Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Clutch problems >

Clutch problems

Clutch problems

Old 11-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Angry Clutch problems

Hi there,
Iv got a acme conquistador truck and have just put on new clutch shoes and bell housing. The problem now is that the bell housing will not spin freely it is tight all the time. When i roll the truck on the floor it locks up the wheels quickly.
Any ideas of what can cause this?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Sounds like when you installed the new clutch, you didnt shim it correctly. with the motor out, does the clutch bell spin freely? I bet it doesnt. Pull the clutch bolt off and see if it spins then. if it does, you need to put a shim between the head and crank to move it back and give it a little play. If it doesnt spin with the bolt off, you have a an issue internaly to the shoes/bell. pull it apart and find it.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Jerm13
Thanks, i pulled it apart and the clutch shoes seemed slightly to big for the bell. Iv changed them now and its moving freely.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Make sure the shimming is good to clear the bell from the flywheel too.

Certain clutch shoes don't suit certain clutch bells, be it aluminum or carbon, it's good to compare your old ones with the new ones you want to get, it's the curvature and size of it to your clutch bell.

I tried some new aluminum clutch shoes, and they don't 'grab' the clutch bell well and keeps slipping. The design matters.