Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
engine bearings too tight after flywheel install... help! >

engine bearings too tight after flywheel install... help!

engine bearings too tight after flywheel install... help!

Old 10-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default engine bearings too tight after flywheel install... help!

I also posted this in the engine room, I apologize if that was a no - no

but... im scratching my head over here...

ran the buggy last night, pull the car and i notice my clutch bearings were really tight. removed them and they felt fine, they were just too tight. then i noticed my flywheel nut was loose, reason for tight clutch bearings (Buku clutch) I tighten the nut, spin the flywheel and notice my engine bearings got really tight. seemed like my collet was applying too much pressure on my bearing. flywheel is shimmed plenty far away. removed the flywheel and bearings feel good.

tried my mugen flywheel which i never had problems with and got the same results.

?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sschultz View Post
Your collet is junk. Your crank reemed it out when it came loose. It could be fixed, but I would replace the collet.
thats what i figured, seems like the most logical solution, i even already have 2 new collets coming in the mail but what about my mugen flywheel? you should be able to torque down on the flywheel but pretty good without having any issues. If i torque down good on either flywheel i almost lock up my bearings
Old 10-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

fixed it!

figured the only way i could be smashing the front bearing would be if it wasnt seated on the inside of the crank...

measured my distance with a micrometer from the back plate housing to the tip of my crank. heated up the block and lightly tapped in on the crank from the back. let the block cool and remeasured and gained .3mm

installed my flywheel and torqued down tight, no more binding will ALWAYS use a very small amount of locktight on that nut from now on.

so... somehow when my flywheel nut came loose when the engine was heatsoaked, my crank moved .3mm. kinda scary...