Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
It seems  the electric car would certainly become the time main stream .. >

It seems the electric car would certainly become the time main stream ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It seems the electric car would certainly become the time main stream ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

yes just as it will be in life size cars.

there are already things like the electri clutch so to have the same feel as a nitro vehicle in the form of an e car.

able to have brake bias by hooking up a braking servo.

basically going to be quite powered cars with similar feeling tho more torque then nitro vehicles.

i see it as being more peaceful. and may welcome more ppl to the sport.

a more relaxed 'fun' hobby then that of a demanding high maintenance competative hobby/sport.

can see ppl way into the future begin to bring out effective nitro sound effecting devices to immitate how motor vehicles used to be of days of old a way into the future..................... much like installing a piece of plastic on contact bike wheel spokes to bring about the sound effect of a motor vehicle.

there will one day be a generation not even know what a petrol/nitro motor is unless researched and studied much like a history lesson.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Tech Champion

I see the opposite. Fewer people will participate in racing, because it's so much less interesting and exhilerating than nitro. It takes about ten seconds at a race day to see and feel the difference. Nitro main, followed by an electric main.

RC racing afaic is fun because it's like racing real suped-up offroaders, but vicariously through smaller (and more affordable) models.. What's the appeal of electric racing? Changing shock oil? It's utterly uninteresting. If electric ever does "take over", then RC racing will be an even smaller niche activity than it already is.., just nerdier.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yeah i see your point

very good one. being nitro is a motor sport.

hard to predict trends in advance.

ive had quite a few nitro races and love it for what it is.

tho dont like a great lot of maintenance so bit torn.

tho nothing like racing a finely tuned nitro.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Yes its because the laziness of rc racers right.
In the 8th scale world that is what it equates too

not lookin for an argument , its pretty much fact that the guys who cant figure out nitro but dig running 8th scale cars resort to electric because it much more simple , plug n play if you will

nitro 8th scale is not as easy but if you comprehend what the engine needs its simple as 1 + 1
Old 12-02-2013, 01:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I see the opposite. Fewer people will participate in racing, because it's so much less interesting and exhilerating than nitro. It takes about ten seconds at a race day to see and feel the difference. Nitro main, followed by an electric main.

RC racing afaic is fun because it's like racing real suped-up offroaders, but vicariously through smaller (and more affordable) models.. What's the appeal of electric racing? Changing shock oil? It's utterly uninteresting. If electric ever does "take over", then RC racing will be an even smaller niche activity than it already is.., just nerdier.

I don't see it that way . Electric these days if anything bring in more new guys to racing in the longrun. If it ever did take over I don't see r/c racing getting smaller . There is more E Buggys every weekend at the tracks I been to than nitro Buggys it out numbers it . Sure there still is enough nitro Buggys to make a class . But the competition is in the E buggy classes .
Old 12-02-2013, 01:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by houston

not lookin for an argument , its pretty much fact that the guys who cant figure out nitro but dig running 8th scale cars resort to electric because it much more simple , plug n play if you will

nitro 8th scale is not as easy but if you comprehend what the engine needs its simple as 1 + 1

I'm not ethier but in 1/8 scale guys switching to electric like I did does not mean we are lazy it's a time factor also . Nitro takes up more time to tune etc than electric . And others prefer not to mess around with clutch tuning/cleaning and cleaning a nitro and looking for a pitman a good one at that .

I actually got more suspension tuning time and track time switching to electric a while ago .

ELectric is not as simple as just plug and play you do still need to tune the ESC on a computer and watch your gearing etc .

I know your nitro bias so you sticking to what you know which is fine .
Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston

Also with Nitro when you get it all right on a race meet its very satisfying as there's alot of variables to easily get it wrong.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
I'm not ethier but in 1/8 scale guys switching to electric like I did does not mean we are lazy it's a time factor also . Nitro takes up more time to tune etc than electric . And others prefer not to mess around with clutch tuning/cleaning and cleaning a nitro and looking for a pitman a good one at that .

I actually got more suspension tuning time and track time switching to electric a while ago .

ELectric is not as simple as just plug and play you do still need to tune the ESC on a computer and watch your gearing etc .

I know your nitro bias so you sticking to what you know which is fine .
Honestly, this post does show some of the faults with nitro guys (and elec guys to an extent). Too many people spend too much time dickering with their cars and engines. I can't wrap my head around why people decide to go with finicky engines that constantly need tuned, clutches that last for crap, cars that need constant tuning to have something drivable, all the while trying to squeak every last 10 seconds out of the tune (only to pit at 7:30 anyhow ).

For whatever reason, racers seem to be more and more prone to treat club races as if they were IFMAR worlds races. Put your car on the track and have a go. Its club racing... Buy engines and cars that actually work everywhere and forget the rest of the maintenance that "every" car requires between every round of qualifying. Hell, I've quad-stacked club races on my cars with nothing more than 1-2 min to box tune the engine (and then not touch it for the rest of the night). No bother with any of that other crap, same CB bearings, same clutch settings, same dirt, etc.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Imbue
Honestly, this post does show some of the faults with nitro guys (and elec guys to an extent). Too many people spend too much time dickering with their cars and engines. I can't wrap my head around why people decide to go with finicky engines that constantly need tuned, clutches that last for crap, cars that need constant tuning to have something drivable, all the while trying to squeak every last 10 seconds out of the tune (only to pit at 7:30 anyhow ).

For whatever reason, racers seem to be more and more prone to treat club races as if they were IFMAR worlds races. Put your car on the track and have a go. Its club racing... Buy engines and cars that actually work everywhere and forget the rest of the maintenance that "every" car requires between every round of qualifying. Hell, I've quad-stacked club races on my cars with nothing more than 1-2 min to box tune the engine (and then not touch it for the rest of the night). No bother with any of that other crap, same CB bearings, same clutch settings, same dirt, etc.

We'll actually I'm the kind of racer who likes to tinker on my trucks during a club race but it's not just for the hell of it though it's to get it where I want it to drive the way i like to handle and drive . But I usually do drive the truck for a heat and see first .

But yea I've seen plently of guys running nitro that though the whole day are tuning there engines and doing whatever .
Old 12-02-2013, 02:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BradS
They still need to get runtime up to 1 hour without a battery change. A 30 - 60 minute race is a lot different than a 10 minute race.
haha,you are right , e_car still have many aspects to improve.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:57 AM
Tech Regular

i think its not comparable.
its like two different drugs that works for pleasure. both are great and addicting.
yes nitro one have a long run, great sounds (this uncomparable), power etc.
electric does different, it have a short runtime, less maintenance, cheaper (no fuel), and simple. but its fun anyway.
i think electric has a great increasing number of fans since it simpler than nitro. IMO
Old 12-02-2013, 03:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Imbue

Amen!!! So much unnecessary fiddling in racing....
Old 12-02-2013, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 145 (99%+)

I enjoy both own both for years. Batteries have came a long ways in a short time. I like Ebuggies because you dont have to find or have someone to pit for you. You can put it down walk up the drivers stand and go. No need to worry about if guy that is helping can line up the buggy on the stater box correctly, or is fast doing pit stop, hell I seen one guy ask for one hour on the highend and the guy put a full 24 hours in...

But again if you have someone you knows what he or she is doing then, I like nitro. I actually pitting for my son, nothing like 15 nitro burning engine rev'ving up, eyes burning and cant see anything because your eye are watering... And the smell...

So they both have there place. Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Nitro does bring excitement to the track for spectators. But as an electric guy I cant stand pitting next to one. The noise, smell, and blue smoke kills an otherwise nice day. Not to mention the guys that floor it evertine they flip, and its so loud during a race all the drivers do is yell at there pit crew. I have seen more nitro guys throw their car than electric. I think the noise and yelling just escalates the grumpiness. Also i would like to run longer than a 10 minute main, but not much. 20 min max. You cant tell me nitro is cheaper thnn electric when you go through atleast one set of tires just for the main. 45 minutes is hard on everything including the turnmarshals. Who are usually electric guys.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Competition will ALWAYS be the driving factor...not the smell or sound or whatever lame reason one thinks out for preferring nitro. if you are truly a racer you will go where the level of competition is highest...no matter how long the main is.

and what-fricken-ever!!!! 10 minute races aren't exciting?????

have you seen Neo 13 dash for cash race????? I dare anyone to say that was not crazy awesome.
That was the epitome of the whole weekend...the main was lame in comparison TBO, so being able to go for 60min with refuels has nothing to do with it imo. If it is the pit strategy you crave im sure someone can work on quick release battery packs for electric pit stops..it is not unthinkable.

i race nitro. Next year i am taking a "sabbatical" to focus on being smoother on the throttle and like someone else stated already, focus more on suspension geometry tuning etc. it will also be a way for me to curb some of my obscene nitro spending but still get to race...since racing opponents is what it is all about for me. Most of us race to be better than someone else at it aren't we?....

Last edited by Sideshow Bob; 12-02-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.