Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Smooth throttle vs blipping throttle. >

Smooth throttle vs blipping throttle.

Smooth throttle vs blipping throttle.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default Smooth throttle vs blipping throttle.

I see this a lot. I try to use smooth linear throttle movements to get around the track, and then I see some people constantly blipping the throttle. It's annoying especially when it's nitro.

What's your style of driving and why?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'ma noob but I used smooth throttle because I'm used to playing sim games. Now I find myself blipping because it keeps the RPMs up through the slow sections.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silo View Post
I'ma noob but I used smooth throttle because I'm used to playing sim games. Now I find myself blipping because it keeps the RPMs up through the slow sections.
hmmm, interesting. however with a good tune you don't need to keep the rpms up. i'm assuming to keep it from loading up on the bottom end?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

I think he is talking about keeping up the speed in the corners. Short bursts
Old 11-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Blipping the throttle wastes fuel and causes unnecessary weight transfer from front to rear. It's a bad practice although almost every nitro driver is guilty of it, myself included. If you can keep from doing it you will most certainly be faster.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
I think he is talking about keeping up the speed in the corners. Short bursts
Yeah, I find blipping faster than smooth throttle on corners and small bumps. For exiting long corners smooth throttle is defiantly better. I think it depends on the track, again, noob here(let me know if I'm doing this wrong), but I use both depending on how the track is setup.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Old 11-08-2013, 12:25 PM
am
Tech Master

I like the smooth aproach. It keeps me in Control better as i am not to good on the "wrc" driving style from the 80`s. I find my laptimes 0.3-0.5 of the fastetst drivers in Norway. There is only a couple of guys here that gets as good fuelconsumption as i am. On the other side, i would have gone fatser if i learned the Wrc style, but fuelconsumptions is going Down drastic when i try to drive like that. And when i makes mistakes it costs me alot more :-)
Old 11-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Adept

I don't only blip on the throttle, also have a bad habbit letting go of steering wheel on corners. Anyone els or am I alone with this bad habbit
Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Blipping the throttle is good if you have a badly carburated engine prone to loading up with fuel when on low throttle and then stalling when you push the throttle again. If you're carburated correctly, then it shouldn't be necessary.

I'm a firm believer in being smooth on the throttle.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

I think you'll find the majority of pros are "blippers" to some extent. That said, do what you're most comfortable with.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The most epic "blipper" I have ever seen HAS to be Richard Saxton. I don't even know how he can "blip" so many times per second!

Tebo is right up there too; even in 1/10 Electric.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)

I drive an e buggy and recently went to nitro also and I had trouble with the smooth approach. I am very smooth on the throttle with e buggy but with nitro it just didn't feel right to me. I always went back to blipping. I could drive smoother that way and it doesn't hurt my fuel mileage. Now I catch myself even blipping my e buggy too and to be honest it helps me around the turns.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
Blipping the throttle is good if you have a badly carburated engine prone to loading up with fuel when on low throttle and then stalling when you push the throttle again. If you're carburated correctly, then it shouldn't be necessary.

I'm a firm believer in being smooth on the throttle.

It really has zero to do with the tune.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
hmmm, interesting. however with a good tune you don't need to keep the rpms up. i'm assuming to keep it from loading up on the bottom end?
that's the only reason I can see, other than that you wouldn't need it.
I never do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.