Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Mugen Ninja 21 good starter motor??? >

Mugen Ninja 21 good starter motor???

Mugen Ninja 21 good starter motor???

Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default Mugen Ninja 21 good starter motor???

I have been running 1/10 nitro vehicles for awhile and now am moving up to 1/8 buggy. I found myself a ofna MBX for a good deal but it comes with a Mugen Ninja .21. I am not familiar with these motors at all and have had excellent expierence with OS motors. I have noticed the new Mugen Ninja 21b02 are OS max motors.

Is first generation Mugen Ninja also a OS max 21? Is it a good dependable and easily tuned motor? Does it hold a steady tune?

If this is not an ideal motor to get the feet wet with what is reasonable priced dependable option? Performance is not my number 1 concern but I would like something that will make it perform decently.

OS max motor I absolutely love but some of them priced outside what I can pay.

Any advice or suggestions I am open to them.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The BA01 is a 5 port engine. Case and crank are from a OS.28. IMO these are still one of the best .21 engines. The BAO2 is a 3 port that is based on the XZB. Timing is similar to the speed but it does not have the balanced DLC crank. Both good engines. If I had a the option of either engine I would take the BAO1
Dave
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I agree the ninja series are performer you have a solid engine..
Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

my friend runs this engine b02 in his mbx6t it is insane!!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

The one I have is not a BX02 but the first generation B01.

It seems like some of the good performing motors that are reasonably priced don't last. That is my concern mostly. Referring to not just the pinch but also bearings etc.

My replacement list would include the Alpha Lutz and the Works B5.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by zandrew View Post
The one I have is not a BX02 but the first generation B01.

It seems like some of the good performing motors that are reasonably priced don't last. That is my concern mostly. Referring to not just the pinch but also bearings etc.

My replacement list would include the Alpha Lutz and the Works B5.
Can't go wrong with the ninja B01, fantastic engine by OS. Just a shame they don't make em anymore.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Well I did not do enough research and the motor ended up being the older MR 21 made by GRP and designed by Mario Rossi. I have seen talk highly of this motor and some regard at it as garbage. I am not looking to race competitively just beat around with some friends. I am mostly interested in durability then anything else but some performance is nice. I do like my Revs.

If I end up pulling this motor I have 2 others I am interested in. The Arrow racing GTR which is supposed to be an OS clone or maybe the Alpha Lutz. If the Arrow has the quality, tunability, and similiar durability to the OS products then its a no brainer.

Maybe even swap in a .25 or .28 but I don't know how much run time they will hurt in compariso to the .21.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The Arrow, Ninja, and O.S. blue head are all similar motors. The internals are interchangeable.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Does anyone know the starting setings for the MR21 B01A? I have it instead of the JX series.