Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
another servo in paradise >

another servo in paradise

another servo in paradise

Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Default another servo in paradise

is it me or the quality of so called high end servos are getting worst, some 15 years ago I would purchase a futaba servo and keep it for at least 3 seasons, but now they will hardly last one.
Yesterday my so called high end futaba high voltage joined the other ones in the heaven of servos, it was only used as a gaz/brake and should have been able to easily stand that, already last year I had it replaced under warranty after one week of use, and yesterday it started going crazy accelerating for no reason.
Went to my lhs and replaced it with a ko propo response full aluminum like the one I have in the steering, at least those seems to last and are not made in China....
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

are you setting the EPA?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ovaloldtimer View Post
are you setting the EPA?
Of course, after a little over 20 years of rc I have that one right, I am pretty sure
Old 05-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxr17 View Post
Of course, after a little over 20 years of rc I have that one right, I am pretty sure
Cars now are going twice as fast and jumping 4x the distances. Something has to give!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Haven't had a single failure since I switched to all Hitec 79XX's. Worth every penny. I even run them in 1/10th scale and airplanes. All my servo savers are set as tight as possible.

Yet people still run Fut, At, Svx, Jr, servos. Servos aren't easy engineering. Not every radio company is going to have good luck with them.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Haven't had one servo lost in 3 years(knock on wood)running savox 1267 and 1268 in nitro buggy or truggy on steaight lipo.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Only thing I have never killed is airtronics servos. They have always been replaced just because the drive train got sloppy after 3 seasons or so. every other brad has failed on me at one point or the other. Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, Savox. They have all been about the same. 1 season max. Spektrum was the latest to fail. I tried the 6090s in my buggy and they failed after about 3 months. Both of them the electronics developed a stutter. They would just randomly stop working. Futaba was broken gears. Hitec was electronic failure, and Savox burnt up the motors. The Airtronics are never fastest or strongest, but they definitely last the longest.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Model #'s are going to be important here.

My Airtronics "Rockcrusher" didn't last long at all. AIR94361Z
Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxr17 View Post
is it me or the quality of so called high end servos are getting worst, some 15 years ago I would purchase a futaba servo and keep it for at least 3 seasons, but now they will hardly last one.
Yesterday my so called high end futaba high voltage joined the other ones in the heaven of servos, it was only used as a gaz/brake and should have been able to easily stand that, already last year I had it replaced under warranty after one week of use, and yesterday it started going crazy accelerating for no reason.
Went to my lhs and replaced it with a ko propo response full aluminum like the one I have in the steering, at least those seems to last and are not made in China....
I have discussed this locally and believe me when I say you are not alone.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

I am only running hitec 7955tg servos and I have never damaged one. several of them are on the 4th seaon now. just food for thought
Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

I have 9 savoz servos, for of which was raced in my buggy and truggy for the last 2 years. This is my 3rd year with these servos and they still work flawlessly.

Now I will say, Ive been playing with RC cars since I was 9 Years old (Tamayia Thundershot) Ive been through alot of cars and lots of servos. When I moved to CO at age 30, I got into 8th scale off-road. I lost all kinds of servos. JR 9811, Hitec, Futuba, Ace. I just burnt them up. Since them and countless questions to the Local Losi Drivers, I got tips and pointers to help me out.

EPA, Smooth Linkage and a solid radio tray will help out alot. Make sure the servos are off the chassis and dont have room to slap the chassis in case of Chassis flex. What futuba servo did you burn up. I ask because, just because its a HV servo dont make it the best choice for the application. Make sure the brakes are not to strong.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

recently went thru the same,had a hitec that went bad on me and replaced it with a savox 1268 now heres where it gets dumb,i dropped in the new one plugged everything in turned it on and my other savox spins all the way one way and starts shooting smoke out the bottom?didnt even touch that servo unplug it or anything,what caused this? is this from having two savox together? both are high voltage and running a new lipo pack
Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I will run nothing but Hitech for the simple fact that you can buy it once and if it fails it is repaired or replaced for free for pretty much as long as you own it. If money was no object I would try the KO 30101's though but Im just not serious enough about racing to drop over $300 on 2 servo's.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Throttle Servos can often touch the chassis and on some cars you have to shim them up to 5mm. If you don't they will die a lot quicker. Are there signs that it touched the chassis or side guards? Marks on the servo or chassis/sideguards?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobinCH View Post
Throttle Servos can often touch the chassis and on some cars you have to shim them up to 5mm. If you don't they will die a lot quicker. Are there signs that it touched the chassis or side guards? Marks on the servo or chassis/sideguards?
no in fact when i replaced the one the tray was out of the truck (losi 8t 2.0 with gen 3 tray)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.