Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Dynamite .24xp head scratching temp query? >

Dynamite .24xp head scratching temp query?

Dynamite .24xp head scratching temp query?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Default Dynamite .24xp head scratching temp query?

I have a dynamite .24xp in my Tamiya TRF801XT truggy and the motor does OK with moving it. Not as powerful as I thought it should be but does the job. The car starts and idle fines but before I take off if I come to complete stop I have to feather the throttle to clear it. Once it does take it off I get decent size plume of smoke from it. If I lean the bottom out it stalls. If I stay in the throttle it runs just fine. These issues do occur with it at operating temps.

Now my temperature dilema, I am running an OD hot plug. These are standard plug (though they sell a turbo conversion). When I run the piss out of it and check the temp at the glow plug it is around 190-200. If I check the cooling head the emp is 320+. When I check it at the exhaust coming directly out of the motor it is around 250 and the pipe itself post manifold is in the 180-190 range. I have always been told to check at the glow plug but the motor does not pass the spit test. The pinch test is on the low side of the 3-5seconds.

Also the stock carb is broke and I am currently using a spare O'Donnell SS.21 on it which is the same as the Arrow GTR carb and GO .21 carbs.

I know I am not supposed to mess with the mid needle but would any adjustment of it help with the carb clearing issue?

Thanks and sorry for length....
Old 12-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zandrew View Post
I have a dynamite .24xp in my Tamiya TRF801XT truggy and the motor does OK with moving it. Not as powerful as I thought it should be but does the job. The car starts and idle fines but before I take off if I come to complete stop I have to feather the throttle to clear it. Once it does take it off I get decent size plume of smoke from it. If I lean the bottom out it stalls. If I stay in the throttle it runs just fine. These issues do occur with it at operating temps.

Now my temperature dilema, I am running an OD hot plug. These are standard plug (though they sell a turbo conversion). When I run the piss out of it and check the temp at the glow plug it is around 190-200. If I check the cooling head the emp is 320+. When I check it at the exhaust coming directly out of the motor it is around 250 and the pipe itself post manifold is in the 180-190 range. I have always been told to check at the glow plug but the motor does not pass the spit test. The pinch test is on the low side of the 3-5seconds.

Also the stock carb is broke and I am currently using a spare O'Donnell SS.21 on it which is the same as the Arrow GTR carb and GO .21 carbs.

I know I am not supposed to mess with the mid needle but would any adjustment of it help with the carb clearing issue?

Thanks and sorry for length....
http://www.rctech.net/forum/8075559-post1.html
Check the idle gap.
E
Old 12-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

what does it run like at factory settings?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

I actually just got this motor pinched and have run 3/4 quart through it. I am using a different carb and with it at factory settings it ran hot. I leaned the ls in since the car was bogging when I added throttle from a complete stop and after leaning both the hs and ls the motor actually ran cooler by about 15-10 degrees. Then I continued to dial back the HS and the temps went back in the 190 ish range. I am guessing that was from break in. However when I leaned the ls the idle came down and honestly think it i still high.

Weather is not good right now so I can mess with it for a couple more days. When I do I will work on the idle issue and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies...

I have an Alpha .23 on its way so hopefully it will solve my issues LOL.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zandrew View Post
I actually just got this motor pinched and have run 3/4 quart through it. I am using a different carb and with it at factory settings it ran hot. I leaned the ls in since the car was bogging when I added throttle from a complete stop and after leaning both the hs and ls the motor actually ran cooler by about 15-10 degrees. Then I continued to dial back the HS and the temps went back in the 190 ish range. I am guessing that was from break in. However when I leaned the ls the idle came down and honestly think it i still high.

Weather is not good right now so I can mess with it for a couple more days. When I do I will work on the idle issue and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies...

I have an Alpha .23 on its way so hopefully it will solve my issues LOL.

You will love the alpha..great motor, someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think you dont want more than 2 seconds on the pinch test?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hayes371 View Post
You will love the alpha..great motor, someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think you dont want more than 2 seconds on the pinch test?
we are talking about pinching the fuel line? right? I have heard of doing it two ways. Pinching and releasing, and pinching and holding. They both should let you do the same thing though, observe the engine when it is starved for fuel.
it is for checking the lsn settings, to give you a general feel for where your engine is at.