Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Is MP9 STILL SMOOTHEST ON TRACK???? >

Is MP9 STILL SMOOTHEST ON TRACK????

Is MP9 STILL SMOOTHEST ON TRACK????

Old 05-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Is MP9 STILL SMOOTHEST ON TRACK????

Fellas, Just curious....... for those who have driven a few of the "top" BUGGIES with all the new technology and innovative thoughts and parts being designed, Is KYOSHO still the best handling bug on track? Its hard to beleive that old technology is still KING!! What have you driven that has come close? Or has anyone switched from MP to something else and picked up a tenth or 2??
Old 05-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

There are several buggies out there than handle just as well or better than the Kyosho. It all depends on how you want a buggy to react. If you like a car that is pretty aggressive you need the new Losi or the new Mugen. Both of them will turn as tight as you could ever want. If you want a smoother driving car then the XRay and the Kyosho are both great options. The bottom line is, there is no best car. All cars have strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot or just trolling for entertainment.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matthew Bailey View Post
The bottom line is, there is no best car. All cars have strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot or just trolling for entertainment.

Times a million!!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
Times a million!!!!
The MP9 is like cheating...nuff said.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

The cars I recommend, with a clear conscience, to friends are the Kyo, Xray, and Serpent. Those seem to work well everywhere.

But, yes. The Kyo is a good safe bet.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

almost all 2013 cars are excellent now and were improved
many got wider chassis and better weight lay-out, like the Kyosho
so one could say they got smoother too

Last edited by speedy2; 05-10-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Most new cars are trying to copy some form of an MP9. I finally figured why not just buy the kyosho instead trying to buy kyosho parts for another vehicle. The new mugen is resembling the kyosho now too.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver View Post
Fellas, Just curious....... for those who have driven a few of the "top" BUGGIES with all the new technology and innovative thoughts and parts being designed, Is KYOSHO still the best handling bug on track? Its hard to beleive that old technology is still KING!! What have you driven that has come close? Or has anyone switched from MP to something else and picked up a tenth or 2??
Depends on style of driving. I have had tons of different buggies trying to find the best that fit. A combination of all of them that I liked would be the perfect buggy but that's hard to make happen...lol. Top 3 for me....

Most stable for me was Serpent 811 Cobra, handled rough awesome, suspension was awesome and super durable but lacked static low speed steering, which on small indoor tracks sucked.

AE 8.2 is pretty awesome in the steering dept. after some mods, but the suspensions lacks a little, but with enough mods it too can be decent.

Kyosho is awesome buggy and does everything great but lacks droop like the AE which on some of our rough tracks it hurts it and became unstable.

Mugen was a so so buggy for me...handled decent, but front arms were prone to break. Losi sucked for me, Durango was junk...etc.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

don't fool yourselves. for 1/8 scale, the tki3 is the benchmark, everyone else is chasing.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
don't fool yourselves. for 1/8 scale, the tki3 is the benchmark, everyone else is chasing.
idiot or trolling for entertainment?
Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

But is it worth the extra $300+, personally i dont think so.
Dont get me wrong, Koyosho is awesome in there own right but.....

I just went from Xray to Mugen, the difference for me was considerable, biggest standout was how consistant/ easy they were to drive, once you find a setup there very planted.

But like some others have said, most of the brands mentioned are a good choice, it ends up coming down to personal preference, what suits you style, what you feel the most comfortable with in the end.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
The cars I recommend, with a clear conscience, to friends are the Kyo, Xray, and Serpent. Those seem to work well everywhere.

But, yes. The Kyo is a good safe bet.
You forgot mugen
Old 05-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Alexnailey692 View Post
You forgot mugen
Nope. Mugen didn't work for me at all. I traded it for a Techno. So I lost about $200 for trying Mugen to see what the new Mugens are like. Not all cars work for all people. This was a fine example. I don't know a single racer who hasn't tried a popular car, at least once, only to find it didn't work for them at all. It happens.

Many of our tracks have layouts with, say a double single. Often that obstacle ends up being a triple after a couple weeks of racing. Many of our jumps lack proper landing ramps when we start to go for big air.

I couln't get as much pack from the Mugen shocks while maintaining fast rebound speeds. For the same amount of pack, fat/short 16mm shocks have quicker rebound than long/skinny Mugen shocks.

I won't run another car without short\fat 16mm shocks. I just couldn't get any shock setup to work with the Mugens. The stock ECO setup was so bad, people at the track were laughing at it chassis slapping so hard the ground shook. And even the successful Mugen sponsored guys seemed to be struggling more than others, even though they were doing fine.

Blown out small jump track=ok. Big air=nope. In fact Mugen seems to be dieing off in my area. YMMV. I didn't find any decent advice here either for the Mugen like I get with Losi/Xray/Kyosho threads.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Old 05-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matthew Bailey View Post
The bottom line is, there is no best car. All cars have strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot or just trolling for entertainment.
Best answer of reason I heard in a while. Thread should be closed before the fanboi wars start.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service