Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Whats become of the HPI Hellfire? >

Whats become of the HPI Hellfire?

Whats become of the HPI Hellfire?

Old 12-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Whats become of the HPI Hellfire?

Title states it fairly clearly, just curious as it was one of my favorite R/C setups when it came out, Is the Trophy Truggy 4.6 the new version??
And how would that stack up against a Traxxas Jato on a track?

Thanks for answering my really random questions, you guys are great!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Tech Rookie

i just recently bought the 4.6. i also liked the hellfire setup but never bought it... hpi has always been my go to company for rtr's. i previously owned the nitro rush when i was younger. that thing took everything thing i threw at it. had a bad spur gear though.

pull start, batteries
the 4.6 is super fun to drive and bash around with. bashing gets old so I'm gonna set it up to race. but so far the pullstart melted off during first day of actual driving, not break in. the batteries were under charged. i was getting radio glitches because of it. i know i should have changed the batteries but when someone says rtf i expect rtf outa the box. the radio glitches caused the truck to run away and hit a rock which bent the main chassis. all in the first day of driving. hpi customer service suck ass. they never reply to their emails. so don't bother sending any. i called and asked to get replacement parts. they said they would only send me the pull start. it took about 2 weeks to get in the mail. they shipped 4 days after i spoke with them.

axles
pull start has to be taken out and cleaned every time i take it out because it gets dirt in it. first day on the track my setup was all wrong for the track so the truck was taking super wide on power turns. my 3rd time around the track i hit the retainer and the wheel popped off and when i went to look it was the entire axle that snapped. i wasn't even going fast on that turn either.

suspension holder
also snapped a suspension holder. i don't know when though. i found it after 10 tanks when i was giving maintenance.

oh yea their screws strip super easy. so far 3 stripped screws.

so my suggestions if you purchase this car is:
- expect horrible customer service
- upgrade to hex adapters
- upgrade suspension holders (if your bashing)
- upgrade pullstart to roto or box
- change out tires.

other than that great truggy. wish it had threaded suspension so I'm not clipping those damn spacers on all the time. thats a pain.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

The Trophy Truggy is a rebrand of the old Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium truggy - so much better than the Hellfire (or anything else from HPI), which as I recall was known for being a bit of a flop...

A Jato is not meant for an offroad track.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
The Trophy Truggy is a rebrand of the old Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium truggy - so much better than the Hellfire (or anything else from HPI), which as I recall was known for being a bit of a flop...

A Jato is not meant for an offroad track.
Lightning truggy was a pile the Hellfire was better. I got one for my brother had nothing but issue's flexed too much, breaking C hubs or carrier, bending suspension holders and etc. And yes we dumped a ton of aftermarket crap in it and still broke every weekend. Wish I never seen one after going off others that said it was bulletproof from truggyracers.com which gone now. Gave him my Hellfire SS kit that I cheap then he started running great without breaking parts every weekend. Ran Hellfire for 3yrs brother and I ran so well we surprised many that couldn't believe it was HPI Hellfire. Hellfire had a lot adjustability that at the time others kits didn't have. Only main issue it was too stiff didn't have much flex so suspension setup had to be spot on which is impossible since track changes through out the day.

I still have my Hellfire haven't ran it because everyone went to buggy that's what we both have been racing.

Last edited by pdmustgt; 12-16-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Okay, Thanks! i've seen a jato on a track before and it was a bit twitchy, other than that it was a little missile. Figured it was the driver who had literally no experience
Old 12-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I caught 1/2 a story the other day at the hobby store, they were talking about HPI being bought out by someone but I don't recall who. the deal was done in the last few weeks.
might be a good thing might be a bad thing.

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 12-16-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

HPI wasn't bought out. They made a deal with great planes/tower hobbies to be exclusive distributor.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Huh, good to know, Thanks!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
HPI wasn't bought out. They made a deal with great planes/tower hobbies to be exclusive distributor.
100% correct sir...

The Jato is not meant for racing way to light and to soft. The Hellfire was a excellent platform. I would like to see HPI bring it back. But we shall see as to what they decide. With a new year coming we will see.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bobbyc1127 View Post
100% correct sir...

The Jato is not meant for racing way to light and to soft. The Hellfire was a excellent platform. I would like to see HPI bring it back. But we shall see as to what they decide. With a new year coming we will see.
When did it get discontinued?
I would love to see it to, my favorite nitro rig as a kid!

Okay, wasn't sure what the Jato was even meant for, too high for street (my neighbor rolled his all the time before he moved) and too low for bashing, though it did great on the loose dirt jumps we had made
Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I couldn't get rid of my trophy truggy fast enough, good truck but HPI let me down in the parts department. Their support used to be so good.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had both. The Hellfire and Lightening. Being new to 8th at the time, I bought the Hellfire over the Losi 8T. Huge mistake.

If you talking track, they both suck. I rather buy a Kyosho Inferno NEO ST.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

The LGT is a MUCH older design than the Neo. Still far better than the HF..
Old 12-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Good to know, i did really like the HF, maybe a Kyosho neo RTR some day? how are the RTR's? for $600 or near that i'd expect pretty damn good, but then again the kit is pushing 1 grand
Old 12-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

I made mine race great and got better after cutting top plate separating front, radio, rear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service