Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New member Intro >

New member Intro

New member Intro

Old 11-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New member Intro

Howyouuudoin!? just thought i'd introduce myself an say "hi"
longtime fan..brandnew owner.. just bought my boy and I our first hobby grade short course trucks for his birthday today, two nitro 2wd traxxas slash's
now, I know elec's have blown up and are all the rage today buuut,
these obnoxious lil noise makers were just what WE were wanting and probably won't be the only ones WE will end up with, but for now they'll do.....

I'm certainly hoping to glean as much info an tech from reading that I can but would like to know your thoughts/tips on everything that would apply in getting to know/learning about these trucks, thanks in advance.....and
Old 11-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Good luck, I bought my first Nitro and now have 12 more all within the last 6 months.

2wd is awesome to learn from since it teaches much better car control then 4wd and will greatly help in honing skills.

One of my favorite vehicles is the RC10GT which is 2wd truck style vehicle as well. Cheap to find as well as parts.

Moved on to 1/8 buggy which is a blast but bang for the buck I don't think they compete with the old RC10 and similar style vehicles. (Slash is short course and RC10 is stadium truck).

After run oil is a must!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

gidday. lot's of useful information on this site.

Originally Posted by J/Slash View Post
I know elec's have blown up and are all the rage today buuut
i know what you mean. there's nothing like the smell of nitro in the morning.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Hello and welcome
Old 11-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation

Thanks for the welcome
Old 11-30-2013, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yes!! More nitro lovers! Welcome.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Sooo... can anyone give a good guess of what i can expect,
for longevity?

I've watched enough YT vids to make my eye's bleed Re: break-in and tuning,
i'm wondering what has been your experience and what methods have worked best for you?

I've got a pretty good idea of how to start/prepare our rigs, thinking of following these first steps

1.priming/preloading combustion chamber with a few drops of fuel I plan on using for break-in (or should i use after run oil as suggested by tuber vid?)

2. using a heat gun on a stationary first run with it running fat @ idle to obtain/hold temps in the 180-230 deg. range with the first tankfull measuring periodically with IR gun followed by a complete cool down to ambient temps

I know that lubrication and temperatures are critical for for the seating of valves, pistons, rings etc. am I on the right track here?
Old 11-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Howyouuudoin!? just thought i'd introduce myself an say "hi"
longtime fan..brandnew owner.. just bought my boy and I our first hobby grade short course trucks for his birthday today, two nitro 2wd traxxas slash's
now, I know elec's have blown up and are all the rage today buuut,
these obnoxious lil noise makers were just what WE were wanting and probably won't be the only ones WE will end up with, but for now they'll do.....

I'm certainly hoping to glean as much info an tech from reading that I can but would like to know your thoughts/tips on everything that would apply in getting to know/learning about these trucks, thanks in advance.....and
First welcome! And congrats on the vehicles. Any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sooo... can anyone give a good guess of what i can expect,
for longevity?

I've watched enough YT vids to make my eye's bleed Re: break-in and tuning,
i'm wondering what has been your experience and what methods have worked best for you?

I've got a pretty good idea of how to start/prepare our rigs, thinking of following these first steps

1.priming/preloading combustion chamber with a few drops of fuel I plan on using for break-in (or should i use after run oil as suggested by tuber vid?)

2. using a heat gun on a stationary first run with it running fat @ idle to obtain/hold temps in the 180-230 deg. range with the first tankfull measuring periodically with IR gun followed by a complete cool down to ambient temps

I know that lubrication and temperatures are critical for for the seating of valves, pistons, rings etc. am I on the right track here?
Somewhat. Nitro engines don't actually have any rings, so breaking it in is a little different than a typical two stroker.

Priming a nitro is easy. With a pull start, just hold a finger over the exhaust and yank a few times until you see fuel reach the chamber. No need to pull off the glow plug, if that's what you're asking.

The first tank, IMO, there's no need to check with a temp gun. It's just idling. But yes, after the tank you'll want to pull the engine to bottom dead center and let it cool down.

Welcome to the place!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Tech Rookie

these trucks have a battery pack/elec starting system,
No pull start..

the piston and piston sleeve still need to seat like piston/rings/cylinder would, correct?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

for engine break in read this
http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...eak-bible.html
for engine tuning read this
http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...ing-bible.html

but don't hesitate to ask questions
Old 12-01-2013, 04:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

the piston and piston sleeve still need to seat like piston/rings/cylinder would, correct?
correct
Old 12-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Pull start, electric start, same deal. You'd turn the engine over with your finger over the ex house to prime it. It should only take a second.