Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
ECX Revenge opinions? >

ECX Revenge opinions?

ECX Revenge opinions?

Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ECX Revenge opinions?

So after doing a lot of googling and being unable to find any useful non-biased info on this platform I was hoping someone here would have one. I am thinking of venturing into the 1/8 Nitro buggy racing and am looking for my first Nitro. I raced 2wd mod short course last year and enjoyed it but am looking for the next challenge. Our local store provides support for a few but this is the one that has somewhat caught my attention but I want to make sure I am not throwing away my money. My basic requirements are

1. Nitro Buggy
2. Durable (my associated sc10 has been a pain in the wallet)
3. Competitive
Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 AM
Tech Champion

In the offroad electric part on this forum there is a small topic about the Revenge-E

I have one E-version over here for a review and I am positive suprised about the car, the design, the building and the chosen electronics fits all together very well. And the car does perform very well.

The only thing I do not like the the weakness of the body posts, they are fragile but the broken one I could fix by drilling a 1.5mm into it and screwed a M2 bolt through it.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Revenge-E

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
In the offroad electric part on this forum there is a small topic about the Revenge-E

I have one E-version over here for a review and I am positive suprised about the car, the design, the building and the chosen electronics fits all together very well. And the car does perform very well.

The only thing I do not like the the weakness of the body posts, they are fragile but the broken one I could fix by drilling a 1.5mm into it and screwed a M2 bolt through it.
Great running buggy, Ive had mine for bout a month now (revenge-e)and it is a nice well built buggy, super fast and with only 3s pack. I havent had any body post to break yet and it has been flipped and rammed quite a few times, the only thing that happened was my battery tray cracked which is no biggy. the stock tires are very good as i tested them at the track we race and i was shocked at how well they did grip wise.Had a brand new pack of City Blocks i purchased 20 min. before i got to track and didnt even need them. As for any hop ups ive done, i put a Savox servo/allum. arm on and went to 35wt/rear and kept the 40wt/frt shock oil with a Fuse motor fan(which runs good around 116/122 degrees). So far i really like what the guys at ECX/Horizon Hobby have done with their time to get their vehicles worth buying as we also been racing the Torment sct for almost a year now.

Last edited by hunt2010; 04-30-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typeo
Old 04-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To me it looks like a redcat, more than likely ultra mass produced
I woild check parts availability first, and then read some reviews by an unbiased party like neo buggy, if its never reviewed on one of these types of magazines then I would look into something else mainline
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Reviews

Originally Posted by Ovaloldtimer View Post
To me it looks like a redcat, more than likely ultra mass produced
I woild check parts availability first, and then read some reviews by an unbiased party like neo buggy, if its never reviewed on one of these types of magazines then I would look into something else mainline
Trust me,before i purchase any kind of rc i will first check 1.parts available 2.Reviews 3. Then my own personal opinion. The reviews on the Revenge were all good ones from RC Driver mag, Big Squid RC,Losi,and countless consumers so i narrowed it down to three different buggies i could have went with and ended up with the Revenge(plus it just looks good). I think the best thing about it is, its so easy to work on plus the price is great. The car and 3s battery runs about 500 bucks for both. Im a big fan of AE and still race my sct 2wd and 4wd, I raced the Ecx boost for a while and it did a great job getting 2nd place against other associated and losi buggies, after that bought a Torment and still running strong in races, so i figure why not give their 8 scale buggy a try. The problems i have with their vehicles are no different than any other car/truck i ever owned, just replace the part with stock or hop up and keep rolling.Their are plenty of parts available for all of the Ecx rides w/ upgrades and great customer service.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hunt2010 View Post
Trust me,before i purchase any kind of rc i will first check 1.parts available 2.Reviews 3. Then my own personal opinion. The reviews on the Revenge were all good ones from RC Driver mag, Big Squid RC,Losi,and countless consumers so i narrowed it down to three different buggies i could have went with and ended up with the Revenge(plus it just looks good). I think the best thing about it is, its so easy to work on plus the price is great. The car and 3s battery runs about 500 bucks for both. Im a big fan of AE and still race my sct 2wd and 4wd, I raced the Ecx boost for a while and it did a great job getting 2nd place against other associated and losi buggies, after that bought a Torment and still running strong in races, so i figure why not give their 8 scale buggy a try. The problems i have with their vehicles are no different than any other car/truck i ever owned, just replace the part with stock or hop up and keep rolling.Their are plenty of parts available for all of the Ecx rides w/ upgrades and great customer service.
Check Neo's review of the car, the one's you mentioned Horizon is a large advertiser, so from those mag's you listed, you wont get an unbiased review because of $$$$
Good entry level car nothing more
Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 AM
Tech Champion

Check Neo's review of the car, the one's you mentioned Horizon is a large advertiser, so from those mag's you listed, you wont get an unbiased review because of $$$$
Good entry level car nothing more
Did you ever run the car or even hold the Revenge in your hands?
It seems that in your opinion any RTR car backed by a large advertiser can not be any good.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Tech Regular

It seems that in your opinion any RTR car backed by a large advertiser can not be any good.
Yeah, dedicated racers are just flocking to this thread to give an opinion.(That should tell you one thing)
I have looked the car over very well, and it still looks like a Redcat product, non threaded shock bodies cheap shocks all together, cheap turnbuckles, cheap out drives, cheap diecast steering knuckles, non sealed diff housings, cheap plastic hub carriers, like I said good entry level car where you'll spend another 2-300 on hop ups why not go ahead and buy something more main stream?

Also I'm involved in the motorsports world and trust me, when your largest PAID advertiser hands you something to do a review on what are you going to say?
RC driver graded most of the car a C? really
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Default ...

I agree, seems like that what hes trying to say, nobody flocked to ae or losi when they first came out either, it took time.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

The biggest thing for me guys is the durability factor. My sc10 has been a garbage dump for the most part. When it runs good it is practically unbeatable but it seems I spend more money fixing the damn thing then running it. Basically was just hoping someone has actually raced this and knows some of the characterisitics
Old 05-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

I agree, seems like that what hes trying to say, nobody flocked to ae or losi when they first came out either, it took time.
Your kidding right? when AE launched there 1/10 scale pan cars people flocked to them
When they released the RC10 everyone bought one.
When losi came out with JRX2 and the JRXT is set the dirt off road on its head, and everyone had to have them.
I started racing RC in 1987 and havent left, I know cheap junk when I see it, read the reviews from some other forums, here is one racers experience from this site, its in the Electric offroad section, but its buried many pages back

My buddy got one of these to run with my rc8.2e . Broken parts= c hub, caster block, front outdrive (wheelside) front upper arm, front c hub. Upgrade to cvds, alum caster blocks, alum rear c hubs. Car is pretty fast but the handling just isn't there. The type of plastic used is inferior to more expensive buggies. I think its a decent value and has some potential just don't overjump and don't hit anything and you should be ok. 1/8 scale is definitely a ton of fun.

From this post above, seems I was dead on, buy the car then spend that amount again repairing/replacing inferior parts, and when your done he would of spent as much as a good quality buggy, buying something then throwing money at it and then still find out it lacking is just wasting money is it not?

Like I said cheap entry level car and IMO the op would be better suited to save his money a little longer and buy a better buggy
Old 05-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Delta_Ice View Post
The biggest thing for me guys is the durability factor. My sc10 has been a garbage dump for the most part. When it runs good it is practically unbeatable but it seems I spend more money fixing the damn thing then running it. Basically was just hoping someone has actually raced this and knows some of the characterisitics
This is what sucks with todays RC market, companies see a trend going one way (your SC for example) they rush to get a product to get a piece of the pie and dont take the time to properly R&D the product, they let the consumer waste there money to do the R&D and then after 5 or six months of hearing complaints they fix the problem
IMO buy something else or you will have the same problem
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Default ....

Originally Posted by Delta_Ice View Post
i know exactly what your talking about, i am a AE fan and still race their sct 2wd and 4wd. when i first got my 2wd it drove me crazy trying to keep the thing in a race, it was just one thing after another and i told myself thats it, im selling this shit, but after working with it and getting upgraded parts its back to racing again and its finally doing a decent job. my AE sct 4wd, i never had a problem with yet and took 2nd place at last race. As for the Revenge E, i just got from the track to finish some tuning on it. Im gonna say it again, this buggy is a mean machine. we ran a freindly race (my buddy w/ 1/8 associated e buggy) and the revenge ran strong and didnt flinch, kept up and past him a lot.. im running 3s and he was 4s. he also past me a few times.the revenge didnt break anything, after hitting each other a couple of times and i tumbled it about six times off a jump, flipped it over and off she went with no problems. im going to be buying more parts for this buggy as i see it being worth it because i really do like it. if you get it and dont like it just do what i do ....sell it... but i think you will like it weather you break parts or not, thats what all of them do, thats why their called Hobby Grade!!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default ....

This is what sucks with todays RC market, companies see a trend going one way (your SC for example) they rush to get a product to get a piece of the pie and dont take the time to properly R&D the product, they let the consumer waste there money to do the R&D and then after 5 or six months of hearing complaints they fix the problem
IMO buy something else or you will have the same problem

DO WHAT???? you need to do some more searching and quit hating.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

DO WHAT???? you need to do some more searching and quit hating.
Like I said I started racing in RC oval in 1987 where was you?
I have raced every type of RC that is to be had, I work for a company that sells Kart racing chassis
www.wardkarting.com

Search for what?

Keep talking to make yourself feel better about the POS you bought, and by the time you get everything replaced you could of bought the best of the best

Seems to me im not the only one to think this, maybe get your head out of the sand

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...n-drivers.html

And what do you know Horizon at the top of the rip off thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.