Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1 main class - do you miss those days? >

1 main class - do you miss those days?

1 main class - do you miss those days?

Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default 1 main class - do you miss those days?

I race in the NorthEast - not sure how the below applies to other regions as the trends may vary....

When I started racing, there were typically some monster trucks, a large volume of 1/8 nitro buggies, and a couple of 1/10 trucks.

Then we went through a great time where club races would easily pull 30-70 nitro buggy entries and racing was really competitive. There were still a heat of monster truck or two and maybe 1/10 truck. Typically always good for 3 rounds of qual. Everyone would bring their A game in nitro buggy and it was really cool to see everyone battling it out even to make the A at club races.

Then we went through a time where it would pretty much be the same as above and also a large qty (say 60-70% of the buggy turn out) of truggys.
That was fun also but the days were LONG even for club races because of the majority of buggy racers also racing truggy.

I just got back into racing and it seems the competition is so spread out now.
Few buggies, few truggy, few electric buggy, few sct 4wd, few sct 2wd.

Just seems the competition is so spread out now I thought it was really cool when there was one HOT class that everyone ran and competition was fierce. I miss those 50+ buggy club races (depending on track was higher too).

What's everyone's thoughts about how the breakdown of classes has changed and competition at club races is lower per class due to the spread of drivers across classes (of course some race multiple but still overall the above applies)?

I'm just planning to hit more big races now! I love that freight train of fast cars flying around the track in a main!!!!

I'm not much of a poster but really curious how people feel about this. I have definitely noticed on race days.

Ro
Old 05-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

when I started 10th scale gas truck was the biggest class.nowdays we have just as many entries but they're spread out over 5 different classes.I miss the good old days when the majority ran the same class.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice topic.
I don't remember those days but I think this might end with a debate
about nitro vs electric, mainly because in those days there was only nitro I think.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have only been n the hobby for 15 years I know there are some guys who may chime in that have been in it much longer. But I have seen solo many things come and go its not funny. But nitro 1/8 scale has always been there I remember when 1/10 scale nitro was huge and I loved it. But I know where your coming from on this topic. The mt class where I'm at used to be huge.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Yea Club racing has died down weekend to weekend for sure this year im noticeing not sure why. Has the compeition died down in the classes yea kind of but 1/8 scale Truggy has more fast guys with tight racing than 4wd SC i would say.

As for the classes i miss running is a field of 10 to 15 2wd SC on big outdoor tracks ! And even though i never ran in the Monster truck class i would love that class to grow again and be constant love to watch them Nitro and Electric !
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

totally agree. I so miss the days when nitro buggy you would always at least have down to a C main. Its plain and simple. Their is just to many classes and we are all suffering from it. I race e buggy and nitro buggy, Used to race truggy but the tires are just stupid expensive. In our region, there should be 2 different series. A nitro series combined with e buggy. And the other the short bus and what ever else. IMO racing is just about dead. I mean look at rctech, the only threads that even move now are the for sale thread. 4 years ago or so the nitro forum would be 2 pages long in a day, Now its down to a half a page or less a day. Its really sad.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ro I remember the days you are talking about, in fact I was just saying the same thing the other day. I think its a combo of people dropping out AND too many classes. Our region is saturated with tracks as well and most don't work with each other. The split of the buggy crowd nitro and electric doesn't help either. Maybe its a shift in the hobby, economy, less interest overall, who knows. It takes us diehards to keep it alive though.

If it makes you feel better, Brian and I will be at the Hut with nitro buggies this weekend.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Well the positive is i have seen some new people at track racing . So i guess the answer is to get some new bloods into it. Is there to many classes i dont think it is i mean usually its just 1/8 Truggy, 1/8 Buggy, E- Buggy , 4x4 SC usually . But heck yea there was like three heats of Nitro Truggy last year more than a few times this year its mixed sometimes one sometimes two heats of them same with 4x4 SC.

This year more people maybe just got into something else could it be the Ecomony this year maybe. You do need to be a hardcore racer to stay in it. Is the PA region have to many tracks close to each other yea if you live within a hour or less of each other sure. Thats why i never see a local offroad outdoor track in my area anytime soon. So i just go to the closest outdoor track not that i have a problem with it at least its a outdoor track to race at .

But than again look at Cali talk about Saturated with tracks !

Tony: Yea ive noticed there has been less people on this forum and more for sale treads some get out of it others just trying to go smaller.

Last edited by tc5 man; 05-29-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Quad City's area

I was not around for the (good old days) I just got in to the rc race game. I gave up dragbike racing to get in to this, it's much cheaper. But I jumped all in nitro buggy m11x RX nova motor you know all the good stuff. I love it and it's catching there are no fewer than 4 of us at my local track that have got in to nitro buggy this year total newbs and we have a blast. I havent even seen a truggy class run yet but e buggy and sc truck and mod truck do ok. Nitro buggy takes the cake around here even on a bad day we will get all most 20 buggys.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Too many classes will always lead to less drivers, maybe not less entries but certainly less drivers.

Anyone who wants some reasonable track time at multi class events need to own more than one type of class car to get that much needed track time.

So all of a sudden one needs to spend double the money or more to be at least a little competitive against the drivers who have four different cars and race multiple classes.

Where did the push for multiple classes come from? Hobby shops and Manufacturers? either way they are certainly cashing in on the trend.

Then there is all the time required to prepare multiple cars for racing, something that is not sustainable if there are partners and children in the drivers family and so they dissappear.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Hum you dont need to run more than one class its not a must if you cant afford it so be it. I been running just one class for a while and run fine with others. Trust me though if i could afford to i would do two classes .

Good thing is with just running one class you can focus more on your setups bad side is waiting inbetween the race rounds if its a large turnout lol.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:39 PM

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default class

I love to see 1/10 nitro truck an revo/ monster truck class come back. I would dump corr 4wd quick!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

There's to many classes, tracks/clubs are trying to cater for everything so they get more people & get more entries which means more money, its not needed & if there were less classes then people who wanted to race would most likely get whats needed to race in the class that suits them.
All thats needed is nitro & electric 1/8 buggy, 1/8 nitro truggy plus some 1/10 classes like electric 4wd sct & buggy, 2wd sct & buggy, probably a stadium truck class as well & if there were enough interest then a maybe couple of nitro 1/10 classes.
In each class there should be a sportsman/rookie class & a pro class.
In electric mainly there is way to many classes, 540, 17.5, 20.5, stock, mod, blinky this, blinky that blah blah blah.
It all needs to be simplified & half the classes cut, a class for every possible car & combination just isn't needed.

Maybe thats why I like 1/8 nitro offroad, buggy or truggy sportsman or pro, not sure what the rookie type class is in the U.S & other countries but here its sportsman/beginner that caters for lower skilled drivers & rtr type buggies, pro for the good fast drivers.

As for the cost, well the big companies are making a killing while all the little people are paying a fortune for an overpriced hobby, some engines priced over $500+, tires costing $30+ for a pair with inserts, no wheels, & some tires don't last very long either, & decent servo's near $100 each, some much more plus batteries & chargers & tools.

I can't remember how many times I have had people come up & ask about nitro buggies & whats involved & about the cost, (higher in Australia), both mothers & fathers asking & thinking it would be good for their kids to do with their dads etc because they seen mine going & thought they were great, but when they hear the cost of getting decent gear they soon change their mind, thats when they go by some cheap piece of #!*^&% crap that gives the hobby a bad name because it breaks easy or won't run properly, then they just give up, to much hassle & to much cost.
Not a huge amount of parents want to spend $1000+ on a toy car for their kids, specially if more than one, then have to buy fuel & other parts so they can go & race every couple of weeks.
People who really like & enjoy the hobby will pay whats needed but that doesn't help get more & new people involved, lower costs would help though & manufacturers would sell more & most likely make more.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

It's just a symptom of modern society, where everyone "is a winner" and nobody finishes 2nd place. For example there's some kids sports where they at lower than a certain age do not count or announce the score, in order to "not offend or upset" the losing kids.

So if you're not a winner in 1/8th buggy, you'll go and compete in another class where there is less competition, just so you can win something etc...
That's what I think about it. Some people reason like that.

Rather than have an ambition to better themselves, and think that "so what if I don't win, I'll give it a go", they just go to another class.

At my local track 1st to 6th spot is always filled up with sponsored drivers, team drivers, so I can pretty much forget about any of those spots, I don't care though, for me 7th = winning, to me. I pay for all my gear.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Well if people that race just for fun like club racing and dont get first place and switch classes i think is just stupid. Yea sure i would like to win but if i get in second or just the top five im fine with that however last no ! Dont get me wrong im competitive with others on the track but i dont take it that seriously.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.