Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tire glueing problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I firmly believe, there is really only a couple company's actually making super glues..

Prep and thickness of the of the glue are key..

Me? Anything i have sitting close to me that will take off the release agent (hand sanitizer works great), also a quick run around the wheel bead with the cleaner, Losi thin (or any kind of thin), bands and done...

although i been eyeballing a Phin jig, i am sort of a tire junky, so i buy a lot of them, the jig makes sense to me..
Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

In fact I was using X3 Big Blox. The glue is brand new and I've glued some AKA and Beta with it with no issues. Perhaps it's really because of the compound. Tire ungluing from the wheels almost cost me my 3rd place in this weekend race so I really want to avoid it happens again. The tire set I've used in the final was glued
by a "tire gluing pro" because I've thought perhaps was lack of ability from my end. Nevertheless after 20 minutes or so the front ones came off even though I checked them before the main final. I applied a lot of strenght pulling the tire and they were perfectly glued.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

I've found the black flexible ca from hobbytown is totally indestructible. I haven't had not even one little section of tire come loose. Now not making a mess on your wheels is another story. It also comes off flawlessly after baking for 10 min at 350°.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Denatured alcohol and losi medium tire glue. I've used other brands of tire glue and they all worked fine, but losi is just always in stock at my LHS so that's what I use. I've also used tire bands, R/V sewer pipe clamps, and friction tape to hold the bead to the wheel and they all work well so it's really just a matter of what you have handy to get the job done.

If you can get Fusion tire glue it is super thin so it wicks deeper than most, but you can get medium glue just as deep in the joint if you push a little harder with your thumb when you apply so it's six of one and half dozen of the other.

It's more in how you glue up then it is what you use to glue up. The idea is to get the glue deep into the bead/wheel joint. The deeper the better. In many years of tire gluing I've never had any come apart.

No need to grind on the tire or wheel unless you are gluing to chrome.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yea, i have 0 issues without scuffing the wheel..
Old 07-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default AKA

AKA glue and denatured alcohol. I don't rough my wheels up. I always wipe the rims and tires down once, let it dry, then repeat the process. Kind of like the measure twice, cut once technique we use in carpentry. It takes a bit longer, but saves headaches in the long run. I've used several other glues, with the same prepping techniques and AKA has worked best for me.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Locktite glue

I use the thin Loctite glue from pretty much anywhere, but Walmart usually has it.

I've had issues with gluing Proline m3 compound tires. The rubber is stretchy and seems to just pull away from the glue. The wheels, AKA, never come loose from the glue.

I have been using windex to clean the rims and tires.

After you mount the tires go back and check to see if any blue dust gets in the bead area. very important.

On the tire gluing jig I gently press down on the open end side of the tire while closing the top piece. Then I use plenty of glue evenly around the tire. The I release the jig and let the tire sit there for about 30 seconds to allow the glue to settle all the way in the bead area before putting the bands on.

Between checking for blue dust from the foams and allowing the glue to settle before banding them I think this makes the biggest difference. Also using enough glue. The little bit that squishes out after putting the bands on should be smeared around the tire with the glue nozzle, wheel nut side, and on the inside of the rim wiped off, Hub side..
Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

I use a sanding drum on the bead and the wheels with ProLine glue. Never any problems.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You can sand/scuff if you want, I did for a long time, and simply stopped. It's a waste of time, and not needed. What you need to worry about is making sure the rim is CLEAN.

I won't use a rag to clean either. New, clean, washed or otherwise there is a chance there's residue on it. I only clean with a quality paper towel or the blue paper shop towels. I have no issues with tires coming off.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Super glue actually works better on a smooth non porous surface. So IMO, sanding is just asking for trouble.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

regardless of glue brand you should drop some on a cotton rag or shop towel and if it smokes you should be fine, if not get another bottle, whether its new or not.
I use laquer thinner and wipe till clean, with proline it will take a few wipes and also with Losi tires. let air dry then drop them in the Phin Jig and your good to go.
tryed the alcohol,windex,simple green,motor spray, brake cleaner,filter cleaner.and although they work "sometimes" laquer thinner always does.
I also glue tires EVERY WEEK OF THE YEAR, so I can see what works pretty good.
Proline has a lot of residue from the release agent so does Panther. AKA dont need much which is probably why the tire wipes work that they make.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I also like to wear nitride gloves while handling the beads so no oils from ur hands gets on the tire or rim
Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mo Denton
regardless of glue brand you should drop some on a cotton rag or shop towel and if it smokes you should be fine, if not get another bottle, whether its new or not.
I use laquer thinner and wipe till clean, with proline it will take a few wipes and also with Losi tires. let air dry then drop them in the Phin Jig and your good to go.
tryed the alcohol,windex,simple green,motor spray, brake cleaner,filter cleaner.and although they work "sometimes" laquer thinner always does.
I also glue tires EVERY WEEK OF THE YEAR, so I can see what works pretty good.
Proline has a lot of residue from the release agent so does Panther. AKA dont need much which is probably why the tire wipes work that they make.
Mo, do you also wipe down the bead on the wheels? Do you scuff up the bead on the wheels?

I have had a rash of tires blowing off my wheels lately. I wipe all the residue from the tire itself and then wipe down the bead; using brake cleaner for both. I then pop them in the Phin jig and use eaither AKA or Losi (thin) glue. Still blowing tires off the wheels
Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Jig

Originally Posted by hookem34
Mo, do you also wipe down the bead on the wheels? Do you scuff up the bead on the wheels?

I have had a rash of tires blowing off my wheels lately. I wipe all the residue from the tire itself and then wipe down the bead; using brake cleaner for both. I then pop them in the Phin jig and use eaither AKA or Losi (thin) glue. Still blowing tires off the wheels
Like I said Use plenty of glue and when you take the tire out of the jig let it sit for a minute so the glue can get down in there before you put the bands on. Made a big difference for me.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hookem34

I actually dont think it takes alot of glue to make it work. your problem may be the brake cleaner is chloronated which will leave a film and cause them to come off. there is a million ways to do and tons of ways to get there. all I know is when tryed other methods OR when I am in a pinch and forgot my laquer thinner I have had tires come off, but when I use that method I havent had a problem. and yes I wipe the rim down too sorry I didnt put that.
first check your glue on cotton or a shop rag
then wipe till clean and let dry
then Phin jig em up.
thick glue, thin glue, proline,aka,sweep,loctite...whatever, if it smokes its good. I personally have found the freshest glue tends to be the AKA and the new round bottle proline stuff is the shiz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.