Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Journey to the center of the diff: veteran maintenance rates >

Journey to the center of the diff: veteran maintenance rates

Journey to the center of the diff: veteran maintenance rates

Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Journey to the center of the diff: veteran maintenance rates

Recently decided to fully disassemble my RTR 1/8 nitro buggy for the first time.

I figured it would take a night to tear down and a couple nights to clean, service and rebuild. Lol, two weeks later Iím still cleaning, breaking down and just trying to organize all the parts! Not to mention waiting for new parts to arrive.

I was hoping people could post below how long it takes them to break down their car into ALL its individual parts, service it and build it up again (including engine and diffs)Ö just so I know exactly how slow I am!

Also, any tips on how to break-down your car, organize the process and speed it up would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

a day.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

1 night. buy a air compressor and a spray bottle of simply green to speed up the cleaning process. also wd40 and a bottle of rubbing alcohol in a spray container is a lot cheaper than your hobby grade cleaners.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Just divide it in 3 parts. Front clip, center, and rear clip.

Pull off the front clip, clean it, and by clean I mean

Brush
Air compressor
Trakpower speedwash
Air compressor
Pledge
Air compressor

Redo your shock fluids, check for worn/bent shafts, rebuild if needed.
Check your hub/diff bearings. Replace if slightly gritty feeling
Change front diff fluid. Dump all the gears in a tiny bowl of motor spray, clean/dry then off, reassemble.

Repeat process for rear clip.

For the center, pull your radio tray and engine. Clean the chassis. Replace clutch bell bearings, shoes, etc if needed. Especially the bearings. Change those every race day and before every main. Redo center diff fluids.

That should about cover it. You will get faster and faster as u learn the car.

Oh yeah...and dont overtighten stuff and rush. No sense in dealing with stripped screws and having to do stuff more than once.

Thats my process in terms of a race prep. Takes about 4 hours if im not in a rush. Longer if I am changing plastics/parts.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Breaking down and cleaning and reassembling a car shouldn't take more than a day. A rtr car is a bit harder because you didn't build it. As you tear apart just take note of what goes where. When I tear my cars apart, I pick a different part of the table for each component, put all the bolts and such with each components and then just reverse the process as you are rebuilding. The longer you drag out the process, the harder it will be to put it all back together correctly as memory diminishes over time
Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Zachfeen View Post
Breaking down and cleaning and reassembling a car shouldn't take more than a day. A rtr car is a bit harder because you didn't build it. As you tear apart just take note of what goes where. When I tear my cars apart, I pick a different part of the table for each component, put all the bolts and such with each components and then just reverse the process as you are rebuilding. The longer you drag out the process, the harder it will be to put it all back together correctly as memory diminishes over time
^^this

And dont take apart more than you can wrap your head around at once. Otherwise you will have left over screws/washers and no idea what goes where. Just do one thing at a time...shocks....diffs, so on and so forth.

Get a manual too to play it safe.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It takes me about 2 days to do it all correctly but I can rebuild in a night get good tools know your car organize the different parts in piles! Take time where it's needed it is better to build to slow than to fast!! Spend time on shocks, diffs and shimming parts correctly! Wash all plastic in a bin at once to speed up time!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

On my Losi, to tear it down and rebuild completely takes me about 10 hours. Two nights after work.

Just to clean and check, about 4-5 hours.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Of course it really depends if the last race was muddy or not, but normally I do mine in about 8-10 hours. If it was muddy it can take up to 20 hours.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Tech Initiate

ok, so I need to work on my speed lol!

I have noticed I'm about 30 times faster at servicing stuff I've repeated a bunch like shocks and hubs ect. Just goes slow when you open up a diff for the first time and your like "WTF is this"?

Like anything, it takes practice.

Are there any build races at events? Like in the army how they time your rifle assembly time (at least in Forest Gump...never been in the army)
Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It takes me @ 4 hours to have my buggy stripped down, cleaned, checked, serviced, and back together rolling minus motor and electronics. It just all depends on how deep you go with the job and how familiar you are with things. Once you do this a couple times, you'll be able to fly thru it nothing flat!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I recommend any new guy to research "pit tips" too.

Its always my favorite part in the rc car mags and they have a book compiled of all the best ones.

Just little things that help like "using an empty egg carton for easy screw storage" when you break down your car.

For me it takes one day to clean my car. If Im doing all the fluids I take an extra day. I usually service the fluids after the second race day. They could last much longer in my opinion but hey I enjoy it.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token View Post
On my Losi, to tear it down and rebuild completely takes me about 10 hours. Two nights after work.

Just to clean and check, about 4-5 hours.
+1 about the same here!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Asking for a time frame of a "full rebuild" is impossible, because everyones idea of a full rebuild is completely different.

My idea of a full rebuild includes full shock rebuild - including repolishing the shock shafts, tearing all the CVD's apart for thorough cleanse and rebuild, pushing in new driveshaft pins, pulling each and every bearing for inspection, pulling hinge pins out of the arms to clean dust out, etc.

A "full rebuild" takes me at least 15hrs.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Don't organize your screws! Rookie mistake.

Ex.: Pull your front end, put the screws back in the bottom of the gear case finger tight that way you know exactly where the screws go, because they're allready there.

When I pull my diff cover, I put my diff cover screws back in the tower/gearbox so they don't get misplaced.

I can strip my car, pull my drives and grease them, redo my diffs in about 4 hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.