R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Losi lst xxl (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/724053-losi-lst-xxl.html)

Highclod02 04-21-2013 06:25 PM

Losi lst xxl

Hi everyone I just recently purchased the losi lst xxl. I'm just getting back into Rc again. Just was wondering what's the correct way to break in the nitro engine. I know everyone has a different opinion justwwanted to hear some ideas on how to properly break in the engine correctly. Also what other painted bodies would fit and where can I purchase them also. And I was wondering what upgrades should I do first if any that is necessary. What hop up parts is good or things that I could do to the truck. Any ideas and opinions would be greatly appreciated thank you

Herrsavage 04-21-2013 09:47 PM

Hopups:

1.) Dynamite engine brace (a must)
2.) New Era Rollbar (highly recommendable)
3.) RC Raven shock springs
4.) Wing kit

Bodies: Proline MGT/Savage XL bodies. Don't know of any pre-painted ones.

Break-in:

1.) Take glow-plug out. Look down in hole. Rotate flywheel to point where piston is at absolute bottom position. With piston at BDC(Bottom Dead Center), scratch a notch in your flywheel at 12:00. Put plug back in.
2.) Wrap head in alu foil and an old sock. Prop a hairdrier (at a slight angle, so air can get out) on head, pointing down at plug. You need a temp gun - and want the temp at the glow plug to reach 200F before starting.
3.) Start the engine. Put the truck on the ground, and vvveeerrryyyy slowly drive it around in big figure-8's - not twitchy throttle inputs, just slow pulls back and forth. No more than 1/3 throttle. Go easy. Depending on where you live and what the outside temp is - take off sock and alu foil. You want the engine to be at 200-225F. Once it's at that temp for a 3-4 minutes, I shut down the engine.
4.) Rotate flywheel to 12:00(BDC). You can do this by pulling the pullstart lightly(the ONLY thing I use the pullstart for.. Try to start it with a Losi Spin-start. FAR more reliable...) Let cool completely. Play with smart phone, yo-yo, read comic book, or whatever..
5.) Repeat 10 times. Maybe each time increasing the running. What I do is basically get some temp into it on the first start -3-4 minutes, then shut down. Then maybe go for a bit longer - maybe half a tank on the second cycle. Depends how it's acting, sounding, temps, etc.. You just want to keep getting fuel through it, preheating, running lightly with temps at 200-225, shut down, completely cool down with piston at BDC, repeat... With a Losi 454, it should be good to go after a good 8-10 tanks of a decent heat cycle break in. I'd lay off long, crazy WOT pulls for the first half gallon or so... Have fun..

ps I wouldn't trust the Spektrum telemetry for temps if it were me.... Get a heat gun if pos.

Highclod02 04-21-2013 10:36 PM

Thank you so much for the input. I can' wait to break in the engine. I any other hop ups that's recommended I'm a rookie at this stuff just getting back into the Rc world again. Thank you so much for the help.

Herrsavage 04-21-2013 10:41 PM

Check out the MT section - one under the Nitro Offroad section..

Also - almost forgot.. Do yourself a favor and get some good tools - 1/16 and 3/32 hex drivers in particular.

Highclod02 04-22-2013 12:49 PM

Ok thank you for your time and help I really appreciate it very much