Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Race track tips!!? Calling all racers/track drivers!! >

Race track tips!!? Calling all racers/track drivers!!

Race track tips!!? Calling all racers/track drivers!!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default Race track tips!!? Calling all racers/track drivers!!

Calling all racers/track drivers!

I went to my first rc track yesterday with an rc friend of mine!!! It was awesome!! There was a big race event going on and it was very cool to watch!! After the races were finished the track was free to anyone for practice. So Me and my buddy tuned our 2 losi 8ight buggies and we hit the track. Boy driving on a track is a whole lot harder than it looks!!!! Bashing is alot different and a lot easier! As the day went on i got 10x better then when i first stepped foot on the track which im happy about. By the end of the day i could make a full lap around the track with only 1 or 2 mistakes going at about alittle more then half throttle. But i would like to get alot better Is there any tricks, tips, or strategies for improving your driving skills to limit mistakes and increase speed? Thanks

We were on an 1/8 off road track by the way.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For me personally, I like to run a few times slowly and get familiar with the track before I push and go for lap times.
Always have someone look at how yr car runs so u can discuss how to tune it thereafter to suit the track.
Lastly, just enjoy!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TLRNitroBasher View Post

I went to my first rc track yesterday with an rc friend of mine!!! It was awesome!! There was a big race event going on and it was very cool to watch!! After the races were finished the track was free to anyone for practice. So Me and my buddy tuned our 2 losi 8ight buggies and we hit the track. Boy driving on a track is a whole lot harder than it looks!!!! Bashing is alot different and a lot easier! As the day went on i got 10x better then when i first stepped foot on the track which im happy about. By the end of the day i could make a full lap around the track with only 1 or 2 mistakes going at about alittle more then half throttle. But i would like to get alot better Is there any tricks, tips, or strategies for improving your driving skills to limit mistakes and increase speed? Thanks

Drive at half throttle and then slowly get faster. Don't try to make the big jumps as u will crash and likely break something.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Practice,practice,practice, and drive as slow as you have to so u can make full laps with no crashes or mistakes. Slow is fast in the begging. Until u get the experience to go fast. Find someone to help u set up ur car. The car need to be set up for the track. Having a car that is easy to drive is half the battle IMO!
And most of all have fun!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Besides having the proper tune for your track like, springs, oils, diff oils, foams, tires, toe, caster, camber, etc, what you really need to focus on is driving. So, before you even think about tuning your car for a race, you need to be able to drive first or tuning will get you no where in a hurry.

What I did when I first started out was basically drove the track every which way but sunday until I could hold consistent lap times. Once I was hitting my laps within two to three seconds each lap, then I started to tune my buggy to shave off time. After about two weekends of just tuning I went from 36 second laps down to 30 second laps. Good luck and stay thirsty my friend!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

WOW...that is funny, we all just posted within a few seconds of each other.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Tech Adept

First focus on getting clean laps even being slow, and once you are able to get around for few laps without crashing, then you can start to think tuning your car, ask also the guys at the track using the same car as you, what set up they use. Never start tuning your car before you are able to drive clean as you will not really feel any changes and you might just mess up your set up.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:02 AM
Tech Adept

Im very new to this hobby and know nothing about racing. So how do I go about setting up my buggy? What adjusts would I be making? I know i would make Suspension adjustments. But What else is there to adjust? To make my buggy easiest to drive.

Also what behavior from the buggy should i look for that indicates the adjustment I need to make?

For example, when Im driving and I notice my buggy is easily flipping over in turns then that indicates my ride height is to high and needs to be lowered to lower my center of gravity.

Last edited by TLRNitroBasher; 06-26-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Im very new to this hobby and know nothing about racing. So how do I go about setting up my buggy? What adjusts would I be making? I know i would make Suspension adjustments. But What else is there to adjust? To make my buggy easiest to drive.

Also what behavior from the buggy should i look for that indicates the adjustment I need to make?

For example, when Im driving and I notice my buggy is easily flipping over in turns then that indicates my ride height is to high and needs to be lowered to lower my center of gravity.
Many times, pro's will post there set ups for different tracks. I'm sure losi has a website where set ups are posted. Do a little research and find a track similar to yours and see what the pros are using for set ups. It'll give you a baseline to start with. Also you can ask on the losi thread here on rctech.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I know that the guys I race with use Mike Truhe 2008 IFMAR Worlds as a basic setup. You can find it on TLR website. They all swear by it. When I ran the 2.0 I also used that as a standard.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sschultz View Post
Many times, pro's will post there set ups for different tracks. I'm sure losi has a website where set ups are posted. Do a little research and find a track similar to yours and see what the pros are using for set ups. It'll give you a baseline to start with. Also you can ask on the losi thread here on rctech.
A new guy running a pro's setup will make it worse for him,too much steering, too responsive for a new guy. Better off just running the box setup, get use to the car, read up about setup, practice, try different things when practicing (remember 1 at a time), learn what the changes do to the car. Have a chat to some of the quick guys at the track, ask them what changes help to settle the car.
Theres no quick way to be fast/good at this, learn, practice, learn, practice and then some more lol.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Have a read of these, read them over and over, make changes one at a time learn what the changes do, build up a memory bank of what different setup change do.
Remember setting up your car a lot comes down to weight transfer, forward and aft and side to side, dependant on what your looking for, more steering, less, more rear grip, jump better, handle bumps etc etc.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/61550223/H...ad-Set-Up-Book

http://jq-products.com/the-news/43-t.../160-the-guide
Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Driving slow and not crashing will always be the fastest overall time around the track. Consistency is key!

Other key points..

1) Always make sure your buggy is in tip-top shape before going to the track. Check for bent hingepins, blown bearings, stripped/loose screws, correct ride height, camber and toe angles. As a base, run the recommended "standard" suspension setup per instruction manual at this point minor suspension "tweaks" will not aid much to a beginners steep learning curve.

2) Tires!! Tires!! and more Tires!!! Tires are the #1 tuning aid. You'll need to find out which thread patterns and compounds the local guys are running.

3) Learn how to "read" the race surface, chances are throughout the day you'll change tire types as surface conditions change due to race traffic, some tracks get faster by developing a "race groove", while others may slow down because of ruts and loose dirt. Choose tires wisely!!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Make sure u get in plenty of practice, the saying "practice makes perfect" isn't just a catchy slogan its accualy true
Old 06-27-2013, 01:44 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd View Post
Make sure u get in plenty of practice, the saying "practice makes perfect" isn't just a catchy slogan its accualy true
Try again. Perfect practice makes perfect. You should rarely crash in practice. Only if you are working out a different way to take a section. In which case after if after about 10 tries you should be able to figure out whether or not you can do the section perfect.

Blitzkidd, how old are you, and how long have you been racing?

To the guy that started the thread, there are three things you need to worry about.

1. The right tires. Ask the fast guys which tires work pretty good no matter what the track conditions
2. Make sure your car is in good working order. Go with the kit setup, and make sure your shock and diff fluid stay topped off.
3. Go slow and don't crash. The speed will come, and the less you crash, the more quickly you will start to go faster.

Most everyone on this forum could use a review of these rules. If you can't make tank after tank, at race pace, and not crash, then the latest hop up or more powerful engine is just going to mean your going to crash more, and that your car will be going faster when you crash, which will cause even more broken parts.