Like Tree82Likes

Xray XB8

Old 07-31-2016, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

ok.. so with some testing today.. i was able to get #3 hole to work, and not lock the steering.. i added 1mm bump steer on the wheel.. which made it a total of 3mm.. and the wheels dont lock..

other than that.. i was also able to test out some springs.. the mugen 9.25 in front.. and i ended up with the 10.5 rear mugen springs.. really woke the car up..

i think a few of you guys who may be getting a lil more diff action up front.. might like 7k in the front.. currently i am at 7/5/3 in my diffs as well..

going to try some lighter shock oil think im going to go 650/600.. with the AE piston setup..

but just wanted to give a heads up on the front steering lock that i was able to fix
Old 07-31-2016, 05:26 AM
Tech Regular

I have been running k cars for years and was looking to try something different I currently run an xb2+4 on carpet and turf and was gonna look into the 8 but don't really want a car that has a problem with steering hopefully they will sort out the problem will check back to see if anything has been resolved
Old 07-31-2016, 09:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I just checked my can and in the air there is no binding. I'm running kit bump steer and the 3rd hole back on the Ackerman (hole #2 on the pic last page) Just took a couple races to break in.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:47 AM
Tech Rookie

The steering bind issue is definitely not a matter of breaking the car in.

I have run several races and the steering bind is pretty much the same as when the car was new (I can say that with confidence as i have one car that is raced quite extensively and a brand new one on my shelf).

Also, if it was a matter of breaking the car in, it would be quite misleading to release a tech tip advising that the stock setup can't be used without inducing a mechanical issue as everyone accepts a break in period.

You can of course circumvent the whole issue by lots of creative solutions (which are likely to impact performance one way or another), but the fact remains that the setup that X-ray recommends as the best starting setup simply doesn't work.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:21 AM
Tech Addict

all customers here in rctech should contact xray at [email protected].
to discuss these things here is ok, but it would help more to give feedback direct.
i am not satisfied with my product till now (thereīs obviously an issue with o-rings in the diffs as well).
diffs are leaking very intensely.
hopefully just a bad batch o-rings...
Old 08-01-2016, 07:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gt racing View Post
all customers here in rctech should contact xray at [email protected].
to discuss these things here is ok, but it would help more to give feedback direct.
i am not satisfied with my product till now (thereīs obviously an issue with o-rings in the diffs as well).
diffs are leaking very intensely.
hopefully just a bad batch o-rings...
The problem are not the orings... It is between the metal insert and the diff plastic case molded into it. There are several photos and videos showing this problem, here on RCtech and also on xray's facebook page.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by firecat View Post
I have been running k cars for years and was looking to try something different I currently run an xb2+4 on carpet and turf and was gonna look into the 8 but don't really want a car that has a problem with steering hopefully they will sort out the problem will check back to see if anything has been resolved
We came from the K Cars after running for many years. If you like the XB2 and especially the XB4, then you will love the XB8. We have not had the steering issues that several have been referring to. Not saying that it doesn't exist, but we have not had one single problem.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by patrickgarcia View Post
The problem are not the orings... It is between the metal insert and the diff plastic case molded into it. There are several photos and videos showing this problem, here on RCtech and also on xray's facebook page.
Thank you for this Input, but NO its not the diff case, 100% the orings.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:55 AM
Tech Addict

made the comparison between part no. #971060 from xb8 2014 and xb8 2016.
both new, 2014 is bigger.
there must have changed something, the 2016 o-rings are clearly too small.

i am in contact with xray.
my buddys xb8ī16 same, diffs are empty within a few tanks.

...this is just for your information, i donīt need building advice folks.
xray in their first response told me how to build diffs lol, i told them same, no building advice needed.

itīs simple:
appreciate help/feedback from paying customers and DO RESEARCH!
...to be continued...
Old 08-03-2016, 06:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the update! i have the exact same issue, diffs are empty after a day at the track.

Really annoying with the center diff as the leaked oil makes the brakes totally inconsistent and the bearings super sticky.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bernard B View Post
Thanks for the update! i have the exact same issue, diffs are empty after a day at the track.

Really annoying with the center diff as the leaked oil makes the brakes totally inconsistent and the bearings super sticky.
cool to have issues in mid season, ... NOT.

btw., steering servos wonīt like the steering lock, regardless if there is a servo safer or not. most racer adjusting it pretty strong.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bernard B View Post

@Bernard B, please report this back to [email protected]
this o-rings are definitely a bad batch or something like that.

@all, check o-rings, check leakage at your diffs.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm not gonna say I know why the problem is BUT most of the time when this happens, it is because the diff had too much oil in it when it was built. I watch so many people build them incorrectly. During a run, the diff builds up pressure and when the diff is too full, the pressure causes damage to the case and/or forces oil to leak. When you build the diff, make sure the oil is just barley above the cross pins. Anymore that that and it's too much.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gt racing View Post
@Bernard B, please report this back to [email protected]
this o-rings are definitely a bad batch or something like that.

@all, check o-rings, check leakage at your diffs.
Already did, waiting for a reply from the technical department. Both on the steering lock that took its toll on my new 150 dollar servo and the leaking diffs.

Originally Posted by lewis4x4 View Post
When you build the diff, make sure the oil is just barley above the cross pins. Anymore that that and it's too much.
These diffs leak now matter how little you put in them, unfortunately. i do agree that it takes quite a bit of accuracy to get the diffs right regardless of brand.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've had zero problems with the steering and zero problems with the diffs leaking...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service