Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
It seems  the electric car would certainly become the time main stream .. >

It seems the electric car would certainly become the time main stream ..

It seems the electric car would certainly become the time main stream ..

Old 12-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Default It seems the electric car would certainly become the time main stream ..

With the rapid development of the electric technology ,especially the brushless technology,electric car now has chanllenged the nitro car in many aspects
,You just cant deny the fact that the electric car now became more and more popular in recent years. And that is my anxiety, as a nitro fan , I get worried about that one day the nitro car would completely be replaced by the electric cars. Will that happen?
Old 12-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

They still need to get runtime up to 1 hour without a battery change. A 30 - 60 minute race is a lot different than a 10 minute race.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Nitro off-road will never die, there's a lot of people who like the sound and smell of nitro, plus engine tuning is another addiction to some. Go to a local club race, there's something about nitro racing, that's more exciting than electric.

The only way nitro will die is if our CRAZY government or UN mandates a law banning the sale of nitro fuel and engines, because it hurting the environment, and the way things are headed I bet they will in the next 20yrs. Remember they know what's best for all of us and the world. All they have to do is say nitro vapors cause cancer and 100 other health problems, and it's polluting our air quality, and BAM nitros dead!

Last edited by kylehirano; 12-01-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

electric has its place and following. there's still many, MANY of us that prefer the sound of a screaming 2 stroke over the sound of a hair dryer!!! also, if you ever look at lap times (on an actual 1/8 offroad track, NOT a 1/10 track with some big air) the e-class is actually slower than nitro....

VIVA LA NITRO!!! BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP BRAAAAAP!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Unfortunately it's true, I now this isn't RC but It's happening already. I am a 1:1 2 stroke user and they themselves are beginning to fall off the map with 4 stroke taking over. Many states have banned 2 stroke jetskis and dirtbikes. The EPA's "clean air act" states that two strokes sold today are only allowed to be sold for competition use. 2 Stroke is simple, cheap and effective and with properly tuned fuel injection 2 strokes can actually burn more efficiently/cleaner than a 4 stroke. I think it's just a fact of age old technology that people in this day and age feel they can replace with something better. I say "just keep it simple stupid"
Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

I'm more willing to say that a lipo battery gojng up in flames is far worse for the environment! Have you guys seen one of these thing burn??
Old 12-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Very dangerous, when they catch fire, also it cost money to dispose of a lipo battery, and how many people here properly dispose them? I'm guessing a lot end up in the garbage at the local landfill, causing environmental hazards worse than nitro.

Wow I'm starting to sound like a enviromentalist liberal hack! Sorry guys unless you are one, in which case you can blow me.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Tech Initiate

in 20 years I'm pretty sure we won't race the nitros we're enjoying now. (by the way I'm not racing the diesel ether engine my father was painfully starting from time to time...).

i'm not afraid of change. Lipos & BL are a great improvement versus the NiCd & brushed we used to race 20 years ago. Other improvements will probably come up with 1:1 scale looking into it, starting with racing : ever looked at the formula-e ?

Today i love nitro. Yet i race it because I have friends to race against. I'm no follower, but I need people on the grid: if I'm the only nitro engaged, I switch to electric (assuming I've got friends to race against in that category)
Old 12-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phred2069 View Post
in 20 years I'm pretty sure we won't race the nitros we're enjoying now. (by the way I'm not racing the diesel ether engine my father was painfully starting from time to time...).

i'm not afraid of change. Lipos & BL are a great improvement versus the NiCd & brushed we used to race 20 years ago. Other improvements will probably come up with 1:1 scale looking into it, starting with racing : ever looked at the formula-e ?

Today i love nitro. Yet i race it because I have friends to race against. I'm no follower, but I need people on the grid: if I'm the only nitro engaged, I switch to electric (assuming I've got friends to race against in that category)
That formula-e looks pretty sweet, I am not saying that electric or future replacements for our crude engines is a bad thing. I simply don't like the fact that they want to put laws against them that make us not be able to use them in recreational sports like trail riding. I would take a 2 stroke jetski, quad or dirtbike any day over a 4 stroke for the shear fact that they can produce same power, simple to work on and cheap to rebuild.

When it comes to nitro vs electric, well I love nitro but I hate the headache and expense that comes with it. I have converted to electric and plan to stay that way. The only nitro rig I have left is my FLM T-Maxx and it is now a box queen.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Tech Champion

Electric sucks.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Electric is boring. Nitro is here to stay.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Originally Posted by matrixxx View Post
With the rapid development of the electric technology ,especially the brushless technology,electric car now has chanllenged the nitro car in many aspects
,You just cant deny the fact that the electric car now became more and more popular in recent years. And that is my anxiety, as a nitro fan , I get worried about that one day the nitro car would completely be replaced by the electric cars. Will that happen?
Some validity to your statement. The only problem is run times are too short. Nothing comes close to a nitro main!
Old 12-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kylehirano View Post
Very dangerous, when they catch fire, also it cost money to dispose of a lipo battery, and how many people here properly dispose them? I'm guessing a lot end up in the garbage at the local landfill, causing environmental hazards worse than nitro.

Wow I'm starting to sound like a enviromentalist liberal hack! Sorry guys unless you are one, in which case you can blow me.
That couldn't be more wrong. Once completely discharged, a Lipo is completely environmentally friendly. So safe, you can bury them in your backyard.

However the catch is that the mines to get lithium in the first place is extremely environmentally damaging.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well, I think that brushless motors and lipo batteries were the most recent big milestones in e-development. Another big milestone I would safely speculate is not in the near future.

I really think nitro is here to stay as long as there are rc cars (and airplanes, boats, helicopters, etc). I don't think environmentalism is a concern to be honest.

First of all, from what I understand, nitro fuel is not a fossil fuel. It consists mainly of methanol, which is pretty much made in a lab (okay, well probably a production plant).

Second of all, a concerned organization would have to conduct a study to assess the effects of exhaust gas generated from rc cars on the environment. I don't see this happening, ever.

The most likely only real threat is the sound, which just requires track owners not locating the track right next to people trying to enjoy their peace and quiet. On the plus side, these little 2-stroke engines make a significant noise within close proximity up close, but it quickly dissipates with distance.

Too many racers that I've witnessed enjoy the thrill of the nitro sound. I'm right in that boat. My local track is currently seeing a significant resurgence in the nitro classes, both buggy and truggy. It's great

Personally, I race e-cars when I can just to get more trigger time in.

Originally Posted by Afun View Post
Nothing comes close to a nitro main!
Always the highlight at our local track!

I am interested to hear anyone else's thoughts / knowledge.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by matrixxx View Post
electric can replace nitro and it will be because of the laziness of an rc racer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.