Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New to forum & Nitro RC.  Help me start off right. >

New to forum & Nitro RC. Help me start off right.

New to forum & Nitro RC. Help me start off right.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to forum & Nitro RC. Help me start off right.

I'm new to the forum and new to nitro RC vehicles. I used to fly electric planes and I currently fly electric helicopters but I have never owned a nitro powered vehicle. I'm into all things engines no matter what it is.

I don't need help picking out a car; I just need help in making sure I have everything I need and know the proper procedures for breaking in a car.

I haven't received it yet but I bought an ofna lx2. It was in my price range (under $300), in stock, and seemed to fit what I will be using it for. My main goal was a car I could have fun with and something I could drive around the local pee wee motorcross track. It looks alot like some RC tracks I've seen.

I bought the RTR and it includes: car, remote, glow starter, and fuel bottle.
I also added some filter oil, nitro fuel, and batteries to the order.

*What else am I going to need? Right now I'm just looking for things I need not things that would be nice to have.

*I'm sure the manual will come with advice on how to break the engine in but does anyone have any extra tips?

Any comment/advice/suggestion is much appreciated.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Almost there, but don't forget to add the ever-important glow-plugs to your order or you won't be able to start the engine! Being RTR engine, it will most probably use standard type glow plugs, but if its a turbo button head engine, must use turbo plugs - the manual should guide you with that

Quick tips without spending too much time (other will chime in i'm sure):

- Give the car a 'once-over' by making sure all screws are tightened/tensioned correctly, being an RTR I would remove the screws that go into metal parts (like engine mounts etc) and put a dab of blue locktite and screw back in, the vibrations from these cars can work screws loose. Don't use red locktite if you want to start stripping screw heads, blue (medium strength) will do the trick

- Check your gear mesh between the clutch bell and centre diff spur to ensure it is meshed correctly; done by loosening engine mount screws at the bottom of the chassis and shifting (left to right across-ways) the whole engine assembly to the desired/correct distance - google how to set mesh with a piece of paper

- Make sure the failsafe on the rx (if it has it) is set-up correctly to prevent run-aways - also hook up a spring or rubber/silicone band around the throttle as a precaution (google nitro failsafe / throttle return spring will show you what I mean)

- assuming its a pull start, pre-heating the engine (with a heat gun or similar) will help the break in process and lessen the chance of snapping the pull start cord if the engine gets stuck because of the 'pinch'; also helps a heaps if you can start the engine from BDC when cold, helps ease the strain on the ripcord

For all useful break in/tuning tips see:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...eak-bible.html

and

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...ing-bible.html

That's all I can think of for a start - if you want to 'tune' the characteristics of how the vehicle drives once you've driven it for a while, pull the diffs out and fill the front/centre/rear diffs with the appropriate silicone oil (manual will probably give you recommendations on this and what starting weights for oils to use). Given that it's an RTR, highly likely that the diffs will just have heavy duty grease inside the diffs.

Hope this helps

Last edited by wombat; 05-08-2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Added proper terms/names!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you may need a starter box. If your car has a pull start then a box and possibly larger flywheel if needed, will prevent frustration when a bad plug or other issue causes hard starting. Run your engine rich or use break in fuel and follow instructions for the first few tanks. Get some spare plugs.
Most of all..find someone with nitro experience to help you tune!
Get a temp gun!!

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would suggest a thermometer, flat screwdriver and maybe a hair-dryer to break in the engine.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all of the comments and tips.

@wombat- I thought the description for my car said includes glow plugs but it just said 1 glow plug so definitly need to pick up some extras. Thanks for the loctite tip and i'll research setting the mesh. Controller does have fail safe. Engine is pull start and I have a heat gun so heating it up a little isnt a problem. Also thanks for those links.

@lpmold- Thanks for the startup tips. I'll see if I can find some break in fuel. Also i'm looking forward to tuning it. I've rebuilt and tuned 2 stroke dirt bikes (rm125 & yz250) so I have a decent understanding of tuning procedures. Just never worked with nitro fuel or on a scale so small. Aghhh temp gun. Ok thanks I'll pick one of those up.

@goszu- checked, checked, and checked.

Thanks again for your tips. I'm pretty excited about getting started. My car should be here either late this week or early next week so i'm pretty pumped. Atleast that gives me time to drive to the hobby store a town over and see if they have what I need.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've got a sunbeam hair dryer to use for heating engines. This one has a HIGH setting that is mucho caliente! Find a friend with engine break-in experience if possible.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a heat gun and a hair dryer. That heat gun gets crazy hot so if i used that it wouldn't be for long.

I'm not too worried about tuning the car. Some 4 stroke dirt bikes I've worked on had a number of variables to adjust (pilot jet, main jet, needle postion, fuel/air screw, etc.).

I'll do lots of research first and make sure I break the engine in right.

I know I already said this but i'm friggin excited to get the car. I already picked out the first place to take it. There is a 1/4 mile x 50 yard area at the local park that has an old section of paved road. It has a light covering of dirt and small rocks over it so I think it will be a good place to take the car to tune it up and get used to it.

After that out to the atv/mx parks and trying out some tracks.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by GaRCman81 View Post
I have a heat gun and a hair dryer. That heat gun gets crazy hot so if i used that it wouldn't be for long.

I'm not too worried about tuning the car. Some 4 stroke dirt bikes I've worked on had a number of variables to adjust (pilot jet, main jet, needle postion, fuel/air screw, etc.).

I'll do lots of research first and make sure I break the engine in right.

I know I already said this but i'm friggin excited to get the car. I already picked out the first place to take it. There is a 1/4 mile x 50 yard area at the local park that has an old section of paved road. It has a light covering of dirt and small rocks over it so I think it will be a good place to take the car to tune it up and get used to it.

After that out to the atv/mx parks and trying out some tracks.
You'll enjoy it man, it's definitely a learning curve (as opposed to plug 'n play electric) but way more satisfying.

re heat gun: you sure it hasn't got an adjustable temp control knob on there? Shoud do I would have thought, doesn't need to be raging hot, but make sure you try and get some heat around the crank-case, not just the head - wrapping the head in alu foil will help retain the heat/keep it more consistent.

Dunno about mx/atv tracks though, the jumps are pretty big and while most modern day cars can take some beating, probably not best launching the things like 10-20 ft into the air off the lip trying to clear doubles, you'll end up bending/breaking things like arms, hinge pins etc

Prob be better off finding a traditional-style BMX track (not like a pump/jump track with sharp/steep inclines and lips - you'll end up back flipping the car a lot), the jumps are more akin to rc off-road tracks - you'll probably find it easier to learn/see how your car travels through the air, then start mastering the art of throttle control through the air (tapping the brakes to level the car out, or get the nose down for a better landing on the other incline side of the jump)

Have fun dude
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your comments man. I appreciate all of your tips.

As far as the mx tracks go I'm going to stick to the pee wee tracks. They are made for 4 & 5 year olds on 3 hp dirt bikes. I think it will be about like a RC track except for alot more straight aways and not as twisty.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

@wombat- I thought the description for my car said includes glow plugs but it just said 1 glow plug so definitly need to pick up some extras.
Try and pick up a few (like a 4 or 6 pack of plugs), as generally the plug gets pretty much fouled after break-in due to the rich fuel mixture. I usually replace the plug with a fresh one after break-in so that you don't encounter stalling/troubles tuning when you start to bring the engine to a 'race'/proper tune. Dunno what plugs are recommended for these, but try going for a hotter plug as it will make tuning much less of a hassle (albeit at the expense of some HP compared to a colder plug) - ambient temps also play a role in plug selection

Re Temp Guns (my take on it anyway) - useful primarily at break-in and during early stages of tuning, but as most people can attest, when tuning, aim for drive feel/acceleration and more so smoke trail, rather than be heavily reliant upon the temp - you want a nice light wisp of smoke once tuned, not billowing blue puffs - but I guess your pretty clued in on the whole tuning thing!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for your comments man. I appreciate all of your tips.

As far as the mx tracks go I'm going to stick to the pee wee tracks. They are made for 4 & 5 year olds on 3 hp dirt bikes. I think it will be about like a RC track except for alot more straight aways and not as twisty.
That sounds like the ticket, enjoy!