Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
6MIK buggy tires - Official Thread >

6MIK buggy tires - Official Thread

6MIK buggy tires - Official Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:01 AM
  #1  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default 6MIK buggy tires - Official Thread











R&D is still possible in the RC industry.. I almost never hear about them on rctech but they're well known in Europe

They even give an explanation how they designed their tires, here is the example with the Bandit:





I made this thread so you can give your feedback

Last edited by Pulse_; 05-02-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 AM
  #2  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (16)
 
McD44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 785
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Very interesting tread designs. I'd love to test some out on their intended surfaces.
McD44 is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
  #3  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (52)
 
Jaz240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,494
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Cool designs
Jaz240 is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
  #4  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

I like them too, they look far more advanced compared to AKA and Proline treads but that's just my opinion.

Sebastien Leonard would like to sell them in the US but he's affraid american drivers would buy american brands only. What do you think? Would you be interested in testing some if you could buy them? They are a little cheaper than AKA, Proline etc and come premounted or tyre only or tyre + insert. It's your choice


Last edited by Pulse_; 05-03-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (42)
 
aloksatoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N California
Posts: 3,099
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

The reason drivers here buy the tires made here is because of the compounds mostly. They test and retest tires on soil/surfaces prepped on which we drive on as well (jconcepts in Florida, proline and I think AKA in california). If they work as well as the local brands and are cheaper I see no issues selling them in massive amounts here as well.

For e.g. I gave sweep racing tires (korean) a shot in here but so far they are not that much better or are even worse for some conditions compared to aka or proline or jconcepts rubber. They are a bit cheaper but you still gotta wait for it to arrive than buying at LHS.
aloksatoor is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 PM
  #6  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (31)
 
wombat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 955
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
Sebastien Leonard would like to sell them in the US but he's affraid american drivers would buy american brands only. What do you think? Would you be interested in testing some if you could buy them? They are a little cheaper than AKA, Proline etc and come premounted
Just my take on this:

The main problem I think they will encounter (not just in the US market but globally in general) is trying to get in on some market share given the vast range/choice of tires that have flooded the market from various manufacturers. They would have to probably hook-up/sponsor a reasonably decent well known driver if they want any chance to succeed.

Take a look at Alpha Racing Tires (a European company - French I think) for example, they didn't last very long on the US market at all with it shutting up shop within a year or two of entering the US (the distributor - not the company). They made decent tyres and wheels (pre-mounts) but just never took off - left-over stock has been flogged off on ebay ever since.

Not to sound pessimistic, and I do wish the company good luck in their endeavours, but it really is a case of just re-hashing something that is already out there for the masses to purchase - it'll be a tough gig in what has to be the toughest market segment to crack into (buggy tire market) given the amount of companies offering this sort of thing.

I would have thought, for a start, that they should get rid of the slotted dish wheel and go for a more traditional closed dish wheel for the US (and other) markets - you rarely see anyone run slotted/spoked rims anymore (aas opposed to say 5-7 years ago) even in Europe (where they tended to run this style of wheel more)
wombat is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 05:33 PM
  #7  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (52)
 
Jaz240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,494
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

I own a hobby shop and am building a massive OFF Road Web store. I would be interested in trying a few sets and give them to my team guys to test. If they say Go I would be interested in bringing them in in bulk. If they are selling at the same price as AKA, proline and JC they will die a slow painful death. The people behind them have to be willing to offer them up at better pricing to get them out on the market. Once they are proven and winning they could look into price increases.
Jaz240 is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 PM
  #8  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 173
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

almost everyone that actually pays for tires, reuses wheels and foams to some degree due to the hight cost of pre mounted tires.
Secret to break in to the U.S market or increasing the market share is to offer tires only not pre-mounts. If you sell these tires or any other tire for around 10 dollars per pair it will sell.
That is the reason why I almost exclusively run AKA.

Of course this is my opinion only...
Norbert50p is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 AM
  #9  
Tech Initiate
 
icbuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: toowoomba australia
Posts: 22
Default

6MIK tyres are available as tyre only, tyre and insert, tyre insert and rim (unglued), and tyre insert and rim (preglued). Most patterns available in 4 compounds. Inserts available in 2 styles, and rims available in 6 colors (white yellow green coral(pinky color) black and silver.
icbuggy is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 AM
  #10  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

I really appreciate your feedback. I had a discussion with the owner of 6MIK and there are good chances he will post here to tell us more about the company.

6MIK is looking for contacts on the US market so if you know someone that could be interested in the products don't hesitate -we never know-

It's a brand that is very close to its clients and explains every choice they make so they deserve some support. And I'm saying that for free, no sponsorship whatsoever I just like their innovative spirit
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM
  #11  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Imbue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fairhope, AL
Posts: 460
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
I really appreciate your feedback. I had a discussion with the owner of 6MIK and there are good chances he will post here to tell us more about the company.

6MIK is looking for contacts on the US market so if you know someone that could be interested in the products don't hesitate -we never know-

It's a brand that is very close to its clients and explains every choice they make so they deserve some support. And I'm saying that for free, no sponsorship whatsoever I just like their innovative spirit
They're watching this thread for sure. I'm sure one of the guys from the 6MIK crew will post sooner than later.

Originally Posted by Norbert50p View Post
almost everyone that actually pays for tires, reuses wheels and foams to some degree due to the hight cost of pre mounted tires.
Secret to break in to the U.S market or increasing the market share is to offer tires only not pre-mounts. If you sell these tires or any other tire for around 10 dollars per pair it will sell.
That is the reason why I almost exclusively run AKA.

Of course this is my opinion only...
As icbuggy posted, they're available in a ton of combinations. Our first batch will be strictly preglued wheels. This way everyone will have some Fusion rims for them to remount if they so choose in the future. But we'll definitely work up to a full stock of all of 6MIK's products.

Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
The reason drivers here buy the tires made here is because of the compounds mostly. They test and retest tires on soil/surfaces prepped on which we drive on as well (jconcepts in Florida, proline and I think AKA in california). If they work as well as the local brands and are cheaper I see no issues selling them in massive amounts here as well.

For e.g. I gave sweep racing tires (korean) a shot in here but so far they are not that much better or are even worse for some conditions compared to aka or proline or jconcepts rubber. They are a bit cheaper but you still gotta wait for it to arrive than buying at LHS.
If you want your LHS to carry the off-brands, you need to request that they carry those products. Most LHS are going to generically stock their shelves with name-brand products or products they like. If they have enough people asking for a certain off-brand product, you can bet they'll stock that product.

As far as compounds, it's always been my opinion that the lack of innovation in the tire market has caused tire companies to rely way too heavily on ultra soft and sticky compounds to produce the actual grip. I think 6MIK has nailed their tread designs, and the compounds and treads compliment each other well and produce a reliable, long wearing tire. That said, 6MIK isn't one of the "take-it-or-leave-it" type of companies, and genuinely want to make a better product. If that means tweaking or producing something to suit the American market, I know they will.

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
I like them too, they look far more advanced compared to AKA and Proline treads but that's just my opinion.

Sebastien Leonard would like to sell them in the US but he's affraid american drivers would buy american brands only. What do you think? Would you be interested in testing some if you could buy them? They are a little cheaper than AKA, Proline etc and come premounted or tyre only or tyre + insert. It's your choice
I do think he has a right to be wary, but I also think what 6MIK has going for them is will outshine the rest, and people will be excited and proud to run these tires.
Imbue is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 PM
  #12  
Suspended
iTrader: (440)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 10,180
Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)
Default

I love new takes on tires. I welcome them and hope they get a good US importer and they do well here. I would love to try each tread pattern.
MattP is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:26 PM
  #13  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Imbue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fairhope, AL
Posts: 460
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wombat View Post
Just my take on this:

The main problem I think they will encounter (not just in the US market but globally in general) is trying to get in on some market share given the vast range/choice of tires that have flooded the market from various manufacturers. They would have to probably hook-up/sponsor a reasonably decent well known driver if they want any chance to succeed.
Despite there being a vast majority of tires out they're, they're almost all exclusively block pattern treads, and are variants of each other. I think there's a gap in tread design that 6MIK will fill nicely. In terms of hooking up with a well known driver, we're always pursuing top level racers, as well as grassroots racers.

Take a look at Alpha Racing Tires (a European company - French I think) for example, they didn't last very long on the US market at all with it shutting up shop within a year or two of entering the US (the distributor - not the company). They made decent tyres and wheels (pre-mounts) but just never took off - left-over stock has been flogged off on ebay ever since.
Without actually working for ART's distributor, it's hard to know why they folded. To try and peg a reason why, would be nothing more than pure speculation. In my mind, it's hard to equate ART's scenario with ours.

Not to sound pessimistic, and I do wish the company good luck in their endeavours, but it really is a case of just re-hashing something that is already out there for the masses to purchase - it'll be a tough gig in what has to be the toughest market segment to crack into (buggy tire market) given the amount of companies offering this sort of thing.
Is it really rehashing though? I could imagine applying that term if the tires were simply block treads.

I would have thought, for a start, that they should get rid of the slotted dish wheel and go for a more traditional closed dish wheel for the US (and other) markets - you rarely see anyone run slotted/spoked rims anymore (aas opposed to say 5-7 years ago) even in Europe (where they tended to run this style of wheel more)
The slotted and spoked rims of yesteryear are gone. 6MIK's Fusion lineup of rims are something completely different. In a sea of boring dish rims, it's nice to see something unique. I do suspect there are some benefits with 6MIK's slotted design however, notably being better in the rough, while still maintaining a sturdy and consistent rim.
Up.
Imbue is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:57 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (46)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: gowrie, iowa
Posts: 2,215
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default

i would like a set of bandits to give a try. where can i buy a set? i am having a hard time finding them for sale anywhere.
nitroal is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 PM
  #15  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Imbue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fairhope, AL
Posts: 460
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I'm hoping we'll have some in within next week or two.
Imbue is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.