Search

Losi 3.0 center dogbones on 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Default Losi 3.0 center dogbones on 2.0

Hi.
I have major trouble with the center front and rear CVD on my Losi 8ight 2.0
The part that connects to the front and rear diff always come lose.
The connection between the CVD and the coupler and then I lose these parts

So I would like to use the 8ight 3.0 setup instead where the coupler on the diffs are more like outdrives and the CVD is a dogbone instead.

If I buy THIS and THIS, will that work on the rear?
And then the same thing with the front but then of course this

My thinking is that it will work if the distance between the center diff and the rear/front diff are the same for both 2.0 and 3.0
Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

I highly recommend the front swing shaft over the dog bone but the rear dog bone will be fine. I reply after I'm not driving with links and reasons why.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BMenard17
I highly recommend the front swing shaft over the dog bone but the rear dog bone will be fine. I reply after I'm not driving with links and reasons why.
Thank you and I will wait for your reply since this is a major issue for me.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Front center dog bone wears fast IMO, rear will be perfect and help free up the drive train. And this will only work in the front http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...sal-Driveshaft
Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Tech Regular

OK. Thank you. But the front dogbone WILL FIT in the front of the 2.0?
So if I decide to try it out it will not give me any issues?

Do you have an idea to why I have such problems with the current setup coming lose?
Old 07-27-2013, 04:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah mate, it will fit. The 3.0 and the 2.0 have the same length chassis so the center drive shafts are also the same length. As for reasons for your current set up problems, are you using loctite on the grub screws?, if no then that is probably it.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by petrol n metal
Yeah mate, it will fit. The 3.0 and the 2.0 have the same length chassis so the center drive shafts are also the same length. As for reasons for your current set up problems, are you using loctite on the grub screws?, if no then that is probably it.
Yes i do use loctite but that doesn't help it seems. Every now and then the little cross just disappears and I have only RWD, the pieces is of course long gone so I can't really tell what happened. Was it the grub screw or did the pin snap (can that even happen)
Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Run a pin keeper..
Old 07-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Klimpen717
Yes i do use loctite but that doesn't help it seems. Every now and then the little cross just disappears and I have only RWD, the pieces is of course long gone so I can't really tell what happened. Was it the grub screw or did the pin snap (can that even happen)
That grub screw would come loose on me when I used blue loctite. Use red and it wont come off again. If you need to get it off use a heat gun.. that's what I do.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Klimpen717
Ive never had a pin snap myself, id say the grub screw is coming loose. As sunco1 said, red loctite is the go, it holds much better that the blue but will probably need some heat to make it release, I just use my soldering iron to get some heat into the grub screw when i need to undo it. Also, im guessing that you arent using a greese boot around the cvd? A boot would stop the pin from falling out if the grub screw came loose.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:40 AM
Tech Regular

I have now ordered pin keeper from King Headz and also a whole set of extra pins. Yesterday I bought loctite and the guy at the store actually asked me if I wanted to take it apart again after. I said no and he gave me the heavy stuff....

Now I have a new CVD and coupler (with new pin set) and everything was cleaned before I applied "the heavy stuff" and mounted it, I be damned if this isn't holding up.
I'm gonna hit the track now and you will see later if it worked good or not.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just a heads up on this, the rear dogbone for the 3.0 with the outdrive coupler for the 3.0 TLR242003 does not work with the 2.0 it's too short,