Like Tree52Likes

Xray XB8

Reply

Old 01-10-2019, 05:07 AM
  #3961  
Tech Master
iTrader: (88)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sonora, California
Posts: 1,206
Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default

I’ve been running the associated clutch and have had no problems.
b121774 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:20 AM
  #3962  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
kuruption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 2,136
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Anyone know the length of CVD shaft 355221? I think I have a few sitting in my box, but without any markings on them and without any length figures, I don't know what I may have.

Mine are 102.5 and appear to fit well, so I am guessing they are the right ones. Going to have to pick up some pins to get these built though.

Last edited by kuruption; 01-10-2019 at 07:02 AM.
kuruption is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:12 PM
  #3963  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 13
Default

@dgrobe: Thanks for your report about the first c hub test. I am curious what you will say after a few more tests. For me I will stay with the 2018 Version because I like the PBS a lot and will upgrade to the newer rear arms, front arms and longer shock shafts. One question which you maybe can answer: The new hub for the PBS is a centered version again, what is the difference between this and the one from the XB8 2016? Different compound?
BenPetz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:26 PM
  #3964  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,307
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BenPetz View Post
@dgrobe: Thanks for your report about the first c hub test. I am curious what you will say after a few more tests. For me I will stay with the 2018 Version because I like the PBS a lot and will upgrade to the newer rear arms, front arms and longer shock shafts. One question which you maybe can answer: The new hub for the PBS is a centered version again, what is the difference between this and the one from the XB8 2016? Different compound?
yes.. its still centered.. they made it where the outer bearing is bigger. thats the only difference. the 2019 car comes with the 2016 alum steering block that screws to the hub btw.. 2 dot is now the part. but its the same as the 2016 plate which we were all using.
Anunnaki and BenPetz like this.
dgrobe2112 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:30 PM
  #3965  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,307
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

also.. for this weekends races.. i will be sticking with the PBS until i can get the cosistency with the C-hub.. and have the parts to do my other car as well..
Anunnaki and BenPetz like this.
dgrobe2112 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:56 PM
  #3966  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,307
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

let me know what questions yall have.. i will answer as best i can.. also.. got some idea i am going to work on for the C-hub.. few people have mentioned possibly the chance of the set screw coming loose on the upper arm.. i got a couple ideas a few guys working on.. and i got another idea.
uDi_MP7.5, Anunnaki and BenPetz like this.
dgrobe2112 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:26 PM
  #3967  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
yes.. its still centered.. they made it where the outer bearing is bigger. thats the only difference. the 2019 car comes with the 2016 alum steering block that screws to the hub btw.. 2 dot is now the part. but its the same as the 2016 plate which we were all using.
Thank you! Ahh, yes of course the bigger bearings I have totally forgotten this topic. Interesting info also for the steering block. I will also try to get one for my 2018 buggy.

BenPetz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:39 PM
  #3968  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
let me know what questions yall have.. i will answer as best i can.. also.. got some idea i am going to work on for the C-hub.. few people have mentioned possibly the chance of the set screw coming loose on the upper arm.. i got a couple ideas a few guys working on.. and i got another idea.
Yes, first time as I have seen the set screw for the upper arm in the c hub configuration I thought also this could be a really weak point because a lot of forces can come there at jumping etc. I could imagine xray will bring an option part for this area in the future. What I would do in the meantime: replace the setscrew with a real tiny longer headscrew and use good loctite or too secure it more: use more then one set ring&screw on each side per arm.

Other questions I have: 1. is it worth to upgrade to the longer shock shafts? 2. I have seen almost all pro‘s are running the universal shafts in the center drivetrain of the car but cvds front and rear. I guess the universals are for a more free drivetrain. Is this really noticeable instead of using the cvds in the center drivetrain?

Thx in advance

Ben
BenPetz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 PM
  #3969  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
symmetricon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 4,880
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BenPetz View Post


Yes, first time as I have seen the set screw for the upper arm in the c hub configuration I thought also this could be a really weak point because a lot of forces can come there at jumping etc. I could imagine xray will bring an option part for this area in the future. What I would do in the meantime: replace the setscrew with a real tiny longer headscrew and use good loctite or too secure it more: use more then one set ring&screw on each side per arm.

Other questions I have: 1. is it worth to upgrade to the longer shock shafts? 2. I have seen almost all pro‘s are running the universal shafts in the center drivetrain of the car but cvds front and rear. I guess the universals are for a more free drivetrain. Is this really noticeable instead of using the cvds in the center drivetrain?

Thx in advance

Ben
You could easily grind a flat spot on the upper hinge pin where the set screw attaches to it. I would think that would be secure enough if one doesnt think it is already secure enough.

And yes, the longer shock setup is excellent, a must have imo. And the new shock caps are great as well.
BenPetz likes this.
symmetricon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:26 AM
  #3970  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
speedy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,814
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

French pro driver Cedric Nickel from kyosho to Xray

speedy2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:26 PM
  #3971  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 547
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Hi all! I have a 2016 XB8 and I am wondering if I can replace the chassis with the newer 2018 version, are they compatible? I read that It's a bit longer which should make the car more stable on rutted tracks. If so, are the stock center CVD's compatible> Thanks! Mike
madness is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 AM
  #3972  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,307
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

yes you can. its not very much longer than you should have issues.
dgrobe2112 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 PM
  #3973  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 394
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hooray, the new PB knuckles use dual 8x16 bearings, now making the entire XB8 drivetrain 8x16mm if you use 4x universals (as per stock 2017 XB8).
Everything should retrofit to '16,'17,'18 kits.

I know the 2019 uses CVDs in the rear (thus 13x19 inner bearing), but for anyone who doesn't know, those rear hubs fit both sizes of bearings on the inside so if you switch to universals you can run the 8x16s.
I think this is absolutely excellent given that many other brands are rapidly switching to smaller bearings, particularly tiny ones on the diff pinion (cough MP9, MBX8).

I find 8x16 (larger balls) to have much better longevity than both 13x19 and 8x14 sizes, so you can have a smooth trouble-free drivetrain much longer.
Maybe some prefer the CVs, I have both shaft sets and can't tell a huge difference, but prefer the longer bearing life given the choice.
In fairness, with the 8x16 outside now even the 13x19 with CV setup should last longer than in past.

I prefer the CVs on center because it's very easy to remove them to change worn drive pins, which in my experience happens much faster on the center shafts (much higher linear velocity on center pins).
No need to undo loctited grubscrew or change pinion lash (/ lack thereof), can just pop off boot+circlip to remove shaft.

Great to see a familiar name from the RCCA days dgrobe2112, I wonder what happened to atm92484.
Just getting back into it after a break, appreciate all the contributions.
symmetricon likes this.
uDi_MP7.5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:42 AM
  #3974  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
kuruption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 2,136
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

The pillow ball hubs also support both bearing sizes, if you decide to run CVDs up front.
kuruption is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:16 AM
  #3975  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 58
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

What are the most common wear/ broken items? Gearing up for racing the end of this month I got a new to me 2017 model. I’ve seen A few of local guys breaking spurs.
Soyer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service