R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   The screw broke now im screwed... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/764718-screw-broke-now-im-screwed.html)

TLRNitroBasher 10-13-2013 07:14 PM

The screw broke now im screwed...

hey guys i need your help.

i was screwing in the clutch screw and i really over tightened it and the screw head ended up breaking off :( so now part of the screw is still stuck down inside the clutch. i doubt theres away to get the screw out without damaging anything else but if you have an idea please let me know. i really hope i don't have to buy a whole new engine because of it:cry: any ideas to fix this thanks

ThePanda 10-13-2013 07:29 PM

It's stuck in the crankshaft output?

TLRNitroBasher 10-13-2013 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ThePanda (Post 12629261)
It's stuck in the crankshaft output?

unfortunately yes

bve_evb 10-13-2013 07:36 PM

put plenty of lubricating oil on the broken screw and set overnight.

Use a small drill bit to drill into center of screw and use super glue to lock drill bit into

screw. Use a drill on reverse mode and try.

Thanks

roychan69 10-13-2013 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by TLRNitroBasher (Post 12629218)
hey guys i need your help.

i was screwing in the clutch screw and i really over tightened it and the screw head ended up breaking off :( so now part of the screw is still stuck down inside the clutch. i doubt theres away to get the screw out without damaging anything else but if you have an idea please let me know. i really hope i don't have to buy a whole new engine because of it:cry: any ideas to fix this thanks

Sorry to hear that mate...

Use a reverse drill bit to drill it out, as you drill it will unscrew the broken off screw,
bring it to a workshop, you need to have a drill press vise to clamp it down and a drill press.

KingdomRacer 10-13-2013 08:03 PM

I would not drill into that screw/crank without it clamped on a drill press or mill.
I own a set of micro easy outs that has helped me in rare times like this but you really need to be experienced using them for best results...
If your not comfortable doing it yourself send it to Lance at RCRenew.com and he will fix it for you.
Good Luck!

nickdawg18 10-13-2013 10:10 PM

Put some heat on the output shaft (not too much) and use a left handed drill bit on slow mode.

Rsickles 10-13-2013 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer (Post 12629389)
I would not drill into that screw/crank without it clamped on a drill press or mill.

This!

It needs to be clamped down in a press or lathe to ensure you're drilling into the center point of the screw... otherwise you're just going to 'walk' the bit straight into the edge of the screw/crankshaft/threads and damage it.

Any machinist should be able to get it out without a problem.

Roelof 10-14-2013 05:30 AM

If you can take off the clutchbell the most simple way is to grind a slot on top of it with a dremel. Then it is possible to unscrew the threaded part with a small screwdriver.

No worries if you create a small slot in the crankshaft also, it can handle it.

BillyT. 10-14-2013 05:41 AM

whoa whoa whoa... no need for heat or drilling or oil or anything like that.

Since the head broke off, there is zero tension on the threads, and what is left of the screw is loose.

All you need to figure out is how to get even the slightest bit of grip in the screw and it will easily back out.

Try a very small sharp flat head screw driver, and just pick at one side of the screw while turning it to loosen. You might even be able to tap the screw driver into the screw and get enough of an indention to unscrew it.

The screw isn't stuck. Heat, drilling, oil... all of these things are for threads that are mechanically bound up. If all you did was break the head off, and it's not cross threaded, or bottomed out, the screw is loose and will easily come out by turning it.

BillyT. 10-14-2013 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 12630049)

No worries if you create a small slot in the crankshaft also, it can handle it.

This too... don't be afraid to get into the snout with the drimmel. It will be fine.

But try picking at it first.

KA2AEV 10-14-2013 06:06 AM

Also if you have anything to grab onto try using a vise grips to grab onto it to back it out
Let us know how you make out good luck

3DRCRACER 10-14-2013 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by BillyT. (Post 12630061)
whoa whoa whoa... no need for heat or drilling or oil or anything like that.

Since the head broke off, there is zero tension on the threads, and what is left of the screw is loose.

All you need to figure out is how to get even the slightest bit of grip in the screw and it will easily back out.

Try a very small sharp flat head screw driver, and just pick at one side of the screw while turning it to loosen. You might even be able to tap the screw driver into the screw and get enough of an indention to unscrew it.

The screw isn't stuck. Heat, drilling, oil... all of these things are for threads that are mechanically bound up. If all you did was break the head off, and it's not cross threaded, or bottomed out, the screw is loose and will easily come out by turning it.

I have done this several times. Once on mine and a couple other times on other peoples motors. I used a dental pick and patience. If you used loctite it probably won't work.

BillyT. 10-14-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 3DRCRACER (Post 12630657)
If you used loctite it probably won't work.

Ahhhh... locktite. I never use it there, didn't even occur to me.

Blue locktite will supposedly loosen up with a hair driers worth of heat. If it's red you will need a torch.