Wiki Posts
Search

Racers caught cheating at Italian job.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boV3DemhVP4

Looks like it is just a bit easier to drift, so can push harder.

I was there at the Italian Job but never noticed anything too odd about cars going round, so to me it seems that it is just a way of making up for not being able to drive a car properly. Nothing a bit of extra practise can't solve.

Everyone was told you weren't allowed them and they were checking the cars and radio in scrutineering, so not surprised that people we found if they were running it.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Tech Master

If you have ever flown a rc heli you will know exactly what a good gyro is capable of. In their crudest forms they are used to lock the tail of a helicopter by always counteracting the forces being applied on it. If not for a head locking gyro on a heli, once you pirouette to one side it would not stop unless you counteract the force you have applied.

On a rc car you would basically never have to correct a slide since the gyro, which would get connected to the steering channel and mounted as near to the front axle as possible, will just adjust the steering/counter steer PERFECTLY every time based on the angle of the tail stepping.
think about it…not having to deal with this too will mean that rather focusing on counter productive counter steering so to speak, you can just get on the throttle so much earlier. also, sliding around slows you down to as we know. the gyro will minimize that around ANY corner…causeing a much smoother change in direction and therfor more corner speed. Someone already mentioned it but it would allow you to get away with a super aggressive setup.
id say quite a good amount of time can be gained using a gyro as it is quite literally a AI driver aid.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Rookie

I was there also. Overall it was an amazing event and I have nothing bad to say. Couple of things were really weird though. Just before a heat started(after two days of racing) they started to brief drivers in Italian and when the english translation came, it was basicly that cutting the track is not allowed. I mean.. why do you even have to say that. I guess it is just that they know that there are people who forget the rules unless they are told repeatedly. And the gyro problem is a proof of that. But I'll definitely be there next year, the track is awesome.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Always the Italians huh?