Foam Inserts

Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Foam Inserts

Just received a set of Pro-Line Badlands 3.8 for my 8T 2.0 and some VTR 4.0 rims to mount them on. I'm liking the tires and rims but what is up with these huge inserts? I can stuff them in there but they are all wrinkled and the bead is pushed way out. Then, when I try to put the rim into place, every thing goes real bad. I know that I'm stretching the tire and insert slightly but Pro-Line's sight says it will work. I'm used to the nice closed cell inserts that come with their race tires and that is what I was expecting with the Badlands as their dimensions do not differ much at all from their race versions. Any suggestions? Should I just order a set of closed cell inserts and be done or wait for Pro-Line to contact me back to see if they can help?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

open cells are like that… you can trim/bevel the edges to get a better fit in the tire though.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

Do you think their closed cell inserts would work with these tires? I hate to spend half of the cost on a set of inserts vs a complete set of tires that comes with the same inserts.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rydaddy View Post
Do you think their closed cell inserts would work with these tires? I hate to spend half of the cost on a set of inserts vs a complete set of tires that comes with the same inserts.
i wouldn't, you want the badlands to be able to conform to the terrain, and the closed cell inserts don't really let that happen. For racing, they are great, but that is with tires with much smaller tread patterns. Just trim them with a ubber sharp hobby blade and they should be fine. You still want them to be "stuffed" in the tires, just beveled to they it a bit better.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you ThePanda.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

How much wider should I leave the insert in relation to the tire/rim?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

How much wider should I leave the insert in relation to the tire/rim?
I would leave it as wide as it comes, just take some off the edges. If you feels they are just to wide, cut just a little bit off, as the foams will tend to compress up after being in the wheel for a while. If they are to firm, cut of punch small holes through the top, all the way through the foam(as if you were putting vent holes into tires)
Old 12-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Really not liking the results I am getting so far trimming the inserts. Besides being too firm, would the VTR inserts fit properly with this rim and tire combo?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Really not liking the results I am getting so far trimming the inserts. Besides being too firm, would the VTR inserts fit properly with this rim and tire combo?
I think so, they are meant for use with the 4.0 inch truggy wheels though, so you would need a set of those (other wise the foam would get bunched up). You would also need to stretch the tires over the truggy wheels as the tires are 3.8. unless you are already running on 4.0 wheels.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

You have 3.8 tires with 4.0 wheels. Buy a set of closed cell foams. I have done this a lot when I ran losi 3.8 digits on vtr 4.0 proline wheels. Although I cut the tire before I mounted them.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ive personally tested a few sets of foams in the 3.8's and you want the stock Foams, Yes they are a Pain in the rear to mount, But once fully seated and glued the sidewalls come into shape.

Closed cells are far to "racey" for the badland carcass and result in an overly squishy sidewall, essentially due to there being no foam there.