Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Looking for help with a build >

Looking for help with a build

Looking for help with a build

Old 11-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for help with a build

Hey, I'm new to the forum here. I was looking to build myself a 1/8 scale sandrail. I plan on building the frame and chassis myself using tube for the roll cage. (probly steel brakeline) and some aluminum for the bottom of the chassis. You guys might laugh at me for this, but I was looking to use some parts from my exceed rc madstorm pro with the .28 engine. Most likely just the engine, servos and other small things from it. I was thinking of using the traxxas jato front suspension and traxxas stampede for the rear. I want lots of travel front and rear. Any ideas from the people on here that have done sandrail builds?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kurt2938 View Post
Hey, I'm new to the forum here. I was looking to build myself a 1/8 scale sandrail. I plan on building the frame and chassis myself using tube for the roll cage. (probly steel brakeline) and some aluminum for the bottom of the chassis. You guys might laugh at me for this, but I was looking to use some parts from my exceed rc madstorm pro with the .28 engine. Most likely just the engine, servos and other small things from it. I was thinking of using the traxxas jato front suspension and traxxas stampede for the rear. I want lots of travel front and rear. Any ideas from the people on here that have done sandrail builds?

Thanks in advance
You will be able to get more travel if you use shocks and springs from a 1/8 truggy or even from the 1/5 Baja line. Check e-bay and the F/S threads for some good deals.

Show us some pics of your progress.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

sounds like a neat project... i too would like to see some pics
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kurt2938 View Post

Thanks in advance
The traxxas stuff is only 1/10th scale. It won't hold up to anything a 1/8th scale could put it through. The jato steering parts are very week and the stampede rear end is week too. The plastic axles definitely will not handle a .28!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey all, thanks for the input. I kinda thought a stampede rear end and jato front end would be a little weak. Those seem to be the ones everyone else is using, but they must be using 1/10 scale motors with it. Any other rear ends I should use? I'Ll likely need a slipper clutch as well and a strong differential. And for those of you wanting pics, I'm not sure when I'll be doing this project. Im just trying to get all my info together. But I'Ll definitely try to post pics of the during and after shots
Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Rookie

I think a revo rear end would be slick, but I dont have a clue how that would mount on a diy chassis. Those revo chassis are... different.