Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
there is a question puzzling me long........ >

there is a question puzzling me long........

there is a question puzzling me long........

Old 11-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default there is a question puzzling me long........

Sorry for my poor English.
I have here a question about the top grade buggies,which puzzle me for a long time.my question is :among the top buggies ,such as mp9\8ight3.0\AERC8.2\hb D812\dnx408 and so on, when they are all equiped with the same engine and servo and radio system , is there a car handled obviously better than the others? if not ,whether it means that the performance differerence among the top ones can be ignored?
So,if I want to buy one of them,it is not necessary to consider the performence, but just sonsider
personal preference just depending on appearance or design or materials.

Last edited by matrixxx; 11-29-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: modify it to be better
Old 11-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The bottomline is no... Ultimately with proper setups on each car, lap times should be relatively close. A lot of people assume that everyone wants an overly stable, overpriced pushy piece of crap, but that's not the case.

There are different 'characteristics' to each buggy, some turn better, some respond to adjustments better.

My answer has always been to pick the chassis YOU like. Unless you're getting your airline tickets from your chassis sponsor, there's more room in driver talent from one to another, than the performance gap from one particular chassis to the next.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

different chassis have different handling characteristics. go to your local track and see if you can try a few before deciding.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Price is also something to consider, spending 700 on a kit will not make you a better driver.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for replying. Your opinion really helps me
Old 11-30-2013, 12:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you for replying , that is very help

Originally Posted by Shawn_S View Post
The bottomline is no... Ultimately with proper setups on each car, lap times should be relatively close. A lot of people assume that everyone wants an overly stable, overpriced pushy piece of crap, but that's not the case.

There are different 'characteristics' to each buggy, some turn better, some respond to adjustments better.

My answer has always been to pick the chassis YOU like. Unless you're getting your airline tickets from your chassis sponsor, there's more room in driver talent from one to another, than the performance gap from one particular chassis to the next.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
Price is also something to consider, spending 700 on a kit will not make you a better driver.
Thanks for replying
Old 11-30-2013, 02:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by matrixxx View Post
among the top buggies ,such as mp9\8ight3.0\AERC8.2\hb D812\dnx408 and so on, when they are all equiped with the same engine and servo and radio system , is there a car handled obviously better than the others?
Yes. Some people will deny, deny deny.. differences are subtle..
But to me.. clearly MP9 and D812 handle better than certain other cars.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

matrix I can understand what your saying, most all 1/8 buggies are the basic same design, front,center and rear diff. with little tweaks here and there. I'm surprised, because this design has been around for over 20yrs, and hasn't changed much. I would of thought by now a company would come out with a radical new design, but Not the case. I still see guys with there brand new rc8s and losis get beat by a old mbx5.

I agree, that every buggy handles different, you just have to figure out your driving style.

Any high end kit is capable of winning, Just look at Hara , who has won with a mugen, kyosho and JQ all in the last month so driving has a lot to do with it.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

To me it is also very important to see what is running well and is popular at your local track and this should be taken into account when deciding. It would be daft to have something that is difficult to get local support and track side spares! If you run one of the more popular chassis makes present at the tracks you'll be racing on you will be more likely able to find drivers willing to help out on setups etc.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
Yes. Some people will deny, deny deny.. differences are subtle..
But to me.. clearly MP9 and D812 handle better than certain other cars.
Thank you ....
Old 11-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kylehirano View Post
matrix I can understand what your saying, most all 1/8 buggies are the basic same design, front,center and rear diff. with little tweaks here and there. I'm surprised, because this design has been around for over 20yrs, and hasn't changed much. I would of thought by now a company would come out with a radical new design, but Not the case. I still see guys with there brand new rc8s and losis get beat by a old mbx5.

I agree, that every buggy handles different, you just have to figure out your driving style.

Any high end kit is capable of winning, Just look at Hara , who has won with a mugen, kyosho and JQ all in the last month so driving has a lot to do with it.
I agree what you have replied, now I think the performence on the track depending more on the drivers handling style .
Old 12-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

imo, as long as the 95% of us are running major brand rollers, it doesnt matter. most are set up from factory so well that it takes huge mistakes (by us) in setups to really screw them up. "good" setups vary from driver to driver depending on your driving style... that in mind, imho, small changes in setup (or manufacturer) can only usually be noticed and used to their advantage by a very small percentage of drivers.

Ive always believed that the drivers skill has to account for 60-70% of the cars ability, in most cases. others being engine tune, tires, and setup.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 145 (99%+)

I agree. But if you take away the fact that all buggies are layout the same way, you still have the facts that the quality of the parts are NOT all the same from one brand to another.

Example plastic parts:

X brands plastic parts may be alot softer and easier to break then Y brand.

But I agree that 60% of any car is the driver... if you cant drive a million dollar buggy will not help you...
Old 12-03-2013, 02:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kylehirano View Post

When was the last time you seen an expert get beat by an old mbx5?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.