Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Li-ion receiver battery >

Li-ion receiver battery

Li-ion receiver battery

Old 11-20-2013, 01:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Li-ion receiver battery

Does anybody have knowledge on Li-ion receiver pack? Is it true that it only has lifetime of 2-3 years and its more "dangerous" than Lipo? Im driving Losi, so Im looking for small pack that fits. Thank you.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:31 AM
Tech Adept

I bought some of the Sworks or the new Tpro Li-Ions a few weeks back because i switched to AGAMA FR Cup edition.
Its a great battery and holds it charge well..
However.. IT DOES NOT!!! last an hour main with HV Ko Power and Response servos.. its lasted 55min and cost me a national victory about 2 weeks ago.. we have 1hour Amains in South Africa.

last 2-3years??? I have never kept a battery longer than 6months..
not because they break. just because the wires start to show some wear after 3 months and then i race it for another few weeks and get a new battery.. I never take the risk of running a battery for more than 6months. racing every weekend. its just my personal preference. last thing i want is a battery failure costing me a main... just my 2cents.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Warrenvd View Post
I bought some of the Sworks or the new Tpro Li-Ions a few weeks back because i switched to AGAMA FR Cup edition.
Its a great battery and holds it charge well..
However.. IT DOES NOT!!! last an hour main with HV Ko Power and Response servos.. its lasted 55min and cost me a national victory about 2 weeks ago.. we have 1hour Amains in South Africa.

last 2-3years??? I have never kept a battery longer than 6months..
not because they break. just because the wires start to show some wear after 3 months and then i race it for another few weeks and get a new battery.. I never take the risk of running a battery for more than 6months. racing every weekend. its just my personal preference. last thing i want is a battery failure costing me a main... just my 2cents.
Thats very bad, so sorry to hear that. May I know the capacity of yours? And how many amp did you charge it?

The reason I asked the shelf life was because if Li ion doesnt last more than 2 years, we really have to know how long the pack had been sitting at the shop? Because I read that manufacturing date is very important to know.

Honestly, I dont have many choices for Losi and Li ion looks small enough to fit in the box.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

well i know protek makes a losi battery

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Balancer-Plug

Dont buy the Sworks Li-Ion as i know they have been discontinued. but the Tpro Li-ion has been manufactured in the last 2 months.. at most..
Tpro is a 1580Mah (black) Sworks is 1850mah(red)
Old 11-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is a 2000 mah Nano Tech pack that just fits in the Agama rx box, front and rear. This is what I run in truck and buggy. They are cheap. Should last an hour race.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28653

On my losi, I ran the Pro-tek pack

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Balancer-Plug

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question, but that or the Losi brand battery are probably the best for that car.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BillyT. View Post
There is a 2000 mah Nano Tech pack that just fits in the Agama rx box, front and rear. This is what I run in truck and buggy. They are cheap. Should last an hour race.
I have a M12 and like to put everything in the front box. (no rear box) on FRCup Edition. those long stick packs has no space for my receiver in the front
Old 11-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

There is some room left in the front, but yeah, prolly not enough for RX too....
Old 11-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys for the responds, I understand Losi does make Lipo for its buggy but in the country I live, there isnt a single shop sells Losi receiver battery or any brand that fits. Thats the problem. What I found that fits (off course besides nimh) is that Li ion. But after reading some article, it gives me a bit of concern.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Hobby king might make a pack that fits... They ship anywhere...
Old 11-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BillyT. View Post
Hobby king might make a pack that fits... They ship anywhere...
Thanks, will give it a try
Old 11-23-2013, 01:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I used both before. ...no problem in an hour.
used 2 HV servo......1 hour...have about 20 mins of juice left with tpro...1580 mah......the discontinued sworkz more.....tats a 1700 mah battery....not 1850 mah.

The good things about li ion battery.....not as volatile and fire prone lipo.....safe......light weight.......and very consistent. ..rx battery.