R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Xray XB8 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/780088-xray-xb8.html)

tex1 07-08-2014 06:11 AM

Kick up vs. Active Castor

I was adding kick up to make the front suspension more inefficient so it would handle jumps and sharp high speed bumps. In adding the kick up I knew I could lose a little entry steering as I would need a more definitive weight transfer to get the bite I would want.
What I didn't do was change the angle of the upper hinge pins to match the new angle of the lower hinge pins.
I went and drove the car and the entry steering was still the same. I realized that was because I now had active digressive castor. The tires would stand up off power and allow me to push the car into the corner, simply lift the throttle and steer the car in with the front end.
Because of the kick up, the car also landed much better which meant I could push the jumps to a flat landing and not worry.
I started remembering my Mugen days with the 5 and 6 series cars.

I'm going to play with it some more with just the active castor parts.

evolution03 07-08-2014 09:09 PM

There were some guys talking about grinding ribs off in the side guards instead of buying an option part anybody got a pic of the side guards with the ribs grinded off. Also what does this accomplish more flexibility in chassis ?

Vinny Cancilla 07-09-2014 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by evolution03 (Post 13388851)
There were some guys talking about grinding ribs off in the side guards instead of buying an option part anybody got a pic of the side guards with the ribs grinded off. Also what does this accomplish more flexibility in chassis ?

I grinded mine off to convert one to electric. I also ended up grinding my nitro one off to because I didn't like the way my muffler was fitting. I'll try to get a picture up later. Basically, I just cut it as close as you can to make it flush. It's not the prettiest though.

XzedamX 07-09-2014 02:39 PM

Or you could use the XB9E left side gard.

Jerz616 07-09-2014 02:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Here is what mine looks like. I cut them off to convert to elec as well.

Vinny Cancilla 07-09-2014 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by XzedamX (Post 13390304)
Or you could use the XB9E left side gard.

I was told they aren't a perfect fit for the Xb8. Different chassis.

Frank L 07-09-2014 03:45 PM

XB9 XB8 2014 use the same side guard

BentKa 07-09-2014 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vinny Cancilla (Post 13390407)
I was told they aren't a perfect fit for the Xb8. Different chassis.

They fit perfect.

We use them on Malin's XB8E conversion…….and with the stock XB8 '14 body as well ;)

Bent

mcion 07-09-2014 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by shesha (Post 13386049)
I'll try to put this in terms of what I felt switching from 14 to 10 to 6. Stock setup.

On 14, coming from a straight into a 90 degree turn sweeper, off power initially to negotiate the turn since the steering responds immediately, align with the corner in and out line that I visualise and back on the throttle maintaining steering, the car does not give up steering and pulls into the inner apex of the turn if I decide to steer more, near linear feel coming out.

On the 10 initial steering input feels more expo has been dialled in, not too aggresive into the turn, more gradual turn in sort of a linear feel throughout the inner to the outer point.

On the 6 initial steering is near to a 10, but sluggish for my liking on the initial and dials in more on the way out.

This is what I felt with near identical speeds same corner same line of attack.

The 14 just felt inconsistent without putting in some expo atleast 15% on the 10, can get away with 10% even 5% expo, feels very balanced to my driving style.

6 Felt it was more built for infield lines as opposed to long sweepers.

This is my feedback so far on high traction tracks, when it comes to the caster clips, I just feel the onpower and offpower difference as well as how well the car handles bumps as well as car tracking down the straight.

Exactly what I notice and makes sense since 14deg has a shorter steering link vs 6 deg longer steering link. I actually prefer the 6deg since I have big heavy hands. Feels like I dialed out some steering speed to help compensate for the cars aggressive nature

TIX 07-09-2014 06:19 PM

XB9'13 guards will fit the xb8 chassis
The xb9'12 pipe side guard will fit. The tray side will not.

Both the xb9 and xb9'13 guards need the corner shaved off under the ackerman plate to match the xb8 guards

evolution03 07-09-2014 06:47 PM

thanks guys y'all have been real helpful

evolution03 07-09-2014 07:00 PM

what lipo pack are you guys using ? I was thinking of ordering the SMC flat lipo pack

Jerz616 07-09-2014 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by evolution03 (Post 13390805)
what lipo pack are you guys using ? I was thinking of ordering the SMC flat lipo pack

I'm using the trakpower 5600. It's just a tad tall but I shimmed my front body post up 3mm and it's pretty good. I think the reedy packs fit better but I like the trakpower batteries better.

evolution03 07-09-2014 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jerz616 (Post 13390834)
I'm using the trakpower 5600. It's just a tad tall but I shimmed my front body post up 3mm and it's pretty good. I think the reedy packs fit better but I like the trakpower batteries better.

5600 ? isn't that big for a receiver battery ? Are you talking about a e buggy

Jerz616 07-09-2014 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by evolution03 (Post 13390938)
5600 ? isn't that big for a receiver battery ? Are you talking about a e buggy

Sorry, yeah thats for my converted XB8, my nitro one has the trakpower 2400 2s receiver battery.