Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Nitro Truggy vs Monster truck >

Nitro Truggy vs Monster truck

Nitro Truggy vs Monster truck

Old 11-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro Truggy vs Monster truck

I was wanting to get a new RC but i'm stuck between a Losi 8ight T or an AE MGT 8.0. I will mostly bash. My main questions are which one handles better, has higher top speed, is more durable, better quality, and more fun?
Old 11-28-2013, 03:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sc308 View Post
I was wanting to get a new RC but i'm stuck between a Losi 8ight T or an AE MGT 8.0. I will mostly bash. My main questions are which one handles better, has higher top speed, is more durable, better quality, and more fun?
The truggy smokes the MT in prettymuch everything but final top Speed............ truggy handles better, much better..truggy is more durable....truggy accelerates better, jumps better.....overall Truggy is a better performing machine...the MT is nice, but built more for show then go !
Old 11-28-2013, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

8T will handle better, jump better, is stronger, endless tuning ajustments, and has parts available everywhere.

As far as top speed, I'm not sure, I believe the mgt is a two speed tranny much like a traxxass,In which case speed would be about the same.

8T all the way, but if you must have a monster truck get a traxxas revo or tmaxx, stay away from the MGT. There's a reason traxxas has sold more monster trucks than any other company. The Traxxas Tmaxx revolutionized rc trucks and brought it's popularity to new heights. Truggys came after the monster truck craze, because people wanted something more race/track oriented with endless tuning options.

Plus ive never been blown away with a AE kit as far as quality. Awesome race race team, subpar products
Old 11-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Find a muggy .... Best of both worlds
Old 11-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Truggies are better for racing or running on a track. But I kind of prefer a bumbly MT for just all-around fun.. To me a truggy is boring as h.ell in a parking lot, a field, etc.. Maybe if you have an awesome bash spot like a BMX track or something.. I'd even rather have a buggy than a truggy for all-around bashing.. That's because IMO a truggy is really only fun on a track - that's what it's meant for.. So yeah, it handles better, but who cares if you're just running around in front of your house or in some construction site? An MT can be fun anywhere - IMO anyway..

As for which MT, Losi XXL or Savage X4.6 - or Savage XL with LRP 30 or Picco 28.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
Had a friend that had one, it ate clutch bell bearings right and left. I would recommend keeping plenty of c/b bearings on hand. Also the dual steering servo set-up is junk....not worth it. If he is going to bash. I would say
a Savage.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:04 AM
Tech Initiate

sorry,iwant to konw how to post a new thread?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:49 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bobbyc1127 View Post
Had a friend that had one, it ate clutch bell bearings right and left. I would recommend keeping plenty of c/b bearings on hand. Also the dual steering servo set-up is junk....not worth it. If he is going to bash. I would say
a Savage.
the Muggy was great truck that got a bad rap, truggy tires solved the clutch problems and a solo steering servo was the was the way to. Ran an LRP Z.28 in mine it was insane, jumped and handled like every truggy at the track. Kinda wish I still had it.
Attached Thumbnails Nitro Truggy vs Monster truck-muggy.jpg  
Old 11-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

X2.. The Muggy was awesome. Just needed to ditch the big dumb tires. The Muggy was essentially just a truggy with MT tires. Mine was a lot of fun, and very durable...
Old 11-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

H.oly c.rap.. As much as I like my LST2 - it's six+ years old and has always been awesome - I smashed it up against a curb about six months ago and it's been sitting ever since. Well, I finally got the spare parts, and started wrenching away at it today.. Basically I just needed to replace one side-rail and a bell-crank, and hammer the front skid back into some semblance of flatness. And jeeze - it is a MASSIVE PIA.. You have to take half the truck apart - must be 50+ screws. So far I've only had to dremel one stripped one(the stupid little 1/16 screws Losi inexplicably uses on these huge MT's...) And now I'm stuck because I can't find a .5mm hex driver or Allen key to get the last little part off...

I still really REALLY like my LST2 - but jeeze please don't let me break another side-rail...
Old 11-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post

Got a new fresh hopped up 811t for sale, one of a kind..

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/726918-pro-built-serpent-811-t-w-extras.html

this is the best ur going to find, hands down!!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sc308 View Post
Where do you want to run it ? What conditions ?

If you have some track - 8T all the way. I loved mine so much I bought another one for spares
But if you plan to bash it only or run it in wet conditions - some waterproof MT might be a better choice.