Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What off track training do you do? >

What off track training do you do?

What off track training do you do?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default What off track training do you do?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. We all know how important practice is, but we also have lives that prevent us from spending 8 hours a day at the track.

What do you do between practice and race days to keep you sharp?

I've spent my entire life playing sports and competing. I raced motocross for a little over 10 years, played baseball until college and now play competitive softball. So for me, training has been a way of life. I'm always looking for that edge. What can I do to make myself better.

One thing I started doing when I raced motocross and carried over to RC, before I race I will visualize the track in my head. I will picture myself running laps and hitting the lines ensuring that I know the layout and the lines I need to take. I will do this over and over and over again. The night before the race, I will go to sleep doing this. When I get to the track, I will keep doing so as much as I can.

Another thing I do is staying healthy. I went for an 8 year span where I dropped most of the sports I was involved in. I dislocated my shoulder when racing motocross and have a post labrum tear. The result of this was a shoulder that would fall out of socket doing something as simple as brushing my teeth. During this time I would only wakeboard and surf maybe twice a month, which isn't active enough but I couldn't do much due to my shoulder. In this time frame is when I picked up RC again.

I finally got sick of the shoulder issues after a decade and wen't to the Dr. He put me though physical therapy and got it stable for me without surgery. Once I had confidence in my shoulder again, it was on. I was immediately back in the gym and getting more and more active. This is when I really noticed myself getting faster. There is a science to this. I was working receptors which helped reaction times. I started eating better which helps you be more alert and gives you energy.
Now I'm a few years into this and a completely different person, but regressed in my racing a bit. We lost our home track so I had nowhere to practice for quite some time. Now we have numerous tracks here for me to take advantage of, but I still need to get my speed back and get better than I was.
So a lot of practice is on the agenda. Remaining healthy and eating right is a big part. 4 days a week in the gym training isn't going to change.

I have been researching and using what knowledge I have. RC Racing is all about reaction time. The faster you can react, the better you're going to be. How do you decrease your reaction times though? It's all about exercising those receptors in your brain and keeping them sharp.
Video games, that works your eye hand coordination as well as reaction times. Not my personal choice, but it works.

I look at what athletes are doing personally. I've been running some of the drills that NFL corner backs run. Those guys have to be sharp and react extremely fast.
I just got a ball made specifically for reaction training. You just bounce it and catch it, but you have no idea which way it will bounce back. I do this 15 minutes each day that I do cardio training at the gym.

The bottom line is if you want to get better, you have to put in the work.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

VRC is the best way for me to practice when I can't go to the track.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

This is how I stay fresh for the A-main!

#BOOM!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I agree with the video game thing. When I was younger I would play video games for hours on end(mainly racing games or driving games). I don't hardly ever play anymore but I did take up other things. I played pool for a bit and now I play darts a couple nights a week. Both are really dependent on focus, accuracy and concentration along with the competitive pressure.

The physical part is often over looked but it takes a lot of stamina to stand up there for long nitro mains. One thing I've been working hard on for actually racing this year is controlling my adrenaline. Getting good sleep before and during race weekends. Eating well throughout the day and limiting caffeine. Next time at the track, take note of the guys slamming monsters all day or chugging Mt. Dew. There's a much higher chance those will be the guys having a melt down on the drivers stand because the marshal isn't getting their car that they crashed fast enough.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

extremely jealous my friend!!!! let me know if you want me to take that off your hands lol

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
This is how I stay fresh for the A-main!

#BOOM!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

RC Drivers are highly tuned athletes.. to compete at the top levels one should do 6 to 8 hours of cardio and strength training, mixed with healthy diet. I would also suggest sleeping in hyperbaric chamber to aid in recovery from all the training it takes to be a top RC racer.....

Old 10-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KThatcher View Post
RC Drivers are highly tuned athletes.. to compete at the top levels one should do 6 to 8 hours of cardio and strength training, mixed with healthy diet. I would also suggest sleeping in hyperbaric chamber to aid in recovery from all the training it takes to be a top RC racer.....

What about hanging a 10lb plate off your transmitter? You know... Beef up those arms!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I drink beer. Keeps me in RC shape.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. We all know how important practice is, but we also have lives that prevent us from spending 8 hours a day at the track.

What do you do between practice and race days to keep you sharp?

I've spent my entire life playing sports and competing. I raced motocross for a little over 10 years, played baseball until college and now play competitive softball. So for me, training has been a way of life. I'm always looking for that edge. What can I do to make myself better.

One thing I started doing when I raced motocross and carried over to RC, before I race I will visualize the track in my head. I will picture myself running laps and hitting the lines ensuring that I know the layout and the lines I need to take. I will do this over and over and over again. The night before the race, I will go to sleep doing this. When I get to the track, I will keep doing so as much as I can.

Another thing I do is staying healthy. I went for an 8 year span where I dropped most of the sports I was involved in. I dislocated my shoulder when racing motocross and have a post labrum tear. The result of this was a shoulder that would fall out of socket doing something as simple as brushing my teeth. During this time I would only wakeboard and surf maybe twice a month, which isn't active enough but I couldn't do much due to my shoulder. In this time frame is when I picked up RC again.

I finally got sick of the shoulder issues after a decade and wen't to the Dr. He put me though physical therapy and got it stable for me without surgery. Once I had confidence in my shoulder again, it was on. I was immediately back in the gym and getting more and more active. This is when I really noticed myself getting faster. There is a science to this. I was working receptors which helped reaction times. I started eating better which helps you be more alert and gives you energy.
Now I'm a few years into this and a completely different person, but regressed in my racing a bit. We lost our home track so I had nowhere to practice for quite some time. Now we have numerous tracks here for me to take advantage of, but I still need to get my speed back and get better than I was.
So a lot of practice is on the agenda. Remaining healthy and eating right is a big part. 4 days a week in the gym training isn't going to change.

I have been researching and using what knowledge I have. RC Racing is all about reaction time. The faster you can react, the better you're going to be. How do you decrease your reaction times though? It's all about exercising those receptors in your brain and keeping them sharp.
Video games, that works your eye hand coordination as well as reaction times. Not my personal choice, but it works.

I look at what athletes are doing personally. I've been running some of the drills that NFL corner backs run. Those guys have to be sharp and react extremely fast.
I just got a ball made specifically for reaction training. You just bounce it and catch it, but you have no idea which way it will bounce back. I do this 15 minutes each day that I do cardio training at the gym.

The bottom line is if you want to get better, you have to put in the work.
^^^...Seriously Thanks for the Laugh......

This is truly the most hilarious post I have read on here in a long minute.....

Ive showed some fellow workers here in My Office and We died laughing...

"The bottom line" is that you are a funny dewd......

Again Thank You for the laughs...
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Brraapppppp
Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just remember its toy car racing , no need for training . I don't race for months sometimes and find I don't loose any of my reaction time .
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan blight View Post
just remember its toy car racing , no need for training . I don't race for months sometimes and find I don't loose any of my reaction time .
That doesn't sound realistic at all. It's a high-twitch hobby no matter how you put it. Your reaction isn't going to be the same as someone who is practicing everyday.

I don't race, but I'm pretty sure VRC Pro is the best way to practice at home.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:18 PM
HH
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What is VRC Pro?
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I hope I never take racing toy cars seriously enough that I begin a training ritual. No offense but I enjoy the racing and hanging out with my friends. I'm not fast and I don't care if I ever will be. When it becomes a chore and a hassle and takes up 20 hours of my week to keep myself "prepared", I'll switch to another hobby.
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by neophyte6 View Post
^^^...Seriously Thanks for the Laugh......

This is truly the most hilarious post I have read on here in a long minute.....

Ive showed some fellow workers here in My Office and We died laughing...

"The bottom line" is that you are a funny dewd......

Again Thank You for the laughs...

Laugh all you want, I don't care what you and your construction working friends think.
In no way am I saying you need to train as a professional athlete to race RC, you completely missed the point, therefore I'm laughing at your comprehension skills.

Training works the receptors in your brain. Do you understand how this works? If you are involved in active sports or training that requires you to make quick decisions, then you are exercising the same receptors that are being used when racing RC. The more you use this, the more acclimated to it your brain and body becomes. The human body is very adaptive.

Not everyone cares to take it that seriously, they are toy cars. I'm a very competitive person and anything I do, I'm going to do it to the absolute best of my abilities and push myself even further.

At least I'm thinking outside the box and pushing myself. What are you doing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.