Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
what do I need for my first race?? >

what do I need for my first race??

what do I need for my first race??

Old 12-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Exclamation what do I need for my first race??

Sup there guys I have been considering a 1/8 nitro buggy for outdoor season!!
My plans where:
Mugen MBX7 nitro kit
Airtronics reciver (For the M12)
What nitro motor should I get ( Reedy,Orion,Novarassi or REDS)???
I need help choosing a throttel and steering servo with good torque and speed savox would be nice but I am open to any brand!!
My true question is when you go racing for the first time outdoor what do I need to bring??? Do I need a Table what tools do you guys recomend???
What glow plug igniter ??? what race fule do you guys use!! I already own a tmaxx 3.3 but I have always wanted to race 1/8 nitro.
Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

If this is your first time owning a nitro buggy. I would highly recommend a O.S. Engine. They are by far the easiest to learn tuning on.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
If this is your first time owning a nitro buggy. I would highly recommend O.S. Engine. They are by far the easiest to learn tuning on.
If I said it in a mistaken way I have been using nitro for 3 years no also have been doing indoor racing!! I know how to tune motors and stuff just want to know what servos to get and what motor to get either novarossi or Reds!!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Go to track and watch a race first. Take a look around the pits to see what you need (table,chair, EZ-up, pit light) make sure you have the right tires! Soooooo many great engines and servos to choose from.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheRcworld101 View Post
If I said it in a mistaken way I have been using nitro for 3 years no also have been doing indoor racing!! I know how to tune motors and stuff just want to know what servos to get and what motor to get either novarossi or Reds!!
Reds motor, and Hitech servos. I like Savox, but some feel they are too power hungry. I personally use 200OZ for throttle/brake and 300 plus for steering. I want to muscle it around, dont want no wimpy servos on an 1/8 scale....
Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Definately spend the extra money on servos... make sure it has plenty of torque otherwise it will not last long at all. I agree with Red's engine and good Hitec servos!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oh and as far as fuel, well, everyone has their own opinions and there are a few good brands out there. Just for starts, I would go with a Byron's blend. Known to be a good running fuel. I would also get the Lipo glow plug igniter....that thing is priceless!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What ever servos you go with, I would sugest going with High Voltage servos and a Lipo receiver pack.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
If this is your first time owning a nitro buggy. I would highly recommend a O.S. Engine. They are by far the easiest to learn tuning on.
i agree with nick on the os engine . the xrb or xzb 21. are very reliable and very powerful. especialy the xzb. your going well beyond the rehlm of tuning a tmaxx. weather and race tuning are much harder to acheive just running around. ive got 3 gallons on an xzb and its still got great compression and still runs flawless. and for around 250. dollars its worth every penny. novas tend to be a bit touchier to tune. also tires,tires and more tires lol. hotshot long igniter. temp gun. and some kind of head heater or cheap heat gun.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TheRcworld101 View Post
Sup there guys I have been considering a 1/8 nitro buggy for outdoor season!!
My plans where:
Mugen MBX7 nitro kit
Airtronics reciver (For the M12)
What nitro motor should I get ( Reedy,Orion,Novarassi or REDS)???
I need help choosing a throttel and steering servo with good torque and speed savox would be nice but I am open to any brand!!
My true question is when you go racing for the first time outdoor what do I need to bring??? Do I need a Table what tools do you guys recomend???
What glow plug igniter ??? what race fule do you guys use!! I already own a tmaxx 3.3 but I have always wanted to race 1/8 nitro.
Thanks for the help guys!!
I would bring a pitman or pit person, as far as engine OS over reedy and orion, dont know anything about reds, novarossi are excellent race engines as well as OS engines. As far as receiver and servos go for something that can handle a lipo battery without the voltage regulator. Fuel? novarossi VP fuel if you are an expert tuner nitrotane, OS use Byron race gen 2 30/11.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Novarossi plus 4.
Hitec 7955tg servos
Protek receiver lipo
Beta tires
Mcdaniels glow plug igniter
Ofna truggy starter box
Byron's race gen 2 fuel
Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Will dang nobody said to bring foodl lol. I would bring food lots of water. some pop. A ez up two 5 foot folding tables. A 200 foot extension cord someone you never know how far back from power you will be. I bring a power adapter also so I can plug in all my stuff. O and some toilet paper never know when the port a putty will be out cause some young kid thinks it funny to put it all in the hole seen it happen at a track once. Big big thing just bring your slow finger. Forget that happy squeezing convert at home learn the track first. Then the happy finger will just kick in. I carry a lot to the track if you think about I try to bring everything I need cause your there for like 12 hours and unless there a fast food place 2 minutes away you can forget about leaving the track for lunch.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Servo you said you like to stay with savox so here is your pick 2270 ,2271,2272,2273,2274,.I use the Same brand in my cars I don't have a problem with them. But I like the 74 and 71 I think of the top of my head I belive that what I have in most of my cars
Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ramjesr View Post
I would bring a pitman or pit person
your day will be much less stressful if you can have a dedicated pit guy/girl. Its not necessary, just makes things easier.

Originally Posted by imrob View Post
Will dang nobody said to bring food lol. I would bring food lots of water.
Im pretty new to racing and ive already learned the hard way that its extremely important to bring food and drink for the day. Get a good nights rest before as well... a full day of racing can be super tiring on the mind if your not prepared and your driving can suffer...

another thing that helps is knowing how races are setup - knowing how to figure out what race/heat your in and knowing how it all works. I think someone mentioned above, just go and watch a race to get a feel for it and figure out how it all works. My first race i was clueless... it was quite an adventure lol.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Be patient... Watch the lines of the fastest guy... Get your own race rithym ... Dont crash ... Many good engines, servos and cars... Ask for setups and tires ... # 1 enjoy it... I will always remember my first race

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.