Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Force .28; do they really suck that much??? >

Force .28; do they really suck that much???

Force .28; do they really suck that much???

Old 11-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default Force .28; do they really suck that much???

I have several vehicles mostly stadium trucks and small block terrors. I wanted to try something bigger and bought a used Ofna Ultra MBX and a new Ofna LX2. The ultra was having problems with the motor so I swapped on an O'Donnell SS .21. This things rips like nothing else. Not racing just bashing but this motor has some serious ass to it. The LX2 on the other hand with the .28 just feels weak. It will light up and pull but nothing like the SS .21 does.

Since the force .28 is still fairly new I am keeping temps below 230 and Ofna suggests 220-250. Hell the O'Donnell is even lower running at 210 max. Is it my tuning or do the Force .28 suck? My SS .21 is a bump start and the force .28 is pull; would swapping to a bump style open it up?

I also have a axial .32, would it be to much for the LX2?

Thanks and sorry for the newb questions but I am considering selling the .28 and going with the axial.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To be honest a lot of the Low end .28 engine brands have less power than a decent .21 and a good brand .28 will make a ridiculous amount more power.

So what you are seeing is normal.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Then let me change the line of question. I am die hard believer in OS max engines. Absolutely love the old school CV and CVR. If I had the money I would go with OS max .21 XZ or maybe even 25 XZ. I don't think they are priced unfair but just a bit out of range for me. What else gives that type of performance with excellent tune capability, durability, and MPG without breaking $200 ish. There is the .21 XR which looks to pack less of a punch but if has the other 3 strengths I would probably go with it.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Honestly there are a lot of engine choices and you will hear many , many opinions of which is better, etc...

I would just start with what your budget allows, then what is most important to you and what you are going to be using the engine for, buggy,truggy bashing, racing and then narrow it down from there.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zandrew View Post
Then let me change the line of question. I am die hard believer in OS max engines. Absolutely love the old school CV and CVR. If I had the money I would go with OS max .21 XZ or maybe even 25 XZ. I don't think they are priced unfair but just a bit out of range for me. What else gives that type of performance with excellent tune capability, durability, and MPG without breaking $200 ish. There is the .21 XR which looks to pack less of a punch but if has the other 3 strengths I would probably go with it.

Thanks
Dude do yourself a favor and do not try to polish that turd (Force 28) they are cheaply made low quality RTR mills....

You can spend 200 bux and get a decent engine but my personal advice is to get one made in Italy or Japan...
Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

The Force brand engines are world wide used by many brands, even HPI is using them. If they were really crap then for sure a brand like HPI would not use them.

Yes, Force is not the fastest brand but those engines are a compromise between choices of materials, performance and lifespan to get an affordable and good running engine.
Ofcource Force does have competition engines as well. I believe some toplevel brands like the RB Killer series are made by Force.

In your price range you can get a lot from many brands. Over here in Holland the Alpha and Werks engines are very populair.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
The Force brand engines are world wide used by many brands, even HPI is using them. If they were really crap then for sure a brand like HPI would not use them.

Yes, Force is not the fastest brand but those engines are a compromise between choices of materials, performance and lifespan to get an affordable and good running engine.
Ofcource Force does have competition engines as well. I believe some toplevel brands like the RB Killer series are made by Force.

In your price range you can get a lot from many brands. Over here in Holland the Alpha and Werks engines are very populair.
I don't think the motor is crap but I do feel my best option is to sell it and use the funds on another option. I will say the carb was very easy to tune out of the box and comparing that too my Mugen MR21 B01A that is saying something since I can not get it too do more then just idle.

Options I am seriously considering are:

Arrow GTR
OS .21 XR-B
Nova P5XLT, P3XS, N21B
Werks B2, B5, B6
Alpha F850 with pipe

What I worry about is the Werks seems to be a cousin of the aforementioned Mugen MR21 and its carb sucks or I suck. I am concerned the Werks would be difficult for me to tune. If the Arrow delivers what it advertises I would probably settle for it as long as there is no durbility issues.

Any other candidates?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

A buggy with ANY 28, set up, geared and tuned right, should be plenty fast. I bet a pipe change would make a big difference..
Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In my opinion, any engine is good provided you take the time to maintain it and not just shove it in the corner when you're done using it. Having said that, I have had a few force engines, and I can honestly say that they are no Novarossi or O.S. I have O.S. engines in all my r/c cars and planes, and they have never given me any issues.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

I don't know why would anybody need to have .28 equipped buggy. I have Alpha A352 (.23 at about $200) in a truggy and it's silly fast.
I have to keep my finger under control not to fly off the track I think a buggy with such an engine would be totally uncontrollable.
And it's .23, not a .28!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

The .28 actually came on the car so that is why I have it. My guess Ofna uses that motor to make comparable power as other higher end setups. The motor just does not have what the .21 O'Donnell has and its not one of the better motors out there.

I mostly interested in .21 setup. I like the revs and fuel usage. I just don't want to buy a turd and it seems like some of the Nova motors I mentioned don't produce the high RPM's I am addicted too.

Honestly I swapped on an Axial .32 and it did not suit me either. I think its more of grunter then go'er. Does anyone have personal expierence with the Arrow GTR? Is it all they crack it out to be?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

You have to find a pipe that match with your engine as well. that's is important. Arrow GTR is really smooth engine I used mine with OS 2060 pipe, however my case cracked at near the end of gallon number 4...... otherwise the Arrow is a nice mill for the price. So I just picked up an OS instead, and it's been running great so far but seriously you pay for what you get. Also pull start engine won't rev as high as the bump start engine.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 AM
Tech Champion

There are lots of very good well-priced 21 engines around. Werks B5 or B6, RB Blast, any of the Alphas, etc..