Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Beginners Guide to Nitro? >

Beginners Guide to Nitro?

Beginners Guide to Nitro?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Beginners Guide to Nitro?

I'm thinking about getting into Nitro next summer (8th scale nitro buggy) and have a whole bunch of dumb questions about it. Is there any kind of beginners guide or FAQ for nitro newbies that someone could share?

Some of my questions included:
1) Do motors come with the clutch/flywheel?
1a)If not, how do you know which clutch you need?

2)How do you know what size manifold you need for the pipe? I've seen small, medium and extra small.

3)What are the common spare parts you will need to carry for nitro engines?

4)What kind of maintenance is required with nitro engines? How often is it needed?

5)Why do so many nitro vehicles flame out when they flip over?

6)How many race days will a gallon of fuel get me through?

I could go on and on...

Thanks for any and all help you can offer and information you can lead me to.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

1) no, they come with the car.
1a) depends on your car. Some use 34mm some use 32mm flywheel.

2) most pipe sets are sold with a manifold to suit it. If not, read the forums, plenty of answers to questions which have already been asked by others, so use the search functions. Google: "whichever question you have site:rctech.net" will limit search result to rctech.net forums. without the " marks of course.

3) glow plug replacements. You should also carry replacement ball bearings for clutchbell.

4) depends if you rune race-tune of practice tune. If you run an engine slightly fat, practice-tuned, you can make it last 12 gallons easy. If you only run it for racing, tuning it very aggressively lean, it will run 3 or 4 gallons before needing a repinch, and most likely a new con rod, and in some cases maybe a new crank shaft. For repinch go to RayAracing or RCrenew. (I use Rayaracing)

5) because the owner either a) has a very old very worn and used engine which won't run right or b) the tune is very wrong

6) one race usually runs you about 1/2 gallon, that's qualifying, semi-final and final
Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You should also have extra clutch shoes and clutch springs, those thing can wear out quite quick depending on how you drive.

As with the glow plugs, you should keep a variety of plugs of different "heat" ratings as different track locations can vary in altitude and can effect the tune of the engine.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

you will also need spare air filters.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Lol yeah another victim. Justin i got a modded jq yellow edition roller cheap if u want it. Pm me. Also read the engine tuning bible in the engine thread. Its great info
Old 11-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1) as stated above, engines do not come with a clutch... if you buy a new car it will come with a clutch/flywheel. if your buying used and starting from scratch, lookup the part numbers in the cars manual and startoff with buying the OEM flywheel and clutch assembly. clutch/flywheel setups can very slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer as far as the dimensions of the parts. not everything will work on any buggy... that way, if you start off with oem and want to upgrade from there you will know exactly whats needed, you will have a "starting point"

2) the different sizes your specifying describe the bend or length of a manifold which effects the performance characteristics of your engine (top end, bottom end, runtime...) technically, any 1/8th manifold will fit on and work with any .21 engine/pipe as far as i know with one exception - some buggies have less clearance than others and using a narrow manifold is required. you just need to do some research to see which combination will work for what you want with your application. As stated above, some engine manufacturers sell great performing engine/pipe combos which are a fail safe plan if all else fails.

4) on a shorter term basis, replacing your air filter and removing your flywheel to clean your front bearing after every track day will prolong the life of your engine.

there is a wealth of information in this forum... just find the thread pertaining to your choice of buggy and start reading. you will learn tons

dont forget the Engine sub forum

one thing you didnt ask about which i believe is extremely important- overall maintenance of your car. over and over and over... and lots of it. you want to know the thing inside and out. tearing it down and cleaning after a long day at the track is when your gonna start finding things that may have came loose or broke that you may not have found otherwise until it caused a bigger problem. proper maintenance will keep your car running smooth, saves you $$$, and helps to ensure a more enjoyable day at the track.