember this thing used to just chug fuel lol.

Now when I run it, I get spurratic high peaks in the RPM while at idle. The throttle is in the idle position and out of nowhere it revs to approx 40% and stalls if I dont kick on the brake.

Could this be simply running too rich? or possibly a bad flow of fuel? Im so rusty at this, and I want to get some time out of this motor before its replacement comes when I have the $$.

Here is a video I shot to give a better idea. Its 6 min and shaky, so just skim it and see if there is anything im missing. There is too much snow on the ground so I still have to take it for a run.. Today I just wanted to get it running and loosened up. May also have a bad seat on one of the crank bearings, heard a bit of a 'whirl' on the first few startups.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by ModThis; 01-04-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Tech Rookie

No suggestions??? Any ideas??? hmmm...
Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

How is the sealing on the carb? Stuff like needle seals, and the main seal? I'm not a hardcore nitro person, but it might be a carb problem.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

sounds like its way lean. May have a air leak also just from the way it sounds on the vid.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
How is the sealing on the carb? Stuff like needle seals, and the main seal? I'm not a hardcore nitro person, but it might be a carb problem.
Well the whole thing was gummed up, id assume the carb was as well, perhaps not as bad as the block.. I wanted to avoid pulling the carb completely apart just because its been so long and I forget all the tuning procedures, but that may be the route.

Originally Posted by jhold87 View Post
sounds like its way lean. May have a air leak also just from the way it sounds on the vid.
I stripped the motor down, the seals were a bit gunked up, but after some solvent and cleaning the seals appeared to be good. I used heavy oil while reassembling prior to the first start which is when it started acting up.

The first time the RPM's took off I thought the tank was empty, sounded just the same as air in the line, but that was not the case

Maybe this just needs a few high speed runs, though will have to wait until this snow clears up a bit. In the mean time I am going to open up the carb and see if there isnt some sort of blockage occurring at idle.

Regarding a lean mix, I had it set very rich to the point that raw fuel was coming out of the exhaust. It sat for so long I didnt want to chance any lean runs..