Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Searching for best intro truggy! >

Searching for best intro truggy!

Searching for best intro truggy!

Old 12-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile Searching for best intro truggy!

Looking for a truggy to possibly race in the future but for now just looking to get one and practice with it and go from there, any recommendations on what to start out with? New? Used? Which model?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

i picked up a clean used mbx6t and put in a rebuilt ninja bo1a. So fast and easy to drive. Love it!

then there's also this http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...dard-pkg-49497
but good luck finding parts
Old 12-26-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
Looking for a truggy to possibly race in the future but for now just looking to get one and practice with it and go from there, any recommendations on what to start out with? New? Used? Which model?
If yourjust starting out, my first question would be is how much experience do you have with nitro engines? My next question is have you ever driven a truggy. There are a lot of good platforms out there BUT if it is your first kit do you really want to drop for a rtr model $600 to $800 on a kit that will be a learning experience. I would agree find a GOOD used kit. And find a cheap motor that you can learn to tune on so if you kill it then you will not be out a ton of money. ALSO which every kit you go with check for parts, can your lhs get them? Does the on line store stock them? I KNOW that there are some good rtr platforms out there. I know Losi makes the 8t rtr and you get everything you need. BUT there again I am not totally convienced that a Losi can take the amount of abuse say that of a Assiocated, Hot Bodies, or the Nexx Truggy etc etc. I have seen a lot of Losi trucks in between rounds being torn completely apart because of diffs blowing due to diff housing flex or other issues that has since been addressed by Losi. I KNOW for a fact that the NEXX Truggy is a awesome rtr kit. As I ran the orginal Jammin X2 which this is the same exact truck.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBWUW

You can find parts on ebay all day long and ALSO so of the orginal X1 truggy parts fit as well. And the motor that is in the kit is a very very good motor. I still have my Force 28. that I got with my X1 buggy and it has well over 12 gallons on it and still runs today. Not very stong I have to run it very very lean in order to get it to run but I have more then got my moneys worth out of it.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bobbyc1127 View Post
If yourjust starting out, my first question would be is how much experience do you have with nitro engines? My next question is have you ever driven a truggy. There are a lot of good platforms out there BUT if it is your first kit do you really want to drop for a rtr model $600 to $800 on a kit that will be a learning experience. I would agree find a GOOD used kit. And find a cheap motor that you can learn to tune on so if you kill it then you will not be out a ton of money. ALSO which every kit you go with check for parts, can your lhs get them? Does the on line store stock them? I KNOW that there are some good rtr platforms out there. I know Losi makes the 8t rtr and you get everything you need. BUT there again I am not totally convienced that a Losi can take the amount of abuse say that of a Assiocated, Hot Bodies, or the Nexx Truggy etc etc. I have seen a lot of Losi trucks in between rounds being torn completely apart because of diffs blowing due to diff housing flex or other issues that has since been addressed by Losi. I KNOW for a fact that the NEXX Truggy is a awesome rtr kit. As I ran the orginal Jammin X2 which this is the same exact truck.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBWUW

You can find parts on ebay all day long and ALSO so of the orginal X1 truggy parts fit as well. And the motor that is in the kit is a very very good motor. I still have my Force 28. that I got with my X1 buggy and it has well over 12 gallons on it and still runs today. Not very stong I have to run it very very lean in order to get it to run but I have more then got my moneys worth out of it.
I have a little experience with nitro, I am not the best at tuning but I'm still learning. I have a hyper 7 and losi aftershock that I run from time to time.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Dang 12 gallons! you must be the engine god
Old 12-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Best thing I ever did was to get away from budget priced motors and spend some money on a race motor, like the Ninjas.

The budget motors were always tough to tune and always ran hot, never idled well, famed out, etc. With a good race motor, you get it all. Fuel economy, idle, easier tuning, which equates to less frustration.

I'll still go budget on other parts but I'll never go cheap on an engine again, and by cheap I mean ~$180. Good race motors are in the $300 range... if that is too much for you, pick up a used race engine for around $100 and send it to RW Mods or any other respected engine modder and get it rebuilt.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Also, keep in mind, while the Force .28 might be a good engine, it is a .28. You'll likely need a .21 to be race legal.

A race .21 engine will easily out power a budget .28 engine.

I used to have an ofna buggy 8 rtr witht he force .28. It was pretty fast, but I could barely clear the 25 foot jump my local track... with my much heavier truggy and the ninja .21, I have NO problem clearing it.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Also, keep in mind, while the Force .28 might be a good engine, it is a .28. You'll likely need a .21 to be race legal.

A race .21 engine will easily out power a budget .28 engine.

I used to have an ofna buggy 8 rtr witht he force .28. It was pretty fast, but I could barely clear the 25 foot jump my local track... with my much heavier truggy and the ninja .21, I have NO problem clearing it.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The ultimate competitive and budget friendly truggy rig

Hot bodies D8T with either the dynamite platinum .21 or a werks B5.. Dynamite 053 pipe..Savox 1256 ( steering) 1258 ( throttle) protek LiFe pack and what ever tires work best for you track (ask the fast guys)

That setup is VERY competitive even towards the top tier of racing, the truck is proven and easy to get parts for both motors make plenty of power for truggy racing.... This is and extremely hard rig to beat with out spending 2x as much

And no you don't need all the Tekno stuff to go with it, it's nice but not needed
Old 12-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would say the xray xt9 straight up. prob the strongest truggy on the market means less maintenance and less possible breakages. (depending on driving skills)

all steels are superior hudy spring steel the truck be almost tank like, with great handling as i previously owned an xt8 '09' the xt9 a definate improvement on durability and drivability. with a decent price tag. as compared to buying an 'rtr' truck you may be spending more 'time' and 'money' on fixing if you commit to track racing.

for an engine i would recomend a cheaper engine to learn & pick up the 'art' of tuning and driving / testing with your engine. not to spend big dollars on 'high' end engine to practice on. the 'top' end drivers get a high usage life from their engines because they treat them with respect from break in to tuning and treat like 'gold' someone with 'less' experience may be troubled by a nitro engine until such a time they possess enough skill to treat well with tuning etc using good fuel and correct glow plugs etc.

engine life is deemed by a 'good' tune for most of its life.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The X-ray is an awesome truck but it's an example or what I meant by spend 2x as much to get in to the class....
Old 12-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

A losi 2.0 is good to start with and race with. Mainly because of parts availability. If you are news to truggy you are gonna need parts. And just about every hobby shop gas them. And every on line store has them. And I have one for sale. Pm me if interested.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I do agree that the .28 is not the strongest motor and also a extreme fuel hog. It was the motor I started with. Did I win with it. No I learned nitro ins and outs with it. I chalk up the 12 gallons on that motor due to I did a lot of inspection of it inside and out and the fact I had guys that helped me learn. Also I say I got one of the pick of the litter so to say. LOL,

As far as the X-Ray. Yes good yes even excellent truck BUT yes they are expensive trucks. Even parts. But the do last forever. For myself budget and durability go hand in hand so that is why I am a big Hotbodies supporter, unfortunately right now I think there is a snafu with distribution of the truggy. But I would say if you can find a D8T grab it.

I would also recommend going to a few races and talk to the drivers there and get there input and maybe try there's if they offer. Example Jake maybe able to destroy the competition with a Losi but give him a Mugen to drive and he has issues keeping it between the pipe. Etc etc. so see if you can try different platforms and see which you feel the most comfortable with.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Tamiya has their truggy kits for $100 shipped. I built mine and I love it. I dunno bout racing it but just having fun its a blast. Currently it has AKA City blocks, Dynamite .24XP, Hitec servos, Jammin JP2 pipe, with a flysky GT3B rx and tx and I have well less then $250 in it complete. I have been patient and bought items when they are at crack head prices. It took less then 2 weeks to complete.

I have run the force .28, its a great motor but not the most owerful. I bought the Ofna LX2 and it comes factory with it. I swapped it out to a O'donnell SS .21 and its a blast.

Mattjk Which Ninja are you are referring to? The GRP based .21 or the OS based .21? The GRP is a MR21 B01A and the OS is JX21 B01A and now they have the B02.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

The os based jx21 bo1a

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.