Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Possible clutch issues... >

Possible clutch issues...

Possible clutch issues...

Old 11-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Possible clutch issues...

I have an ofna jammin x1 crt, recently I started experiencing the engine spinning w/o producing any power to the wheels. I checked the clutch and it seemed fried (it was the ofna purple 3 shoe). I ordered a new clutch from M2C and installed it, I'm still having the same issues.

What is the best way to trouble shoot what the issue is?

The mesh is set up correctly, the clutch bearing are both new, fyi

Is it possible the clutch isn't grabbing correctly? I spoke to someone who said I could've blown a diff (I checked the set screws by the cods, they're both really tight and when I spin it by hand it spins fine)

The clutch engages better on the box, when I put on the ground under load, the engine will rev (so it's not an engine issue) but the car barely moves.

Should I go back to the ofna purple clutch? I did change the clutch bell to a new one, but it's the same as the one I used previously (ofna vented)

Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Is it possibly the clutch nut not tight enough? Flywheel is too loose IMO
Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BMenard17 View Post
Is it possibly the clutch nut not tight enough? Flywheel is too loose IMO
I'll give that a check next, I gave it a quick check, but I'll really crank down on it.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

was this a problem that sprung up out of nowhere, like you were all good then all the sudden this happened... or .... ?

hmm... could very well be your flywheel but that doesnt ecplain your shoes. hard to say with out being able to see it. if your shoes were fried, take a look at your bell, was it discolored? if so, your shoes were def. slipping bad which makes me wonder if you have some kinda bad restriction in your drivetrain.

does the truck roll smoothly on the ground? do your tires spin on your starter when you apply throttle?

when was the last time the diffs were rebuilt and are you sure they werent overfilled?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Replace flywheel collet that sits on the shaft
Old 11-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 collet sounds like the issue....however, if you are starting it with a bump box that still seems unlikely. Make sure all of the drive pines are good. Even on the wheel output shafts...be through, it will be obvious ....
Old 11-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motoclay View Post
+1 collet sounds like the issue....however, if you are starting it with a bump box that still seems unlikely. Make sure all of the drive pines are good. Even on the wheel output shafts...be through, it will be obvious ....
Starting on the bump you'd be placing pressure on the flywheel...which will let the flywheel grab on the output shaft via the collet even if the collet is not a tight fit on the flywheel/shaft, due to the pressure placed pressing down on the car. Quite possible situation.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

wish this dude would just reply already cuz im dying to know whats wrong... the fact that he said his clutch shoes were fried and that hes having problems with both clutch/flywheel setups (which would each have their own collets) makes me think its something else... dam OCD lol...
Old 11-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by xyzyx00 View Post
wish this dude would just reply already cuz im dying to know whats wrong... the fact that he said his clutch shoes were fried and that hes having problems with both clutch/flywheel setups (which would each have their own collets) makes me think its something else... dam OCD lol...
I'm here for ya buddy!!

I didn't change the flywheel, just the clutch.

It came on sort of suddenly, my clutch wasn't changed in awhile before that so it's possible it was at the end of its life. When I went to change it I had to change clutch bells cause a clutch bearing was stuck in the bell, not sure if that means anything.

The car rolls freely, I can turn it by hand and there isn't any binding. I changed the diff fluids myself and Im pretty sure that weren't over filled. I haven't checked them since I originally changed the clutch.

I haven't checked the collet yet.