R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Anyone out there with Kyosho MP9 or Serpent RTR yet? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/770400-anyone-out-there-kyosho-mp9-serpent-rtr-yet.html)

ASATRUGGYFAN 11-08-2013 05:42 AM

Anyone out there with Kyosho MP9 or Serpent RTR yet?

Looking for any "real world" experience with the MP9/Serpent RTR? Been out of the Hobby for about 4/5 years, my 7 year old wants to race now so I'm going to get her a SC. I want to get a Nitro 1/8 looking at the Kyosho, Serpent, Associated and JQ. Have read a good bit about the ASC and JQ, but looking for opinions on all, especially Kyosho/Serpent. I've been in the Hobby 20+ years I know kits are better, but I don't have time to build kits or invest the $ anymore(also want new). Both my daughters play Travel softball, VERY time consuming and expensive so thus will be 1/2 a month Hobby at best. Thanks for any input....

Maximo 11-08-2013 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by ASATRUGGYFAN (Post 12706643)
Looking for any "real world" experience with the MP9/Serpent RTR? Been out of the Hobby for about 4/5 years, my 7 year old wants to race now so I'm going to get her a SC. I want to get a Nitro 1/8 looking at the Kyosho, Serpent, Associated and JQ. Have read a good bit about the ASC and JQ, but looking for opinions on all, especially Kyosho/Serpent. I've been in the Hobby 20+ years I know kits are better, but I don't have time to build kits or invest the $ anymore(also want new). Both my daughters play Travel softball, VERY time consuming and expensive so thus will be 1/2 a month Hobby at best. Thanks for any input....

We picked up a Serpent RTR E-Buggy........I thought it was quite good.......I am not sure about the Nitro version as I have not tried it..but I can say the electric version was quite solid

ASATRUGGYFAN 11-08-2013 06:04 AM

Even the electronics? Thought about doing a 1/8 E-Buggy, just thought Nitro would be easier for me fall back into. Haven't raced anything Electric since early 2000's, but is an option.

Maximo 11-08-2013 06:12 AM

[QUOTE=ASATRUGGYFAN;12706702]Even the electronics? Thought about doing a 1/8 E-Buggy, just thought Nitro would be easier for me fall back into. Haven't raced anything Electric since early 2000's, but is an option.[/QUOT

we had no issues with any of it...relative to others in its price range its quite good.....

charlesandstuff 11-08-2013 01:23 PM

Get the mp9 rtr for sure. I don't have one but I have the mp9 tki3 and it is so nice and handles better than any rc I've driven. Kyosho quality is the best. If I were you I would most definitely get the mp9. It will be competitive right out of the box.

wombat 11-08-2013 01:52 PM

I think the serpent is a slightly better spec'd package of the two on paper, but the sticker price is way up there which, for me, kinda kills it from an RTR perspective. The serpent has really only just been released and I would think not many people drive one yet to pass on a real world review.

+1 for the kyosho based on price and potential driveability (very similar layout to the kit version) - I would imagine parts availability should be much better as well

frozencone 11-08-2013 08:08 PM

Serpent RTR is nice. Engine is good. Servos are okay for an RTR. Radio is okay for an RTR... maybe because I'm used to the Airtronics M12.

However I've never seen or drive the Kyosho RTR yet, so I'd rather not comment on that.

But I do own both Serpent Cobra 2.0 and Kyosho TKI3, I've got to say Kyosho is easier to drive fast and seems I can push the car a little bit more than Serpent. However I am still impressed with how Serpent drives. I like how it jumps and how it lands. doesn't really get out of shape easily

frozencone 11-08-2013 08:09 PM

Serpent RTR is nice. Engine is good. Servos are okay for an RTR. Radio is okay for an RTR... maybe because I'm used to the Airtronics M12.

However I've never seen or drive the Kyosho RTR yet, so I'd rather not comment on that.

But I do own both Serpent Cobra 2.0 and Kyosho TKI3, I've got to say Kyosho is easier to drive fast and seems I can push the car a little bit more than Serpent. However I am still impressed with how Serpent drives. I like how it jumps and how it lands. doesn't really get out of shape easily :nod: