Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JQ The car or MBX 7 Mugen seiki

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

Default JQ The car or MBX 7 Mugen seiki

I am getting a headache as I have to choose between those 2cars, I have had Mugen cars since many years my latest is the mbx6 r witch I like but is quite hard to drive fast, but as I need a new car, is it time for a change or continue same path with Mugen.
So I am asking from you guys what do you like in both cars and their ways of reacting on the track.
Please spare the usual "my buddy has this one and blalbla" ,I would like to hear from users of both cars to make my final decision.
Thank you all for any help
Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mxr17
I am getting a headache as I have to choose between those 2cars, I have had Mugen cars since many years my latest is the mbx6 r witch I like but is quite hard to drive fast, but as I need a new car, is it time for a change or continue same path with Mugen.
So I am asking from you guys what do you like in both cars and their ways of reacting on the track.
Please spare the usual "my buddy has this one and blalbla" ,I would like to hear from users of both cars to make my final decision.
Thank you all for any help
Wait until this fall and pick up the new Tekno NB48. Here's a link to that thread.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ght=tekno+nb48
Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GrimReminder
Wait until this fall and pick up the new Tekno NB48. Here's a link to that thread.

So you just did what he asked you not to do.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GrimReminder

Thanks for the input, but I am not at all looking for any other cars than those two I mentioned, availability of parts and support goes into my decision and choices, and tekno is not in any way available here in Finland.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Hoese37
So you just did what he asked you not to do.
Well in fact I forgot to mention that I was not in any way interested in any other brand as for me it was clear (as well as for you ) but maybe I should mention it.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

I have had both and even dough The Car is my favorite when it comes to easy wrenching and general access, I favor the MBX7 due to the handling characteristics. At least for me I am able to push Mugen much harder without getting into trouble. This is also reflected in my lap times.

On a side note, I have only owned and driven the first generation of The Car and the latest one might be a different story....
Old 06-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My son and I have the mbx7, he drives I wrench on it. From what he was driving I can tell you he has improved his times and driving by a landslide. The more he drives it the better the car reacts. Since I don't drive them I get the pleasure of working on them. This buggy is by far the easiest buggy I have had to work on. When I make a small change he can tell the difference right away.
I guess what I would do is the next time you are at a race watch both and talk to the drivers to do a comparison.
Doug
Old 06-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by longrcnitro
My son and I have the mbx7, he drives I wrench on it. From what he was driving I can tell you he has improved his times and driving by a landslide. The more he drives it the better the car reacts. Since I don't drive them I get the pleasure of working on them. This buggy is by far the easiest buggy I have had to work on. When I make a small change he can tell the difference right away.
I guess what I would do is the next time you are at a race watch both and talk to the drivers to do a comparison.
Doug
I have been watching both and this one reason why I narrowed my choice to those two cars, the mbx7 looks like it has tones of grip and handles nicely, the car has that very athletic feel to it, just like some very nervous athletes.
I have also lots of Mugen parts but almost none goes on the x7, so this will not be one my reasons to choose.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have been watching both and this one reason why I narrowed my choice to those two cars, the mbx7 looks like it has tones of grip and handles nicely, the car has that very athletic feel to it, just like some very nervous athletes.
I have also lots of Mugen parts but almost none goes on the x7, so this will not be one my reasons to choose.
The x7 is definately not a nervous car to drive, quiet the opposite, i came from another well known brand which i found nervous to drive and have found the x7 a pleasure to drive, am amazed how hard you can push it yet still be consistent.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

unfortunately I dont own both, but I do have the MBX7. I'll put it quote simply, without any glory or polka dots.... my lap times got better from one weekend to the next by about 1-1.5 secs by just switching cars.... that means same engine, pipe combo, tires, same servos, etc. my previous car was one of the well-known and popular cars out there today, one that many people run and swear by. I felt like I had hit a wall with that vehicle and I was right, the MBX7 instantly made me faster. I now run almost 2 secs a lap faster pace than before... again, this this completely no BS, honest.

The 7 is easy to work on, and more durable than I thought. Ive had some wrecks where I honestly expected the A arm to pop (since this is what Mugens are known for), and it has yet to let me know. It hasnt developed any slop in the suspension/steering and the driveline components have wore out extremely well (very little wear after about 3 gallons through the car).

It soaks up the bumps very well, its very forgiving when landing at a funky angle, it just gets back into shape and lets you push it quicker than any other car I have seen.

Im running mine at about 3,270g RTR (minus fuel) with very few upgrades. Its lightweight and it drives like it. very nimble, easy to point and shoot or drift around. you can really tune it however you want and it will excel at both.

The only thing I have seen that could be better is off-power turn in. sometimes I have to push it a little with the throttle to get it to turn in quicker. Its no big deal, but its about the only gripe I have with the car and something Im still looking to improve with the setup.

As far as the JQ, I can't say anything since Ive never even seen one in person at any track I have ever ran in (not that there arent any around, I just havent popped up on one yet). People do say good things about it here, and JQ is a smart guy, Im sure the car is very good as well.

I hope my overview of the X7 gives you some insight.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks, it does help me a bit, I have hit a wall also with my current mbx6r and the off power steering is also what I miss.
I start to believe that the car might just fit better my nervous driving style from what I have seen on many tracks, even in the hands of JQ himself, it looks so athletic and nimble.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks, it does help me a bit, I have hit a wall also with my current mbx6r and the off power steering is also what I miss.
I start to believe that the car might just fit better my nervous driving style from what I have seen on many tracks, even in the hands of JQ himself, it looks so athletic and nimble.
your best bet is to see if someone will let you drive theirs. We can all tell you anything about each car, but nothing will beat driving one yourself. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitrokiller123
your best bet is to see if someone will let you drive theirs. We can all tell you anything about each car, but nothing will beat driving one yourself. Good luck!
That's a good suggestion, but finding someone willing to let me mess up their car by taking out their receiver and swapping it with mine as I drive a stick radio (old driver i am )
Or even finding someone driving the car in Finland with a stick radio, that's going to be a challenge
Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I have a JQ of the latest version Yellow with the 2013 chassis and I have to say it is very good, I've have raced or driven all the other cars out right at the moment and the JQ is very easy to drive fast, hard or easy it can turn fast laps.
Every change can be felt, other cars you can make huge changes and feel nothing, but this is also a lot to due with the driver each driver is more or less sensitive to changes. Always count on the clock to determine if a change is better or not for sure.
I think that the most impressive thing is that my electric conversion, I race that almost weekly, is now almost 8 months old and finally is getting ready to replace the pins and cups. I've had other cars that needed them replaced in a month!
I have only broken 2 things on either nitro or electric car, 1 steering ball link and a front gear case ( steel pole..indoor racing )

I really don't think that you can go wrong with either car however I really do like the JQ very much for the durability, tuning, and JQ never rests!
I haven't regretted running JQ Products.

My 2 cents,
James
Old 06-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You will not find yourself complaining about off power steering on the JQ, I promise you that....LOL Sorry, I never drove a Mugen just Xray and kyosho before going to JQ. I think you will like the JQ and parts I am sure cost less than the Mugen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.