Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
O.S. .21TM smoke and sometimes no smoke? >

O.S. .21TM smoke and sometimes no smoke?

O.S. .21TM smoke and sometimes no smoke?

Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default O.S. .21TM smoke and sometimes no smoke?

Hey guys, new to the forum been doing RC including nitro for 9 years. My dad just bought me a O.S. .21tm for the revo. I installed it correctly. I did the break in per O.S. I have about half a gallon in it now. I live in Indiana and we had a few weeks of rain so I decided lets take it off and "seal" the motor like everyone recommends so I have no tuning headaches later down the road. I used a gasket material that a youtube TLR guy demonstrated. I did it his way. I used it for the backplate, and ez start plate and carb neck. I then used the team associated green goo for the carb needles. We finally got some good weather. I went out to show it off to my dad. I reset it to factory setting cause of a possible air leak and would re tune. The thing kept dying, it would get hot, I richen it up and would bog down. Well I ripped a exhaust boot and thought that was my problem. I replaced it and tried again and same deal. I was reaching 300 and of course shutting it off. I am used the LC3 plug that is new, Odonnel %30 speed blend which I have had great luck with. The top of the piston and sleeve still have a pinch. I made sure tank has no leaks. Lines are new. Fuel Filter is new. The piston looks nice and shiny still. I am stumped guys. I will answer any questions. I am just plain stumped and I dont know anyone around here good with tuning nitro around here and dont trust a hour away LHS. I almost forgot to mention like the subject. I noticed I will give it full throttle, I will have a great smoke line, then other times There is nothing coming out. I have never seen a nitro do this. I have had a 3.3 and a picco .26 and this thing has baffled. The smoke is very thick due to richness fighting the heat and then like nothing at all on full speed runs. Thanks for reading and please help. I am bout ready to put 3.3 back on!, went with O.S. cause dad has a airboat that is 30 plus years old nitro and we got it running and it ran great!

Thanks!

Kyle
Old 05-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Did you add an extra shim for the 30%? That motor I have installed and tuned at the hobby shop I work at and we run it with 20% Byron's rtr blend. If you are running it with 30% it will constantly over heat if you don't shim it correctly. Also all the motors I own and race with I have never had to open up and seal with rtv. Just replace the bad o ring if necessary and just use some after run oil to lube the o ring before installing.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Tech Rookie

I did not add another shim. I guess I need some education on that. I ran the 3.3 and picco on 30 without ever shimming. So I guess just add another o.s. shim. Is there different thicknesses? I have read these motor run hot anyway. What have you seen as far as temps on this motor? I guess also if you could recommend shim size and anything else possibly different plug if needed. Wanting to get this thing going. I also have never messed with the mixture strength needle on the 11k carb. Should I?

Last edited by AxialHD; 05-01-2013 at 07:06 PM.